collapse

Author Topic: Naming Children After the Gods?  (Read 12686 times)

fireface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2012, 09:12:05 pm »
Quote from: Vermillion;46131
I forgot something, so I'll quote myself.

I changed my name when I was 18 years old after years of ridicule.

My name was Cheetah, pronouned "Keet-tuh", but it didn't stop all the fun poking. It's not funny. So, think long and hard about the names you give your children because they can make or break a childhood.

All of the names you cite have relatively mundane and well known uses which is not equivalent to what I'm working with. My "antics" have more in common with naming a child something like Andor, Tyra or Iris. Rest assured that if the idea to name my child Spoon or Bridge ever crosses my mind then your advice will be followed.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 09:24:15 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46046
How do you feel about naming children after the Gods? I'm doing it myself with our next one. If it's a girl her middle name will be Eris. If it's a boy then his middle name will be Loki, Lokidor, or maybe even Lokidin.

Does anyone think there are any concerns for naming children in this manner? I like to consider all the angles of a situation.

What concerns did you have that prompted you to ask this question? Clearly they aren't the same concerns that other members have, so I'm curious what angle you were coming from.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:26 pm »
Quote from: fireface;46138
All of the names you cite have relatively mundane and well known uses which is not equivalent to what I'm working with. My "antics" have more in common with naming a child something like Andor, Tyra or Iris. Rest assured that if the idea to name my child Spoon or Bridge ever crosses my mind then your advice will be followed.

Well, with all due respect, you ASKED for opinions in this thread and that's exactly what you've gotten. However, you seem to be hellbent on refuting those opinions with some type of justifications on your part. In my opinion, there is NO justification for naming a child Loki, or Lokidor(however, Eris seems pretty benign). I'm not asking you to take my advice, as I don't really care what you do, frankly. This is what you get when you ask people how THEY feel about a certain subject.

Your "antics" have everything in common with naming a child something that might make their lives miserable. It's a fact.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:30:34 pm by Auress »

fireface

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Naming Children After the Gods?
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:59 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;46140
What concerns did you have that prompted you to ask this question? Clearly they aren't the same concerns that other members have, so I'm curious what angle you were coming from.

Well I had wondered if people would think of it as honoring the spirit of the Gods or if they had some reason that they thought it would be somehow disrespectful. I also wondered about the overall sound of the names as I do think that the "feel" of a name's sound can impart certain feelings in people. Overall most of the people we've talked to such as family and whatnot have reacted very favorably towards the names. Eris has been called pretty by many and Loki does get favorable reactions as well. That's still just a small sampling of people though and I seek further input.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 11:13:10 pm »

Does anyone think there are any concerns for naming children in this manner? I like to consider all the angles of a situation.

I think it would depend on the name. 'Diana' isn't likely to turn any heads, and one of my favourite authors is named 'Lilith' (you could just as easily call a child Lilian, though). I've encountered an Artemis and an Inanna offline, but as others have pointed out, Pagan parents back in the day didn't usually just give their kid a deity's name, they would give them names that meant "Praise to X" "Gift of Y" etc. King Nebuchadrezar (misspelled as 'Nebuchadnezar' in the Bible) means "Nabu-Protect-My-Boundary-Stone" (it's complicated lol). I don't suggest giving such a long name to any kid unless there's a cultural reason for it.

I think it would be unfair to give a child a name that comes with such big shoes to fill. Many Catholics name their children after saints they admire, but the saints are held up as role models for believers in a way that deities aren't. I should also note that while it would seem odd to North Americans to name a child "Jesus", it's actually pretty common in Latin America, the same way "Mary" is common here.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2012, 01:10:46 am »

There's a couple of issues.

Unusual names have their own complications. My parents wanted to name me Penelope, and my older siblings talked them out of it - both on the grounds that I'd get teased (which is solveable) but also on the grounds that a) people would be unable to spell it, and b) unable to pronounce it, with surprising regularity.

And you know what? They're dead right. I would have *hated* it with a passion for about 10 years of my formal education, think I'd love it as an adult, but lots of people make it rhyme with cantaloupe, and that would drive me up a wall.

(My legal first name is Jennifer, which people can generally spell. Very few people manage Jenett, which I go by everywhere but work these days, reliably.)

But there's also the issue that some names are very hard to live up to. As others have said, I'm not sure I'd want to parent a child named after a deity so strongly associated with chaos. The cats and other pets I've known who've been named Loki or Pooka or Eris by their humans are complicated enough.

One model that does work for people who want an unusual name is to pick a very common name for one part of the name (first or middle) and a less common one (or a less common spelling, or a less common pronunciation) for the other. That way, if the child decides later they just really don't like it, they have some choice without going through major name change gymnastics.

Thinking about all possible permutations of nicknames (and what those shorter names imply, as well) is a good start. Giving your child options (a name with multiple nicknames - we all know people who are Kate and not Cathy, probably) is a good choice, in one of their names. And it's especially true if one of their names is unusual, or may not suit their actual personality for some significant portion of their life (as people often grow into and out of nicknames or what they're called.)

In general, I think deity names are complicated. My recently late and dearly beloved cat was Athene, but it was the name she responded to out of a big long list, and she had a personality and temperament to suit (one of the smartest cats I've ever met.)

But I was really cautious about that. Because do you want to live with that energy in *your* life, and all the implications of it, for as long as you've got a relationship with that being? (Which is to say, if it's your kid, the rest of your life?) Sometimes it's the right choice.

But often, there's some sort of variant that gives you more variety of naming options, and that has more open doors for how that energy manifests than the relatively narrow options a deity name (particularly a deity name that other people have strong emotional reactions to) can manifest.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Etheric1

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2012, 01:17:58 am »
How do you feel about naming children after the Gods? I'm doing it myself with our next one. If it's a girl her middle name will be Eris. If it's a boy then his middle name will be Loki, Lokidor, or maybe even Lokidin.

I think it's completely inappropriate, and not fair to the child.  Honoring your god is great and all, but naming your child after one is, IMO, depriving the child part of their ability to be individuals as they grow by saying they're a tribute to a deity.  What if the child grows up and wants nothing to do with the faith?  Or is okay with the faith, but not the god?  This is too close to demanding a person grow up in one faith system, which is okay for some, but for me, I resented being forced to be Catholic and left it when I found something that was more true to my being, I would've HATED it if I was given them name Jesus.  And truthfully, it probably would have made it harder to leave a bad faith system as I probably would have felt I'd be disappointing my namesake and sinning even more.

I'll echo something that was already posted because I think it's worth repeating: kids can be very cruel too and they do not need added incentives to mock someone that's different and named after a god.  

Looking at having a child as a scared gift is wonderful.  But naming them after a god is taking it way too far.  Also, a lot of narcissistic parents (and I'm not saying you are one at all so please do not take it that way) put their kids on such a high pedestal it can be psychologically damaging to their development.  

And also, personally I'd rather keep my spiritual beliefs to myself and my family.  I do not broadcast them, as quite simply there are places in this country where tolerance is not all the common to different beliefs.  I do not want to force my child to deal with that until they have to.

Edit: and I DO think it is disrespectful to the deity.  Their name should be revered as a scared word, and the intention to raise my child anywhere near that I have a huge problem with.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:19:37 am by Etheric1 »
No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy. - Mel\'s Law of Dark Fluffs.
Nothing is more despicable than respect based on fear. – Albert Camus
You can easily judge the character of a person by how they treat those who can do nothing for them. - unknown
“We cannot change our memories, but we can change their meaning and the power they have over us” - David Seamands

mandrina

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2012, 09:38:24 am »
Quote from: fireface;46105
Or maybe they would be happy. Everyone's a little different.

Aphrodite might be happy, but let's admit, Aphrodite is a slut, even by modern standards (but one with taste), among many other things.  And that is one of the standards that I wouldn't necessarily want my child to live up to.

Actually the book (and movie) Freakonomics discusses names and the effect they have on peoples lives, in a fairly humorous fashion.
Katrina

"I have a bad feeling about this."  Every good guy in the Star Wars saga, and an occasional bad guy as well.

Mandi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2012, 09:40:26 am »
Quote from: Etheric1;46160

Edit: and I DO think it is disrespectful to the deity.  Their name should be revered as a scared word, and the intention to raise my child anywhere near that I have a huge problem with.

I agree about it being disrespectful. Then again, someone who is Christian or something mightn't think so, because they don't reverse these Gods. It's like them naming a child 'God' or 'Jesus' in a way. (But I think some Mexicans use Jesus pronouncing it hay-soos though? I'm Australian to forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong lol).
As for the whole, it's cruel thing ... I got made fun of for having the perfectly normal name 'Amanda'. (The jokes are obvious lol).
Kids will always find something to be cruel about. I love the name Persephone, but I wouldn't use it for my child.

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 11:11:58 am »

My biggest concern personally about naming one of my children after a God (or Goddess) would be with expectations.  Unless you use a very obscure deity, chances are that your child will run into people who know about the deity (on some level or another), and will have that image already in their mind before they actually get to know your child for who they really are.

My husband isn't Pagan, so we didn't consider less mainstream names.  My parents named me Jennifer, because it was an 'unusual' name when they were growing up.  Between the two of them, they had only known a couple of Jennifers their whole life, so they thought it would be unique.  Turns out it was the number 1 girl's name for the year I was born, I don't think I ever had a class in school without at least one other Jennifer.  My middle name was Rose, and I was very tomboy, so when I was younger I hated it for being very girly.  For such a normal name, I really disliked it as a child.  As an adult, I have grown into it mostly.

What I would ask myself, if it were me, is why do I want to name my child after a deity (and why that particular deity).  Am I choosing the name because I think it sounds nice (or because it sounds exotic)?  Am I choosing the name because I would like my child to be like the deity they are named after?  Am I choosing the name as a sort of honor given by me to the deity?  Am I planning on having other children (or if I already have other children) will they be named similarly?  If they are, will people be more judgmental of my family because I have named all my children after deities?  If not, will that make my kids feel more/less special because they were or were not the ones named after a deity?
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2012, 11:23:17 am »
Quote from: Etheric1;46160
I think it's completely inappropriate, and not fair to the child.  Honoring your god is great and all, but naming your child after one is, IMO, depriving the child part of their ability to be individuals as they grow by saying they're a tribute to a deity.  What if the child grows up and wants nothing to do with the faith?  Or is okay with the faith, but not the god?  This is too close to demanding a person grow up in one faith system, which is okay for some, but for me, I resented being forced to be Catholic and left it when I found something that was more true to my being, I would've HATED it if I was given them name Jesus.  And truthfully, it probably would have made it harder to leave a bad faith system as I probably would have felt I'd be disappointing my namesake and sinning even more.

I'll echo something that was already posted because I think it's worth repeating: kids can be very cruel too and they do not need added incentives to mock someone that's different and named after a god.  

Looking at having a child as a scared gift is wonderful.  But naming them after a god is taking it way too far.  Also, a lot of narcissistic parents (and I'm not saying you are one at all so please do not take it that way) put their kids on such a high pedestal it can be psychologically damaging to their development.  

And also, personally I'd rather keep my spiritual beliefs to myself and my family.  I do not broadcast them, as quite simply there are places in this country where tolerance is not all the common to different beliefs.  I do not want to force my child to deal with that until they have to.

I agree with this and the sentiments expressed by Jenett.

I also am not sure deities of the Greek panteon would take it that well - if called my daughter Athene, I kinda would feel like Arachne, claiming she could knit as well as the goddess. This is not to say that I think gods would take that anger on my kid, but they might be inclined to play some kind of practical joke on us...

In general, I believe names can be a powerful thing, and I feel like I should respect my gods' names as unique.

This said, I think there are exceptions to everything. I was called Antonella to honor the saint Anthony, whom my mom prayed to for a safe birth, as she had already experienced the pains of birthing a still-born once.

I never knew it until last year, but i today consider it pretty ironic given my current religious choices. :D:

Still, I can see myself calling my child Diana as thanks for a safe birth if prayed to the goddess for that.
I can see myself calling my child Melissa, who was one among Demeter's ephitets and a name given to her priestesses if i felt it was appropriated.

Or, if I wanted to honor Hekate for similiar or different reasons, or ask her blessing on  my daughter I would probably choose  a name with the Kat- root... like Katia or Caterina. They are names that wouldn't raise any bells among potential bullies, and both popular enough that my child wouldn't feel obligated to live up to anything and  and subtle enough that I would not feel uncomfortable about mishandling gods' names.

But, I must even say I am not a fan of naming children after anyone, especially relatives, lol. If I ever become a mother, I will probably choose the name according its etymology.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:49 am »
Quote from: Mandi;46180
It's like them naming a child 'God' or 'Jesus' in a way. (But I think some Mexicans use Jesus pronouncing it hay-soos though? I'm Australian to forgive my ignorance if I'm wrong lol).

Yes, Spanish-speakers pronounce the names of their children as if they were named in Spanish.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Mandi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 05:47:27 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;46186
Yes, Spanish-speakers pronounce the names of their children as if they were named in Spanish.

I think the sarcasm is rather uncalled for. There's a difference between 'I don't know how the Spanish pronounce this word' and 'I don't know that Spanish people have Spanish accents'.

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 08:17:39 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;46159

One model that does work for people who want an unusual name is to pick a very common name for one part of the name (first or middle) and a less common one (or a less common spelling, or a less common pronunciation) for the other. That way, if the child decides later they just really don't like it, they have some choice without going through major name change gymnastics.

Thinking about all possible permutations of nicknames (and what those shorter names imply, as well) is a good start. Giving your child options (a name with multiple nicknames - we all know people who are Kate and not Cathy, probably) is a good choice, in one of their names. And it's especially true if one of their names is unusual, or may not suit their actual personality for some significant portion of their life (as people often grow into and out of nicknames or what they're called.)

This is exactly what I did with my daughter. Her name is an old Welsh one, very pretty, very obscure even in Wales but  easy to spell. It is also very meaningful, far more so than I realised at the time when I picked it.

Her middle name  however is  Elizabeth. Very common and with many variants.

I would never consider naming a child after a deity - I would  consider it disrespectful.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:18:25 pm by Vale »

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »

I'm gonna go ahead and say no to this one. I think that it's a little disrespectful to them and just wouldn't find it very amusing.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Tags: