Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for a couple stone/crystal ideas  (Read 3628 times)

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Looking for a couple stone/crystal ideas
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:14 pm »
I'm hoping I can tap into the Cauldron's cumulative knowledge of rocks and crystals.  I need some ideas.

I've finally cleared off a shelf for some shrine space.  I've decided one thing I want is some rocks.  More specifically, I want some stones to represent the Elements (partially so I can have something I can pick up and carry around, and partially because some fancy stones are less conspicuous than more literal Elemental representations).

I see the Elements as a metaphorical representation of the physical world.  Therefore, the traditional four Greek Elements, Earth, Water, Air, and Fire, represent the four states of matter, respectively, solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.  I also think above, and below, should have their Elements, so I recognise two extra Elements, Chaos and Order, or quantum mechanics, and gravity, respectively, as well.

I'm trying to decide what sorts of stones best represent the Elements for me, and I'm having some trouble with the last two.  Unfortunately, Google isn't being much help, as when I try looking up stones associated with the Elements, it just gives me lists without giving a reason why.  And I need a why, a ‘this stone reminds me of X because...’ so that I can see the connection it has to that Element.

Here's what I've got so far.

Order is lodestone.  Lodestone is naturally magnetic rock (an iron ore, if I remember right).  This remindes me of Order being representative of gravity.  Of course, magnetism and gravity aren't the same thing at all, but they are both forces that keep things stuck together.

Fire is obsidian, i.e. volcanic glass.  Obsidian is formed by rapidly cooling lava.  In a sense, obsidian is a rock born of Fire.

Earth is petrified wood.  Of course, just about any stone is Earthy, by nature.  But petrified wood, which once was a tree, and now is a stone seems especially Earthy.

Air is pumice.  Yes, pumice is another volcanic rock, and could then be associated with Fire.  But pumice is Air because it floats on water.  In fact, it's the only rock that floats.

However, I'm absolutely stumped on what sort of rocks would be good representations for Water and Chaos. My meager knowledge of geology has been depleted.  I'm not even sure where to look to find ideas, at this point.  And, "because it's blue!" for Water really feels like a bit of a cop-out.  

I'm hoping someone here might be able to suggest some possible stones to me, or point me in a direction where I can read something more indepth about why various stones and crystals get associated with various things, so that I can do my own research.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:47:54 pm by Katefox »

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a couple stone/crystal ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:21:12 am »
Quote from: Katefox;45414

Order is lodestone.  Lodestone is naturally magnetic rock (an iron ore, if I remember right).  This remindes me of Order being representative of gravity.  Of course, magnetism and gravity aren't the same thing at all, but they are both forces that keep things stuck together.

Fire is obsidian, i.e. volcanic glass.  Obsidian is formed by rapidly cooling lava.  In a sense, obsidian is a rock born of Fire.

Earth is petrified wood.  Of course, just about any stone is Earthy, by nature.  But petrified wood, which once was a tree, and now is a stone seems especially Earthy.

Air is pumice.  Yes, pumice is another volcanic rock, and could then be associated with Fire.  But pumice is Air because it floats on water.  In fact, it's the only rock that floats.

However, I'm absolutely stumped on what sort of rocks would be good representations for Water and Chaos. My meager knowledge of geology has been depleted.  I'm not even sure where to look to find ideas, at this point.  And, "because it's blue!" for Water really feels like a bit of a cop-out.  

This sounds awesome, Katefox! There ARE so many stones to choose from, and a tonne of info to sift through. I've spent a great deal of time over the years reading geology texts, field guides, and whatnot, so I'm a little hard pressed to think of an easy entry to stones/associations. Leafing through field guides at your library can help you pinpoint specific stones you'd like to study, and that might help narrow your search.

I also have a few ideas for a water stone for you! There's a group of stones that contain water molecules in their chemical make-up and would probably be suitable in a very literal sense (hydrates). Some stones include apophyllite, natrolite, and stillbite.

Stromatolite is formed from fossilized layers of cyanobacteria which lived in water, so in that vein, you could use any water-related fossil, or hydrothermal deposit too...

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 11:03:41 am »
I'm hoping I can tap into the Cauldron's cumulative knowledge of rocks and crystals.  I need some ideas.

I've finally cleared off a shelf for some shrine space.  I've decided one thing I want is some rocks.  More specifically, I want some stones to represent the Elements (partially so I can have something I can pick up and carry around, and partially because some fancy stones are less conspicuous than more literal Elemental representations).

I see the Elements as a metaphorical representation of the physical world.  Therefore, the traditional four Greek Elements, Earth, Water, Air, and Fire, represent the four states of matter, respectively, solid, liquid, gas, and plasma.  I also think above, and below, should have their Elements, so I recognise two extra Elements, Chaos and Order, or quantum mechanics, and gravity, respectively, as well.

I'm trying to decide what sorts of stones best represent the Elements for me, and I'm having some trouble with the last two.  Unfortunately, Google isn't being much help, as when I try looking up stones associated with the Elements, it just gives me lists without giving a reason why.  And I need a why, a ‘this stone reminds me of X because...’ so that I can see the connection it has to that Element.

Here's what I've got so far.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to suggest some possible stones to me, or point me in a direction where I can read something more indepth about why various stones and crystals get associated with various things, so that I can do my own research.

I'm not sure how this might help, but a website that I use to buy my stones from has them so that you can view them via the ailments they're associated with. One of the "ailments" happens to be chaos, so I thought I'd give you the (meager) listing of those stones: Here you go! I looked up water, too, just in case, but I couldn't find anything.

There are some stones that will melt if you wash them in water. How about one of those to signify water?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 12:16:56 pm »
Quote from: MarieBay;45421
I also have a few ideas for a water stone for you! There's a group of stones that contain water molecules in their chemical make-up and would probably be suitable in a very literal sense (hydrates). Some stones include apophyllite, natrolite, and stillbite.

Oh, brilliant.  I had no idea such stones existed, but I really like the idea of having a stone that literally contains water. And apophyllite has such lovely natural crystal formations.  Thank you. :)

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 12:20:41 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45450
I'm not sure how this might help, but a website that I use to buy my stones from has them so that you can view them via the ailments they're associated with. One of the "ailments" happens to be chaos, so I thought I'd give you the (meager) listing of those stones: Here you go! I looked up water, too, just in case, but I couldn't find anything.

There are some stones that will melt if you wash them in water. How about one of those to signify water?

Interesting.  I'm not really seeing how those stones are particularly chaos-like, but I've bookmarked the website anyway because I'm going to have to buy some stones eventually, and it might come in handy for that.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »
Quote from: Katefox;45460
Interesting.  I'm not really seeing how those stones are particularly chaos-like, but I've bookmarked the website anyway because I'm going to have to buy some stones eventually, and it might come in handy for that.

The website is fantastic. They have great customer service and with every order, they give you a little coupon for ten percent off. They also give you a little black bag to put the rocks in (if you so desire) and a "free gift" which is almost always a quartz point. I have lots of quartz points. It's also a non-profit and they're not big on naming stones just because they can, so double bonus!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if those stones were really "chaos material." I'm not good at figuring that kind of stuff out. I'm pretty much, "Oh, hey. There are elements. Well, that's interesting," and that's about it. Good luck on your search, though!
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:28:42 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45490
The website is fantastic. They have great customer service and with every order, they give you a little coupon for ten percent off. They also give you a little black bag to put the rocks in (if you so desire) and a "free gift" which is almost always a quartz point. I have lots of quartz points. It's also a non-profit and they're not big on naming stones just because they can, so double bonus!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if those stones were really "chaos material." I'm not good at figuring that kind of stuff out. I'm pretty much, "Oh, hey. There are elements. Well, that's interesting," and that's about it. Good luck on your search, though!

Oh, cool.  That's all really good to know!  Thanks.

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »

Maybe black opal for chaos? All the little different flecks of sparkly color make me think of chaos. I personally associate labradorite with watery stuff, but that's more personal UPG than anything else.
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 11:27:40 pm »

Amber is not a stone per se but it comes from an earthy tree, traps things of flight sometimes, hardens in air and some pieces float very well, some pieces linger halfway down underwater.

Shale represents the water to me because it filters the streams around here and lines banks and beaches and it skips the best of any rock. Sedimentary. It can't form without water really.

Chaos makes me think metamorphic - granite or marble. Something changed and changing.

Brainstormin' good fun this is!

I just looked up the 3 basic rock types and ancient memories of junior high science projects have now invaded my psyche.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:32:19 pm by Annie Roonie »

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 11:40:03 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;45450

Thanks for the link, SatSekhem! I like the sound of this site :)

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 11:45:50 pm »
Quote from: Katefox;45459
Oh, brilliant.  I had no idea such stones existed, but I really like the idea of having a stone that literally contains water. And apophyllite has such lovely natural crystal formations.  Thank you. :)

Glad to help! I just remembered that some stones even contain droplets of liquid inside them. Mostly quartzes (usually called "enhydro" crystals), and they're usually pricey and really hard to find.

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 12:16:55 am »
Quote from: Erinnightwalker;45510
Maybe black opal for chaos? All the little different flecks of sparkly color make me think of chaos. I personally associate labradorite with watery stuff, but that's more personal UPG than anything else.

This isn't a stone per se, but what about coral for water? (Although I have no idea how easy it would be to get, unless you live near a beach, or know someone who does.)
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 08:45:06 pm »
Quote from: Erinnightwalker;45510

Oh!  Black opals are beautiful.  Some of them kind of look like they're full of stars.  I wish I could afford one, but they are kind of expensive.

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 08:54:08 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;45515
Amber is not a stone per se but it comes from an earthy tree, traps things of flight sometimes, hardens in air and some pieces float very well, some pieces linger halfway down underwater.

Haha, that makes amber like an everything stone.  Although just about the first thing I think of in relation to amber is Jurassic Park. xD

Chaos makes me think metamorphic - granite or marble. Something changed and changing.

I hadn't thought of that.  That's an interesting idea.

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 08:56:09 pm »
Quote from: MarieBay;45518
Glad to help! I just remembered that some stones even contain droplets of liquid inside them. Mostly quartzes (usually called "enhydro" crystals), and they're usually pricey and really hard to find.

That's really quite neat.  Although I like the idea of my Water rock being one where water is integral to its make-up, like the apophyllite, and others you mentioned originally.

Tags: