Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Newbie, Questions on Irish Reconstructionism  (Read 5894 times)

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Newbie, Questions on Irish Reconstructionism
« on: March 06, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »
So I am looking into Irish reconstructionism and am a little lost as where to begin, I am hoping for some helpful links on: cosmology, the Gods and Goddesses, afterlife. etc.

So far I have found these sites:
http://paganachd.com/faq/
http://www.imbas.org/
http://delawarevalleyceltic.org/
http://www.gaolnaofa.com/

I am really hoping for more scholarly sources such as PDF documents. Thanks for any help and oh books are welcome too since most of the books i have seen are on druidism not CR.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:45:26 pm by Meritmut »

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Newbie, Questions on Irish Reconstructionism
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 04:59:28 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;45097
So I am looking into Irish reconstructionism and am a little lost as where to begin, I am hoping for some helpful links on: cosmology, the Gods and Goddesses, afterlife. etc.

So far I have found these sites:
http://paganachd.com/faq/
http://www.imbas.org/
http://delawarevalleyceltic.org/
http://www.gaolnaofa.com/

I am really hoping for more scholarly sources such as PDF documents. Thanks for any help and oh books are welcome too since most of the books i have seen are on druidism not CR.

From what you've posted: The CR FAQ at paganachd.com is good, but it was something of a compromise between the writers, so not all pieces are entirely applicable to everyone. (This is pretty much true of everything in reconstructionist paths, I think.) Imbas.org has been quiet for a while, I think, but still has some good info. I think Seren runs Gaol Naofa, or is at least involved somehow? The third link I have no experience with, personally.

Seren's blogs Tairis & Tairis Tales are great resources.  For books, we often direct people to the CR FAQ's reading list. I'm not personally aware of any books specifically from a CR point of view, but I also haven't been keeping up with the market in that area, so I could easily be wrong.

I think you can download the Irish Perceptions of the Cosmos by Liam Mac Mathúna as a PDF. I don't think Land, Sea & Sky is available to download, but it's been online forever, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I'm not CR, myself, but I'm sure others will chime in with things that I haven't. :)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 05:07:16 pm »
Quote from: Juni;45099
From what you've posted: The CR FAQ at paganachd.com is good, but it was something of a compromise between the writers, so not all pieces are entirely applicable to everyone. (This is pretty much true of everything in reconstructionist paths, I think.) Imbas.org has been quiet for a while, I think, but still has some good info. I think Seren runs Gaol Naofa, or is at least involved somehow? The third link I have no experience with, personally.

You might also take a look at http://technovate.org/web/

The Nemeton list, which has been quiet for a long time, seems to be experiencing a little flurry of renewed activity now.

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:13:45 pm »

Seren's blogs Tairis & Tairis Tales are great resources.  For books, we often direct people to the CR FAQ's reading list. I'm not personally aware of any books specifically from a CR point of view, but I also haven't been keeping up with the market in that area, so I could easily be wrong.

I think you can download the Irish Perceptions of the Cosmos by Liam Mac Mathúna as a PDF. I don't think Land, Sea & Sky is available to download, but it's been online forever, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I'm not CR, myself, but I'm sure others will chime in with things that I haven't. :)

Thanks so much for your input ^_^ and the blog links especially

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:14:10 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;45104
You might also take a look at http://technovate.org/web/

The Nemeton list, which has been quiet for a long time, seems to be experiencing a little flurry of renewed activity now.

Thanks so much!

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:19:41 am »

Thanks for the plug :) I don't run Gaol Naofa myself, I'm currently serving as Leas-Uachtarán (Vice-President) and I've contributed to some of the content on the website. Treasa Ní Chonchobhair runs Gaol Naofa, and has a blog here and a tumblr here, which might also be of use.

I also run Tairis.co.uk, and although I'm Scottish in focus there's a lot there that's relevant to the Irish Polytheist/Reconstructionist as well, I think. I have an article on the afterlife there, which is part of a larger section on cosmology, and a whole bunch of articles on the gods. Some of it needs a bit of an overhaul, but hopefully it will help enough :)

ETA: I also have a list of articles for download on the site (found via Google Scholar mostly, so they're all legit). They're all academic, rather than specifically CR, but there are some articles that might be helpful for cosmology etc.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:23:42 am by Seren »

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:22:00 pm »
Quote from: Seren;45159
Thanks for the plug :) I don't run Gaol Naofa myself, I'm currently serving as Leas-Uachtarán (Vice-President) and I've contributed to some of the content on the website. Treasa Ní Chonchobhair runs Gaol Naofa, and has a blog here and a tumblr here, which might also be of use.

I also run Tairis.co.uk, and although I'm Scottish in focus there's a lot there that's relevant to the Irish Polytheist/Reconstructionist as well, I think. I have an article on the afterlife there, which is part of a larger section on cosmology, and a whole bunch of articles on the gods. Some of it needs a bit of an overhaul, but hopefully it will help enough :)

ETA: I also have a list of articles for download on the site (found via Google Scholar mostly, so they're all legit). They're all academic, rather than specifically CR, but there are some articles that might be helpful for cosmology etc.

I have been looking at your site all day lol. Its full of amazing information :) Thank you for the Articles and other links as well. This has to be one of the most helpful and kind forums I have been on ^^

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:30:45 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;45097

In that area academic books dealing with history, mythology, folklore, e.t.c. are a lot more "friendly" than ones targeted towards the "pagan" community, however that's not always the case, as there are a few brilliant authors for the latter as well.

That being said, it looks like you've already been pointed into the right direction. I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for in the great sources provided :)
Semper Fidelis

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:20:19 pm »
I don't think Land, Sea & Sky is available to download, but it's been online forever, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I'm going to attempt to make a PDF of this at some point. If it turns out well, I'll post the methodology I used so others can make their own personal copy. I don't believe the site permissions allow me to just make a PDF and distribute the actual file... but I'd rather have a copy to read on my Kindle than on a back-lit screen.

Karen

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 03:27:25 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;45209
I'm going to attempt to make a PDF of this at some point. If it turns out well, I'll post the methodology I used so others can make their own personal copy. I don't believe the site permissions allow me to just make a PDF and distribute the actual file... but I'd rather have a copy to read on my Kindle than on a back-lit screen.

Karen

A pdf is already available - just click here! I'm not sure how long the link will work, but I've saved a copy and can email it if anyone has any problems.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:22 pm »
Quote from: Seren;45286
A pdf is already available - just click here! I'm not sure how long the link will work, but I've saved a copy and can email it if anyone has any problems.

Thanks Seren! And thank you for pointing us towards your article collection: there are a bunch in there I've missed. :)
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 05:29:58 pm »
Quote from: Seren;45159

Does anyone have a reliable source for information on the Tuatha Dé, Information like roles, siblings, wives, children etc. I have been looking all day but I keep running into Wiccan/New age sites and I am looking for something reliable. I have ordered Dictionary of Celtic Mythology (Oxford Paperback Reference), is this a good source for the Irish Gods?

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 06:55:21 pm »
Quote from: Meritmut;45385
Does anyone have a reliable source for information on the Tuatha Dé, Information like roles, siblings, wives, children etc. I have been looking all day but I keep running into Wiccan/New age sites and I am looking for something reliable. I have ordered Dictionary of Celtic Mythology (Oxford Paperback Reference), is this a good source for the Irish Gods?

The best encyclopedia you can get is this one (IMHO). MacKillop is OK but there are some things he presents as fact that are a little questionable, and really his own opinion. It's good to use it as a starting point, but I would recommend that you double check things before you commit yourself to any one view.

The problem with trying to pin the gods down into familial relationships is that there are conflicting accounts, so one myth will tell you one thing and another myth will tell you something entirely different. The Lebor Gabála Érenn is a good place to look if you want to do you your own research, but you'll quickly find that even that contradicts itself all over the place. The Irish gods are deities who are linked to particular places, particular people; their relationships with each other can sometimes be tweaked here and there, for lots of different reasons, so it's maybe not something you want to take too seriously unless you find relationships that really are consistent. It's extremely complicated.

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:20 pm »
Quote from: Seren;45392
The best encyclopedia you can get is this one (IMHO). MacKillop is OK but there are some things he presents as fact that are a little questionable, and really his own opinion. It's good to use it as a starting point, but I would recommend that you double check things before you commit yourself to any one view.

The problem with trying to pin the gods down into familial relationships is that there are conflicting accounts, so one myth will tell you one thing and another myth will tell you something entirely different. The Lebor Gabála Érenn is a good place to look if you want to do you your own research, but you'll quickly find that even that contradicts itself all over the place. The Irish gods are deities who are linked to particular places, particular people; their relationships with each other can sometimes be tweaked here and there, for lots of different reasons, so it's maybe not something you want to take too seriously unless you find relationships that really are consistent. It's extremely complicated.

Thanks for all your help :)  Would you happen to know of a source that details the Gods realm of influence (Brigid Goddess of Fire)? I have been looking on several recon sites but can't find a list anywhere except on new age sites.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:41:06 pm by Meritmut »

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Newbie, Questions on Irish Reconstructionism
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 11:22:47 am »
Quote from: Meritmut;45399
Thanks for all your help :)  Would you happen to know of a source that details the Gods realm of influence (Brigid Goddess of Fire)? I have been looking on several recon sites but can't find a list anywhere except on new age sites.

I'd be surprised if you find the kind of detail you're looking for online, but try the Mary Jones site to start. (Sorry -- I'm sitting in a hospital waiting room right now and can't do the link for you, but you'll find it if you google something like "Mary Jones Celtic".)

I think you'll have better luck with books, but most of them won't cover all the god/desses in detail.  Actually, there isn't much detail left on most of them, especially considering that many Celtic god/desses are only known from a single inscription.

Are you looking for info on any particular god/dess?  You mentioned Brighid.  If you're interested in info on Her, there's a sticky thread in the TC Cill SIG that lists a ton of books and sites that we've collected over the years.

~Aster

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: