"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Upcoming surgery  (Read 5032 times)

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Upcoming surgery
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:18:11 pm »
Just found out I need surgery to have my gallbladder removed. Gallstones were confirmed today. Meeting with surgeon tomorrow at 3pm (CDT) for consult. Surgery usually scares me, and I'm feeling quite apprehensive about it.

Thanks! ;)
Conformity is the death of individualism

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Upcoming surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:22:20 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;2603

Had mine out in 2005. As long as you don't find out the surgeon used the terms "charcoal briquet" and "gallstones" in the same sentence you'll be better off than I was. :)

Seriously: It's surgery, but it's routine, and if you're at all like me you'll feel a thousand times better for that thing being gone. I had the most miserable holiday season EVER the winter before mine came out. If they're doing your laparoscopically, you'll have four teeny scars (can't even see mine, now--and one was inside my navel to start with LOLOL), a few days of post-op discomfort, and then TAH DAH! All good again.

Mantras coming your way if you're amenable.
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:23:32 pm »
Just found out I need surgery to have my gallbladder removed. Gallstones were confirmed today. Meeting with surgeon tomorrow at 3pm (CDT) for consult. Surgery usually scares me, and I'm feeling quite apprehensive about it.

Thanks! ;)

Oh my goodness! Prayers and wellwishings sent! {{outlaw393}}
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:08:57 pm »
Just found out I need surgery to have my gallbladder removed.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be sure and let us know when your surgery will be.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 11:44:14 pm »
Quote from: Starglade;2605
Had mine out in 2005. As long as you don't find out the surgeon used the terms "charcoal briquet" and "gallstones" in the same sentence you'll be better off than I was. :)

Seriously: It's surgery, but it's routine, and if you're at all like me you'll feel a thousand times better for that thing being gone. I had the most miserable holiday season EVER the winter before mine came out. If they're doing your laparoscopically, you'll have four teeny scars (can't even see mine, now--and one was inside my navel to start with LOLOL), a few days of post-op discomfort, and then TAH DAH! All good again.

That's a really close match with my own experiences, other than the year; I got my Irritable Bag of Rocks yanked in February of last year (the surgeon didn't use the term "charcoal briquet", but he did hold his fingers 'bout that far apart when describing the larger of my two stones).

It was remarkably easy, and while my wee scars are still visible, they faded to "inobtrusive" by only a few months after, and are continuing to fade - sometimes have to hunt for them even though I know where to look.

If I ever try to compile a list of "smartest things I ever did", this'll be on it.

Wishing you luck for as good an outcome as mine, Outlaw!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 02:21:10 am »

Thanks! ;)

You'll feel so much better with them gone. You'll be in my thoughts.
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 08:23:22 am »

Thanks! ;)

You are going to feel so much better - I know I do now that mine is out!

(Of course, my surgeon looked at my ultrasounds and said, 'Wow'.  One never wants a surgeon to say 'Wow' about anything.)
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:38:53 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;2911
You are going to feel so much better - I know I do now that mine is out!

(Of course, my surgeon looked at my ultrasounds and said, 'Wow'.  One never wants a surgeon to say 'Wow' about anything.)

I'll posit that "Wow" is right up there with "Oops" on the list of Things One Never Wants a Surgeon to Say (Within Earshot).
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:08:51 am »
Just found out I need surgery to have my gallbladder removed.

I hope you feel better after the surgery and you heal fast!

Wood Rose

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:18:53 am »

Thanks! ;)

Good luck and well wishes.

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 09:01:16 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;2911

You don't ever want to hear a doctor say "ewww" either. lol.

Thanks to all of you for your support. Went today to my surgical consult and I have to wait 3 weeks until surgery. Tuesday is my pre-surgical physical. I am getting depressed lately though because I want to eat REAL food. Fat free food - most of it - is nasty, tastes fake or partially spoiled. lol. ;)

He says he's going to do it laproscoptically. Four tiny incisions. Though he warns me, about 1% of the time he needs to actually do it the old fashioned way - a 5" cut below the rib cage. Yikes. And that would make me stay 3-5 days in the hospital.

Three more weeks of this. Not sure how sane I'll be by then.
Surgery date is 7/28 at 2pm CDT. I have to arrive at 1140, and check in then. Not sure what they're going to do with me for 2.5 hours. Play soccer in the parking lot?? LOL

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 09:04:00 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;3120

Three more weeks of this. Not sure how sane I'll be by then.
Surgery date is 7/28 at 2pm CDT. I have to arrive at 1140, and check in then. Not sure what they're going to do with me for 2.5 hours. Play soccer in the parking lot?? LOL

They'll be setting you up in that time. Like talking to you, putting numbing cream on where the IV will go. Or at least that's how it went for me. Then again, my surgery was a bit more dangerous. :D I highly suggest bringing a book with you, because you'll probably spend quite a bit of time sitting in various chairs waiting.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

JuniperMorgan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://courtneygalloway.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 09:50:09 pm »
Quote from: outlaw393;3120
Went today to my surgical consult and I have to wait 3 weeks until surgery. Tuesday is my pre-surgical physical. I am getting depressed lately though because I want to eat REAL food. Fat free food - most of it - is nasty, tastes fake or partially spoiled. lol. ;)

He says he's going to do it laproscoptically. Four tiny incisions.

I'll be keeping a candle lit for you for a successful procedure and recovery.  While I haven't had my gallbladder out, I've waited in the waiting room for these procedures twice now for family.  Both had laproscopic procedures and are healthy and well now.  Chin up and stay strong, you'll feel much better once it's all over and done with.
You can also find my ramblings at my blog although I\'m not the best at regular updates.  I\'m working on fixing that. Or look for me on FB here or Google+ here. :)

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 10:02:32 pm »
Quote from: JuniperMorgan;3140
I'll be keeping a candle lit for you for a successful procedure and recovery.  While I haven't had my gallbladder out, I've waited in the waiting room for these procedures twice now for family.  Both had laproscopic procedures and are healthy and well now.  Chin up and stay strong, you'll feel much better once it's all over and done with.

Thanks :) The date is under question. Just noticed the sheet they printed out for me and the sheet with my surgical instructions have 2 different dates on them. Hoping I can get the earlier date. Gotta wait till monday to call. Ah, the suspense!

KittyVel

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 08:37:08 pm »

Thanks! ;)

Prayers sent.  I hope everything goes well.
<3 Rest in peace, Christiana. I love you so much, and I miss you like crazy already. At least you\'re not hurting anymore...May you ascend. <3

Tags: