+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsTagger First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Thoughts for Max the cat

I just found out via FB that my neighbour is taking their cat, Max, to the vet tomorrow afternoon, and there is a reasonable chance he won't be coming back with them.

He's 21 years old and his health has been kind of declining in the last couple of years, but besides aging he's always been a healthy cat for an outdoor/indoor one. I've known him for nearly my entire life (I moved to the neighbourhood when I was four) and it didn't hit me until I was talking about this somewhere else that he is probably my oldest friend, as my parents didn't allow for us to have pets (until we recently rescued one), and was the only friend I had that didn't later turn their back on me (I realize how awkward this sounds as I'm talking about a cat, but well...). I'm still trying to cope with the idea that the last time I saw him was well over a month ago, and that might be the last time I'll will be able to talk to him and not being able to say goodbye. :/

Any kind words, thoughts, or energy for him would be much appreciated. No one wants to lose him, and I hope maybe it's just something that can be fixed rather than having to put him down for, but... well, I'm aware that's optimistic thinking. If it has to happen, I hope it's peaceful and not painful for him.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Nyktipolos; 13 Feb 2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: forgot a word.
    "Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
    On the Rivers

Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Gore is on a distinguished road Gore's Avatar
    Last Online
    18 Mar 2014 @ 08:01 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Heathen

Re: Thoughts for Max the cat

Quote Originally Posted by Nyktipolos View Post
    I just found out via FB that my neighbour is taking their cat, Max, to the vet tomorrow afternoon, and there is a reasonable chance he won't be coming back with them.

He's 21 years old and his health has been kind of declining in the last couple of years, but besides aging he's always been a healthy cat for an outdoor/indoor one. I've known him for nearly my entire life (I moved to the neighbourhood when I was four) and it didn't hit me until I was talking about this somewhere else that he is probably my oldest friend, as my parents didn't allow for us to have pets (until we recently rescued one), and was the only friend I had that didn't later turn their back on me (I realize how awkward this sounds as I'm talking about a cat, but well...). I'm still trying to cope with the idea that the last time I saw him was well over a month ago, and that might be the last time I'll will be able to talk to him and not being able to say goodbye. :/

Any kind words, thoughts, or energy for him would be much appreciated. No one wants to lose him, and I hope maybe it's just something that can be fixed rather than having to put him down for, but... well, I'm aware that's optimistic thinking. If it has to happen, I hope it's peaceful and not painful for him.

Thanks guys.
    21 years? Damn that's an old cat! Older then i that is for sure. I don't think it is weird to be wishing the best for this cat, he has been in your life just as long as most people. Be optimistic! Never hurts to wish for the best! I sure wish him well!

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience PointsThree Friends
    fallenangel is on a distinguished road fallenangel's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Jun 2012 @ 06:19 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Christian/Green witch/kitchen witch/candle magic.

He's 21 years old and his health has been kind of declining in the last couple of years, I'm still trying to cope with the idea that the last time I saw him was well over a month ago, and that might be the last time I'll will be able to talk to him and not being able to say goodbye. :/
    Saying goodbye to an animal is very hard....When my Lab was killed, I found this poem and read it to my kids...it helped them a great deal.

http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive500 Experience Points3 months registered
    Aqua is on a distinguished road Aqua's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Aug 2012 @ 06:50 AM
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Pagan

Thanks guys.
    All my good thoughts for Max and your family.

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:04 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

::Good thoughts for Max, his family and friends::
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Mahjong Champion Starglade is on a distinguished road Starglade's Avatar
    Last Online
    2 Feb 2014 @ 03:35 PM
    Country
    USA
    Midwest, about an hour's drive from a Great Lake
    Religion
    Tibetan Buddhism with FlameKeeping overlay

Oh my goodness--twenty-one years old! He's had a grand life, hasn't he.

Keeping Max, his people, and you in my thoughts. ::and looking over at Peekaboo/Mister Boo, who's 19 this spring::
    "The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
    http://grammargeddon.com

Journeyman Achievements:
    Three Friends31 days registered500 Experience Points
    stitchinwith is on a distinguished road stitchinwith's Avatar
    Last Online
    2 Mar 2012 @ 03:18 AM
    Country
    Scotland
    Religion
    Solitary

My kind thoughts go out to Max, his family and to you.

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    victoreia is on a distinguished road victoreia's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:19 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    armchair Shin'a'in, student of headology
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Thanks guys.
    {{{{Nyktipolos, Max, and family}}}}

21 is definitely a good long time for a cat!

And I don't find it strange at all to refer to Max as your closest friend. I felt that way about my Tabby; she was 18 when I had to let her go.
    Do. Or do not. There is no try. --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsTagger First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

I don't have the details of what really happened, but Max was euthanized when they took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. They've always been responsible pet owners, so I can probably make a safe guess that he was sick enough that keeping him alive was only going to leave him miserable and possibly in pain for what time he had left.

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone. I really do appreciate it (and helps me not feel weird for feeling he was one of my oldest friends).

A thousand of every good thing for Max. May he ascend.

(I don't think it's totally sunk in yet, other than when I finally cried after hearing the news last night. So I apologize if this sounds cold/short/rude/etc.)
    "Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
    On the Rivers

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    victoreia is on a distinguished road victoreia's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:19 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    armchair Shin'a'in, student of headology
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

(I don't think it's totally sunk in yet, other than when I finally cried after hearing the news last night. So I apologize if this sounds cold/short/rude/etc.)
    {{{{Nyktipolos}}}} Grief takes many forms, and all we can do is hobble through it, as best we can.
    Do. Or do not. There is no try. --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast