Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Today at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Today at 07:44:49 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 07:21:31 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 07:13:48 pm]

Author Topic: How did you first meet your deity/deities?  (Read 9208 times)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
How did you first meet your deity/deities?
« on: February 29, 2012, 06:11:00 pm »
So, as some of you may know I'm new to the paganism bandwagon. I have no idea how to approach the gods, or which ones I really want to approach for that matter. So, I was wondering how you all did it? I know some of you had the gods come up to you basically going "wassup! so, you're mine now, let's get going shall we?" but still, I'm sure all of you at some point had to decide which deity you wanted to approach and how to go about approaching them. How did you do this? Any tips for me? Please and thank you.
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: How did you first meet your deity/deities?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 06:41:50 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;44529
So, as some of you may know I'm new to the paganism bandwagon. I have no idea how to approach the gods, or which ones I really want to approach for that matter. So, I was wondering how you all did it? I know some of you had the gods come up to you basically going "wassup! so, you're mine now, let's get going shall we?" but still, I'm sure all of you at some point had to decide which deity you wanted to approach and how to go about approaching them. How did you do this? Any tips for me? Please and thank you.

Dear Aine,

I've always knew they were there taking care of me, but I just decided which ones I should honor after much soulsearching and many years of research on all possible kinds of pagan paths. Once I knew who, what and why I was, finally I could select the best path for me, and turns out that it was the most basic, primitive kind that suits me better.

Hope you have patience and humbleness to deeply meet the most important person of your life: yourself.

Bright blessings,

Cheers!

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »

Aine,
The question you should ask yourself is, what do you actually expect from a relationship with a deity. Is it some ecstatic mystical experience, or patronage over some area of your life, or do you just feel that you "have" to worship gods, since you are a beginning Pagan? Do you have some particular deity or pantheon in mind?
According to your profile, you are trying to reconcile Christianity with Witchcraft - where do the pagan Gods fit into this for you?

In my experience, Apollon wasn't subtle with me. First there was a strange overwhelming feeling in a historical museum, near the statues from his temple (I already was honoring the Hellenic Gods at the time, although I didn't have any intention to be devoted to one of them in particularly, and most certainly not to Apollon), then there were several dreams several nights in a row, in which he appeared, then some uncanny coincidences... then, when I actually took my time to consider all this, I was actually laughing because of how obvious his influence over my life in the past and in present seemed now. Overall, the feeling of getting to know him was strangely similar to falling in love.

Silverlight

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://lianslalas.bloglspot.com
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 07:50:05 pm »

Aine for me it was kind of a simple measure that I took.  I was having a lot of trouble, and I had been experimenting with different religions.  One night, I looked out the window at the moon and prayed to "any goddess out there" and asked her for help.  Practically the next day, I felt a comforting presence, as if someone were there next to me.  Since then, I have grown with her and communicated with her to a point where she identified herself with me.  I don't know if that is helpful, but I would say don't give up because even though you might not see them right away they are there.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:21:08 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;44531
Aine,
The question you should ask yourself is, what do you actually expect from a relationship with a deity. Is it some ecstatic mystical experience, or patronage over some area of your life, or do you just feel that you "have" to worship gods, since you are a beginning Pagan? Do you have some particular deity or pantheon in mind?
According to your profile, you are trying to reconcile Christianity with Witchcraft - where do the pagan Gods fit into this for you?

oh, well I haven't changed my profile yet lol I honestly don't know where the pagan gods would fit if I remained firmly connected to my Christian roots. As far as what I expect from my relationship with deity, I don't expect ecstatic mystical experiences, nor do I feel like I "have" to worship them. I want a relationship with them because I like having one. Knowing they're there, talking to them, knowing I always have help and love. Like a parent I guess, but not quite. Basically the same sort of relationship I was encouraged to have with Jesus while growing up. I don't feel like I have to worship, but it's very important and comforting to me. I like having a relationship with deity.

Umm, I'm not sure about the particular deity/pantheon thing. I started researching Kemeticism recently and I feel like that could be a good way to go pantheon-wise.

Sorchae

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:54:32 pm »

I did a lot of research into different pantheons, and nothing every rung a bell with me with any of the deities. I never felt right just choosing a deity and worshiping them, but my search persisted for four years. It was after that point that I decided to give up and allow the deity to approach me on their own if they wanted me to worship them. However, because of all my searching I ignored all the signs there that there had been a Goddess in my life the entire time. I never realized She was even there until about a month before Her holy day (Ɠimelc/Imbolc). She had been so subtle and gentle with me that I never noticed her until then. I never decided on Her beforehand, or even approached Her before.

The way Nachtigall mentioned about finding the deity being similar to falling in love was correct. I adore my patron goddess. When I write Her poems or read Her invocations or some kind of literature I always seem to feel an immense sense of warmth. Also, a lot of Nachtigall's questions were good, and it seems from your latest reply that you are finding the answers to them slowly.

Brighid's name always seemed to stick out to me whenever I visited different websites that had Her name, and then that lead to researching Her from curiosity, and then the realization of Her subtle calls over the years. It wasn't until recently She gave me a bit of a non-subtle push. I think She thought I was ready and a bit more mature in my practice to accept Her, even though now my practice has drastically changed because of Her (for the good).

My advice would be to research as many pantheons as possible, just be patient, and be welcoming of any signs you may see. Sometimes you may have to step back from researching and just work on yourself first. Let me quote something from a friend:
"Deity is like a mirror. If you love yourself, it will reflect back through deity. Deity responds to you, just as you respond to it. If you love yourself, deity will love you. If you don't, deity will still love you, but you won't see it."

Hope this helps.

BeannachtaĆ­,
Sorchae

Aynfean

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:41:41 am »
So, I was wondering how you all did it?

For years I never had a patron deity. I worked with the Earth Goddess and that was it. (The whole coming into an acceptance of a male deity is a story for another post and another can of worms lol). There were a few Goddesses I'd read of over the years that were interesting to me, but I waited until several very moving and powerful visions from the Morrigan followed by a few confirmations before declaring myself Hers.

However that said, if there is a God or Goddess that calls out to you why not approach them? At the risk of sounding all "fluffy bunny" I don't want you to underestimate the power of your intention. How to approach them? Research the deity - ways and traditions that were typically used to give them honor. Some of that should stand out to you, incorporate that and either cast a circle with the intention of meeting them, or set up an altar, whatever works with your personal path.

As for the relationship. I wouldn't say I worship the Morrigan or the Horned God. I honor and serve them, yes... worship, maybe not so much. They are who I call on, I give them my thanks and there is an altar in my house dedicated to the Morrigan (still working on the Horned God ~ that's a new thing).

In the end it's a personal thing. What my relationship with the Morrigan looks like would be different than anyone else that follows her.
Journal of a Wandering Witch ~ http://aynfean.wordpress.com

Lore

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:19:10 pm »

Greetings! Welcome to the bandwagon :D: Sorry, couldn't help myself.

For me, it ironically all started at a Renaissance Faire for me. This was during a very bad time in my life, where I was looking for any kind of light or guidance of any sort. Seeing a stand with a lot of varying pewter items, I began browsing for a keepsake and found myself staring at a bunch of necklaces with a rune inscribed on to each. Using a small sign as a reference to what each meant, I eventually found one that simply said "Strength" (and is also my avatar picture). Almost immediately, I bought it and put it around my neck, feeling satisfied with my purchase. However that was not the beginning of my faith.

A month or two later I was reading books on the runes and several of the older religions. "Norse Pagan" is the one which spoke to me in those books, and it kindled something that had lied dormant inside of me. The more I read, the more it seemed as if the things I were reading were already known to me. Next thing I knew I could almost feel my deceased ancestors, I could feel the One-Eyed God (Odin), as well as most everyone else. To me it's a path and a calling- not to be taken by all, but should the Gods decide to find you or if you find the Gods yourself, then by all means do what feels natural to you. Nothing should be shoved down your throat, nothing should just "not make sense" at all, and that is part of the truly individualistic part of it all. For my advice, I would simply state that you should open yourself up to all ideas, even ones that sound strange initially. Read about religions you might find online even, and if one interests you then read more.

When you find that everything is as it should be, then go with your instincts.

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:57:38 pm »

I looked for one based upon who I am and what I am interested in, and then did the civilized thing and plain introduced myself. I went though quite a few before I found several that were willing to tolerate me and my shenanigans. I wouldn't say I have a patron per se, rather a group of deities I honour with some who are closer to me than others. Suits me just fine.

I think a lot of people would be a lot more happy if they instead of waiting to be chosen just decided to pop in and say hello to somebody!

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 12:02:32 am »
Quote from: thorsvin;45137
I looked for one based upon who I am and what I am interested in, and then did the civilized thing and plain introduced myself. I went though quite a few before I found several that were willing to tolerate me and my shenanigans. I wouldn't say I have a patron per se, rather a group of deities I honour with some who are closer to me than others. Suits me just fine.

I think a lot of people would be a lot more happy if they instead of waiting to be chosen just decided to pop in and say hello to somebody!

Well, I decided to introduce myself to some :3 From what research I've done I can see myself spending time with the deities of Kemeticism. As such I've said hi to some of them lol so far no particular response, though I'm concerned about it because I currently have no way to make even a little shrine in a box or anything of the sort.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:11:47 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;45145
Well, I decided to introduce myself to some :3 From what research I've done I can see myself spending time with the deities of Kemeticism. As such I've said hi to some of them lol so far no particular response, though I'm concerned about it because I currently have no way to make even a little shrine in a box or anything of the sort.

You may not ever get any sort of concrete "response" from anyone, so don't be horribly distraught if you find that's the case. Not everyone gets talked or appeared to, so trust your historical sources and your gut instincts first. :]

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:51:14 pm »
Quote from: Maps;45174
You may not ever get any sort of concrete "response" from anyone, so don't be horribly distraught if you find that's the case. Not everyone gets talked or appeared to, so trust your historical sources and your gut instincts first. :]

Maps speaks the truth. After 3 or 4 years I'm still not entirely sure if I've got a "concrete response" from anybody! Just keep plugging away - "Fake it until you make it"

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 07:19:56 pm »
Quote from: Maps;45174

Well yes I suppose I should be used to the "awesome coincidences that show up when we need help from God, otherwise no obvious contact" XD that's kinda what I was taught to expect growing up lol Although the Holy Spirit has been known to rat me and my twin sister out to my mom when we've been up to no good rofl

Oh, and what I meant by concern was that I have no space, no privacy, and no money for an altar, shrine, or rituals or anything else. While my grandmother (who I live with) doesn't invade my privacy, my puppy does (and he's a big dog lol). He freaks out when the family ghosts and my spirit guide are gallivanting about (it doesn't help that they actively mess with him lol) so I can't even imagine how he'd react to magic, much less the presence of deity XD
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 07:26:32 pm by Aine Rayne »

Mandi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:41:23 am »

I don't know how helpful I'll be.. I've had an interest in Greek mythology since I was a young kid, so it came naturally to me. I was really excited when I discovered that Paganism offered these 'beliefs' and it was a huge part of why I was drawn to it; it was essentially something I believed already.

I sympathized with Demeter long before I found my home in this religion. It was quite wonderful to feel connected to her even before I knew that other's did the same. As for her male counterpart, I was without one, so I meditated and asked for him to appear to me, if he so wished. I had a vivid dream about Poseidon some time later (I barely gave Poseidon a thought before this, so it must have happened for a reason), and I'm getting acquainted with him now :)

Maybe read up on their stories and see who you are drawn to? But I'm sure someone said that before me, I should read threads thoroughly before I post. Haha.

Good luck xx

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »

1. I think it's not a good idea if you go into this looking for a patron. Personal experience aside, it leaves you closed to any manner of new and wonderful opportunities if you become focused on the act of finding a god or pantheon to celebrate.

2. Sekhmet came to me (repeatedly). It took me a long time to realize she was talking to me... and by a long time, by my last calculation, I mean something in the range of ten years or more.

3. If you're really serious about approaching a deity... Devo has a Kemetic Starter Guide, which I think is definitely easily adapted to any form of start guide.
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tags: