Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Contemporary Society and the Gods  (Read 4174 times)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Re: contempory society and the gods
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 08:58:26 am »
Quote from: sailor;44807
Still an odd equivalency. Nukes that can kill 100s of thousands on one end. Landmines that might kill a dozen or less on the other.

What about bombs, missiles, artillery, machine guns? All are pretty much more deadly than landmines. If you are going for high end (nukes) to low end, I'd think pistols would be more low end in terms of effectiveness.

I think actually it's the /randomness/ of nukes and landmines.  The sense of the being nowhere near a battle and still being a potential target.

A gun is a deliberate attempt to shoot /someone/.  A landmine is any damn bastard that steps there.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 05:34:39 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;44830
I think actually it's the /randomness/ of nukes and landmines.  The sense of the being nowhere near a battle and still being a potential target.

A gun is a deliberate attempt to shoot /someone/.  A landmine is any damn bastard that steps there.

Considering we've only used two nuclear weapons, and neither target was random, that doesn't really fit.

Landmines are not random if the groups follow the Geneva Conventions other than the Additional Protocols.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 11:27:50 am »
Quote from: herkles;44444
With modern society that has things that did not exist back pre-christian times, how do we view the gods? Do you see them being willing to use modern technology and items that did not exist back then?

Well, I'm a bit of a technophobe and resistant to progressive technology, so I find this a very difficult question to answer. For me, the gods are the forces of nature, and the natural functions of the cosmos. In the Greek pantheon, the younger Olympians (Athene, Hephaistos, Apollon, Hermes, Ares, etc.) are more the gods of civilization, while the elder Olympians (Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Aphrodite) are associated with the natural forces like the domains of sky, earth, and water, as well as fertility and generation. I've always been more drawn to the gods of nature rather than civilization, so I guess I don't really find the spirituality in new-fangled gadgets, no matter how much easier (and often, more stressful) they make our lives.

These days I'm mainly a follower of Isis and Osiris/Serapis, who are pretty universal in function, but I still see them as more associated with the forces of nature. For example, Isis is the feminine reproductive power in the universe, the womb of the sky that gives birth to the sun and the fertile earth from which life sprouts. Serapis is the sun that is born, dies, and is ever renewed; the king of the world and underworld; the bringer of fecundity and the fructifying waters of life. Modern technology is much more a strictly human concern rather than a universal life-bringing power, and actually makes it easier for us to bring devastation to the life in the universe. For example, I don't see Demeter or Isis in factory farming and all the abuses forced on animals and the earth through machinery, hormones, and chemical pesticides. Radiation from cell phones is linked to cancer (though I'm no scientist, and not an expert), industrialization causes a lot of pollution and environmental devastation. Dependency on individualized computers, mp3 players, and even communication devices, cause more isolation and disconnection from one another than anything. I use them, since one can't really avoid it in modern society, and they do have a lot of benefits (like connecting with like-minded people on forums like this, which would be difficult without modern technology), but I try not to overdo it.

I'm not totally against modern technology, I just associate it more with humanity than divinity.

Quote from: sailor;44807
Still an odd equivalency. Nukes that can kill 100s of thousands on one end. Landmines that might kill a dozen or less on the other.

What about bombs, missiles, artillery, machine guns? All are pretty much more deadly than landmines. If you are going for high end (nukes) to low end, I'd think pistols would be more low end in terms of effectiveness.

She probably just means devastating modern war weapons in general would be terrifying in the hands of a raging goddess.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 01:24:06 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;45454
She probably just means devastating modern war weapons in general would be terrifying in the hands of a raging goddess.

I do indeed mean that.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 07:13:10 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;45578
I do indeed mean that.

OK so nukes I could understand with that definition. Landmines don't fall into that category, unless you want to down grade devastating to include basically any weapon post 1860.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »
Quote from: sailor;45590
OK so nukes I could understand with that definition. Landmines don't fall into that category, unless you want to down grade devastating to include basically any weapon post 1860.

Would you have found the original sentence less problematic if it was phrased as, "...although the thought of her with, for example, a nuke or land-mines is terrifying" (bolding my edit)?

I just read it as the first two examples that came to mind for Sharysa, not as being exclusive of all other possible examples.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 02:13:13 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;45639
Would you have found the original sentence less problematic if it was phrased as, "...although the thought of her with, for example, a nuke or land-mines is terrifying" (bolding my edit)?

I just read it as the first two examples that came to mind for Sharysa, not as being exclusive of all other possible examples.

Sunflower

sailor....why are you picking it apart so much?

as for the original question: yes for sure,although I can comically see the deitys that are visually portrayed as elderly and tempermental having a harder time making use of new things,or even refusing to...lol.

but hey....legba and anything related to the Internet,just makes sense to me....like a giant playground for him to confuse and confound folks and make them think twice and be sure what they're asking/looking for. etc.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 02:42:04 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;45639

Sunflower

Nukes and landmines are so different in general effects that I'm challenging why those two.  Nukes and bio-weapons, sure.  Landmines and artillery, sure.

I'd even have had less issue with nukes and landmines if there had been an explanation of why those two are similarly terrifying.

Going back to the Morrigan, I'd suspect she'd not be happy with Any weapon that isn't fairly up close and personal. That would range from not happy with any firearm.

Tags: