+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Annie Roonie will become famous soon enough Annie Roonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    21 Oct 2014 @ 07:46 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Witch
    Posts
    915

    Looking for Italian

    I am uncertain where to ask this, but think that if anyone could give some suggestions the people on this board would be the most likely to have good ideas/leads.

    I had a tough kid who finished a course with me. She is now taking regular courses (mine was for riskier cases) and has mythology. She has a personality obstacle with her teacher. While she is trying to fight that, her interest in mythology is suffering. I talked with her and think that if she had some kind of connection, she would hang on to that instead of her personality issue with the teacher.

    She's "half Italian, Sicilian, half African" (she doesn't know which country), and, as kids will, went on to list several other ethnicities in her genetic code completely ignoring the concept of halves. ha! This was clearly important to her as she took a good deal of time and pride to explain it all to me in her free time. She eventually winded her way around to asking what, if any, Italian or Sicilian gods and goddesses existed.

    The hook presented itself, so I did a fast run to the wiki and printed of the page on Etruscan deities for her (have to strike fast with these kinds). However, while those pages will help her a little (I gave her a paperback dictionary to ease the vocab), I'd like to be able to direct her to names she can then research on Theoi and other places. (Btw, I learned of Theoi here and it has helped more than one tough kid to dig deeper into learning. So thanks for that big time win Cauldron!)



    The girl is mostly on her own and can be tough as nails. Has had to fight both literally and figuratively, yet has shown a great deal of maturity and compassion for others. She has learned almost everything some of the hardest ways. She has mere months before she will graduate if she keeps it together. I tell you this just in case it sparks a name that would be interesting for her kind.

    So, any suggestions of gods or goddesses to pass along for her to research?

    I've seen a simple thing like this save a kid from dropping out and giving up. So your suggestions will all be treated like the best candy around over here.

  2. #2
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends1 year registeredCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    SkySamuelle will become famous soon enough SkySamuelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    27 Aug 2013 @ 07:27 AM
    Country
    Italy
    Religion
    Hard Polyteist, Shamanic Witch, Mystic
    Posts
    717

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Roonie View Post
    I am uncertain where to ask this, but think that if anyone could give some suggestions the people on this board would be the most likely to have good ideas/leads.

    I had a tough kid who finished a course with me. She is now taking regular courses (mine was for riskier cases) and has mythology. She has a personality obstacle with her teacher. While she is trying to fight that, her interest in mythology is suffering. I talked with her and think that if she had some kind of connection, she would hang on to that instead of her personality issue with the teacher.

    She's "half Italian, Sicilian, half African" (she doesn't know which country), and, as kids will, went on to list several other ethnicities in her genetic code completely ignoring the concept of halves. ha! This was clearly important to her as she took a good deal of time and pride to explain it all to me in her free time. She eventually winded her way around to asking what, if any, Italian or Sicilian gods and goddesses existed.

    The hook presented itself, so I did a fast run to the wiki and printed of the page on Etruscan deities for her (have to strike fast with these kinds). However, while those pages will help her a little (I gave her a paperback dictionary to ease the vocab), I'd like to be able to direct her to names she can then research on Theoi and other places. (Btw, I learned of Theoi here and it has helped more than one tough kid to dig deeper into learning. So thanks for that big time win Cauldron!)

    The girl is mostly on her own and can be tough as nails. Has had to fight both literally and figuratively, yet has shown a great deal of maturity and compassion for others. She has learned almost everything some of the hardest ways. She has mere months before she will graduate if she keeps it together. I tell you this just in case it sparks a name that would be interesting for her kind.

    So, any suggestions of gods or goddesses to pass along for her to research?

    I've seen a simple thing like this save a kid from dropping out and giving up. So your suggestions will all be treated like the best candy around over here.
    South Italy was a Greek Colony... cult of greek deities was wide spread as demostrated by the numerous temple ruins.

    In Sicily, the cult of Demeter, Persephone and Dionysos was of main importance: in particular Syracusae was important for annual representation of tragedies in honor of Dionysos (tragedies are still played in May and April , as turistic attraction) and it had a sanctuary for Apollo .
    Agrigento, today a capital of a sicilian province, was one of the leading cities of Magna Graecia during the golden age of Ancient Greece, under the name of Akras... it included the notorious Valley of the Temples, a large sacred area on the south side of the ancient city where seven monumental Greek temples.

    The Temple of Locri Epizefiri, in Calabria, was one important place of cult for the celebration of Eleusian Mysteries in honor of Persephone, Hades and Demeter.

    A few links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrigento
    http://www.valleyofthetemples.com/valley_of_temples.htm
    http://www.locriantica.it/english.htm
    “Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
    Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
    Icon by jewelotus

  3. #3
    Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    FierFlye will become famous soon enough FierFlye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    20 Oct 2014 @ 10:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Religion
    FlameKeeping
    Posts
    792

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Roonie View Post
    I think the Etruscan deities are a great start, they have some really great art depicting the myths. Here's a link to the OGOD listing of some Etruscan goddesses. http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/etruscan.html Perhaps being tough and having and edge, she'd be interested in learning about Vanth.

    Here are a couple other links I've gathered on Etruscan deities:
    http://www.purplehell.com/riddletools/egods.htm
    http://www.crystalinks.com/etruscans.html
    And the following is not easy reading, but has some great pictures of many of the Etruscan myth mirrors:
    http://www.maravot.com/Etruscan_Phrases_a.html

    She may also be interested in Roman deities, of which there are hundreds. Here's the relevant OGOD page on some Roman goddesses: http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/roman.html

    I've got a lot of bookmarks for Roman religion but many of them are kind of dull and would probably bore her. But I can post them later if you like. I have to run to work now.
    "When nothing is sure, everything is possible." -Margaret Drabble

  4. #4
    Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    FierFlye will become famous soon enough FierFlye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    20 Oct 2014 @ 10:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Religion
    FlameKeeping
    Posts
    792

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Roonie View Post
    She's "half Italian, Sicilian, half African" (she doesn't know which country)
    Maybe Isis would be of interest to her? She's Roman and Egyptian.
    "When nothing is sure, everything is possible." -Margaret Drabble

  5. #5
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Annie Roonie will become famous soon enough Annie Roonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    21 Oct 2014 @ 07:46 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Witch
    Posts
    915

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by SkySamuelle View Post
    South Italy was a Greek Colony... cult of greek deities was wide spread as demostrated by the numerous temple ruins.

    In Sicily, the cult of Demeter, Persephone and Dionysos was of main importance: in particular Syracusae was important for annual representation of tragedies in honor of Dionysos (tragedies are still played in May and April , as turistic attraction) and it had a sanctuary for Apollo .
    Agrigento, today a capital of a sicilian province, was one of the leading cities of Magna Graecia during the golden age of Ancient Greece, under the name of Akras... it included the notorious Valley of the Temples, a large sacred area on the south side of the ancient city where seven monumental Greek temples.

    The Temple of Locri Epizefiri, in Calabria, was one important place of cult for the celebration of Eleusian Mysteries in honor of Persephone, Hades and Demeter.

    A few links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrigento
    http://www.valleyofthetemples.com/valley_of_temples.htm
    http://www.locriantica.it/english.htm

    Thank you very much! I've emailed this to myself at work so I can print it there for her. I am including your descriptions along with the links because, dang, the way you describe it makes me want to take some time off to dig in myself! And the May and April months will give her other connections to think about. Something to look forward to. That is a kindness anyone would appreciate.

  6. #6
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Annie Roonie will become famous soon enough Annie Roonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    21 Oct 2014 @ 07:46 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Witch
    Posts
    915

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by FierFlye View Post
    I think the Etruscan deities are a great start, they have some really great art depicting the myths. Here's a link to the OGOD listing of some Etruscan goddesses. http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/etruscan.html Perhaps being tough and having and edge, she'd be interested in learning about Vanth.

    Here are a couple other links I've gathered on Etruscan deities:
    http://www.purplehell.com/riddletools/egods.htm
    http://www.crystalinks.com/etruscans.html
    And the following is not easy reading, but has some great pictures of many of the Etruscan myth mirrors:
    http://www.maravot.com/Etruscan_Phrases_a.html

    She may also be interested in Roman deities, of which there are hundreds. Here's the relevant OGOD page on some Roman goddesses: http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/roman.html

    I've got a lot of bookmarks for Roman religion but many of them are kind of dull and would probably bore her. But I can post them later if you like. I have to run to work now.
    Can't believe how lucky I am tonight with both of these replies! I also sent this one to myself at work to print along with the suggestion of Isis. Art, in my experience, has been able to soften the sometimes arduous task of reading for kids, even grown kids! She will love these links. Thank you!

    Since she is going to be exploring all that you've given so far for a substantial amount of time, there will most likely be no need for you to give more of your time. Oh boy, do I appreciate what you've given already!

  7. #7
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Annie Roonie will become famous soon enough Annie Roonie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    21 Oct 2014 @ 07:46 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Ohio
    Religion
    Witch
    Posts
    915

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by FierFlye View Post
    \
    Dear FierFlye & Skysamuelle,

    Both of you have been an enormous help! There is so much here that she will be at it for months. You may have no idea how long this would have taken me to do (if I could do it at all) on my own. The kids I do have at the moment keep me running and to be able to do something for one that is now on the periphery is such a gift. And that I can get these things to her before the end of this week is simply, well, this doesn't happen often! It will make her feel like she and her thoughts are a priority. That people she doesn't know would take such time and effort will astonish her I assure you.

    She is going to LOVE this. It is an opportunity for her to do something and learn things on her own and by her own volition. For some kids just doing that allows them to see themselves in a new and significantly important way. You know, believing in herself is what she has to do, when she digs in here, it will be something she wants to do.

    You two represent the ultra rare win. Thank you.

  8. #8
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive500 Experience Points3 months registered
    Aqua is on a distinguished road Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    20 Aug 2012 @ 06:50 AM
    Country
    Romania
    Location
    Romania
    Religion
    Pagan
    Posts
    51

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Roonie View Post
    So, any suggestions of gods or goddesses to pass along for her to research?
    I've seen a simple thing like this save a kid from dropping out and giving up. So your suggestions will all be treated like the best candy around over here.
    Hey, how about Aradia, the queen of the witches ? She is often called Herodias. She was an italian goddess who sworn to protect her people against the aggression of masculine faith and its persecutors during the reign of medieval terror. She is the daughter of the goddess of moon(Diana) and god of sun (Lucifer).
    Here is her story :
    Goddess Diana used magick to charm Lucifer. He was a bit afraid of her, most likely because she was a Moon Goddess, and very dark next to his light. Of this union, Aradia was born. Diana liked using magick, and wanted to develop her magickal strengths further, so she decided to go to Earth and do this. She disguised herself as a mortal woman and went to Earth. On Earth, Diana found that times were hard and the people were oppressed. She decided to teach the people magick, so that they were more easily able to care for themselves, and to protect themselves from their oppressors. Diana became a Witch, and she taught many people her craft. After a long while, Diana had no choice but to reveal herself as a Goddess. After doing this, Diana realized she must return to the heavens, and so she did. Diana knew there was more teaching to be done with the mortals, so she decided to send her daughter, Aradia, to Earth. Aradia was to take over where her mother had left off. Aradia was sent to Earth with instructions from Diana to be carried out. Aradia was instructed to teach the mortals aggressive magick, in order to help themselves from their horrific oppression. Aradia taught them well, as she was a strong and powerful Goddess. For the gifts of magick she gave so many, Aradia is considered "Queen of the Witches.

  9. #9
    Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    FierFlye will become famous soon enough FierFlye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    20 Oct 2014 @ 10:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Religion
    FlameKeeping
    Posts
    792

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    Hey, how about Aradia, the queen of the witches ? She is often called Herodias. She was an italian goddess who sworn to protect her people against the aggression of masculine faith and its persecutors during the reign of medieval terror. She is the daughter of the goddess of moon(Diana) and god of sun (Lucifer).
    Here is her story
    Hmm...Lucifer was the morning star in Roman mythology; the sun god was Helios and maybe sometimes called Phoebus, who may or not be another name of Apollo (Roman myth gets rather confusing, but I've only ever seen Lucifer described as the morning star.)
    "When nothing is sure, everything is possible." -Margaret Drabble

  10. #10
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive500 Experience Points3 months registered
    Aqua is on a distinguished road Aqua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    20 Aug 2012 @ 06:50 AM
    Country
    Romania
    Location
    Romania
    Religion
    Pagan
    Posts
    51

    Re: Looking for Italian

    Quote Originally Posted by FierFlye View Post
    Hmm...Lucifer was the morning star in Roman mythology; the sun god was Helios and maybe sometimes called Phoebus, who may or not be another name of Apollo (Roman myth gets rather confusing, but I've only ever seen Lucifer described as the morning star.)
    It depends on the pantheon you work with . I remember when my gradma used to tell me this story and Lucifer was the sun god and Diana the moon goddess. Maybe I'm wrong, thank you for the correction

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts