Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Author Topic: FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 28Feb12 through 5Mar12  (Read 1678 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 28Feb12 through 5Mar12
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:53:06 am »
Welcome to the FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week thread for 28Feb12 through 5Mar12.

Topic: Transformation

Background reading: Parachuting Transformation; Jumping the Cliff

Questions:

What transformation do you fear? What are your cliffs?

What would you use as a parachute? Where will you get it?

What do these cliffs and transformations mean to you? What do you expect to find on the other side?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
Re: FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 28Feb12 through 5Mar12
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:44:44 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;44374

I don’t know which transformations I fear. Usually, I like change. And I am always trying to change for the better. Of course, I fear sometimes that my changes will change who I think I am, and therefore the people around me. As I go through my therapy, I sometimes am sad to see my assy self leave, and I suppose on some levels there is fear in that. However, because I know this is something I need to do, I am always telling myself to just go with it. Whoever I become, I become. There is nothing wrong with that. My current cliff would probably be therapy, the task of making my halves whole. Sorting out that whole mess takes a lot of time and effort, and there have been times where I really wondered what I got myself into.

I guess you could say that I don’t use a parachute. I fly by the seat of my pants. Usually, I am careful in all that I do- to ensure that things go smoothly. I plan ahead, I watch my finances, I always keep my portfolio up to date… everything I can to prep. However, there are always cases where a cliff comes out of nowhere. A nasty surprise you weren’t expecting. All I can do at that point is do the best I can. That’s really the only parachute I allow myself.

What do these cliffs and transformations mean to you? What do you expect to find on the other side?

They usually mean hard work, but something better. I’m about to be run through the ringer, however I always feel that it’s for the better in long run. I think it is this sense of progress that removes my fear of cliffs. It’s a challenge, yes. But I always come out with more than I went in with. Even though part way through the trial, I might not feel like I made the wrong decision, it always pans out.

Full post for those interested: http://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/2012/03/01/fk-journal-over-the-cliff/

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 11:38:36 am »

Finding a new job. I have been unsatisfied with my job for some time now, but I'm too afraid to do anything about it.

Part of the problem is I don't know what I want to do. I don't want to trade one un-fulfilling job for another. The job I have now pays okay, I have good hours, I can easily get time off and sick time. It's not stressful and doesn't follow me home. Why would I want to leave?

My cliff would be leaving the job. Leaving my dull but secure nest to find something else.

Ugh. I dunno. I wish I could say I don't need to work and so it wouldn't be a big deal if I quit. But that's not true.

Passion. Excitement.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:46:43 am »
Questions:

I actually fear transformation into a mentally healthy person, as I've never been one and don't know what is at the bottom of that cliff.  Otherwise, I embrace transformation and change and will happily fling myself into oblivion to get there.

Parachute?  There are parachutes???

For the most part, I see them as growth, improvement, and knowledge.  In that sense, there's no reason not to make the leap.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:28:02 pm »

Questions:

I fear being forced to transform or pretend to. I fear commitment that is planned.
I fear being excellent at something and then having that expectation put on me because of it.

Currently I walk along the edges of my cliffs sewing my parachutes. They are many, but I suspect that by jumping, I will understand most of them to be one. Which one, I am not sure.

In the past it has been hard work and research to gain enough confidence to do something entirely unrelated to the work and research. Not sure why it turns out that way, but confidence is confidence I guess. And with enough of it, I have made decent leaps.

Cliffs mean risks to me. Transformations are what happens to me once I assimilate a change made from a risk taken.  I see them both as a natural order for me.

I am surprised by my expectations frequently. I examine this often when I am disappointed and try to figure out why I thought I should have had any expectation at all.  But mostly I've come to expect an almost comical self-asskicking before I hunker down and assimilate.

Tags: