Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Neo-Paganism - Combining Pantheons  (Read 5246 times)

Dwayne

• View Profile
Neo-Paganism - Combining Pantheons
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:36:04 pm »
Greetings, All!  Dwayne, here!  

I label my practices as neo-paganism, at the suggestion of an elder I was chatting with a few years ago.  I honour gods, goddesses, and entities, from various pantheons (Norse, Gaelic, Egyptian, Native, etc.).  My chief altar displays icons for The Buddha, Bastet, Ganesh, Mother Owl -- my chief totem, and a Gargoyle.  I can understand the various aspects of each of them, working in my own life ... but, is it too diverse?

Peace, Hope & Brightest Blessings!
Dwayne (Welsh for 'Little Dark Man of the Woods')
Peace, Hope, & Bright Blessings!  Dwayne:)

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Neo-Paganism - Combining Pantheons
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:08:12 pm »
Quote from: Dwayne;2542

Helô Dwayne

Sorry to go OT but I'm curious as to where you found  Dwayne as a Welsh name? I've always thought of it as Irish but Welsh is not my first language so I do get it wrong.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:10:18 pm »

I label my practices as neo-paganism, at the suggestion of an elder I was chatting with a few years ago.  I honour gods, goddesses, and entities, from various pantheons (Norse, Gaelic, Egyptian, Native, etc.).  My chief altar displays icons for The Buddha, Bastet, Ganesh, Mother Owl -- my chief totem, and a Gargoyle.  I can understand the various aspects of each of them, working in my own life ... but, is it too diverse?

There's really no one standard for "too diverse" or "too coherent". Does your practice make sense to you? Are you fulfilled? Are you not trying to claim "this is how the Ancient [insert culture here] peoples did it"? Then I'd say go right ahead.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Dwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:31:01 pm »
Quote from: Sage;2556
There's really no one standard for "too diverse" or "too coherent". Does your practice make sense to you? Are you fulfilled? Are you not trying to claim "this is how the Ancient [insert culture here] peoples did it"? Then I'd say go right ahead.

Kewl!

Blessings!  Dw.

Dwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:34:25 pm »
Quote from: Vale;2553
Helô Dwayne

Sorry to go OT but I'm curious as to where you found  Dwayne as a Welsh name? I've always thought of it as Irish but Welsh is not my first language so I do get it wrong.

Greetings, Vale!  Dwayne, here!

I had elders in my family say my name, spelt Dwayne was a Welsh spelling ... Whereas, Duane, was the Celtic-Irish spelling.  My grandmother was Welsh; and I was named that way, to honour her memory. :D

Peace, Hope, & Brightest Blessings!  And thanks for the welcome!
Dwayne

Rahni

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:35:20 pm »

Naw.
Well.
Maybe.
How do YOU feel about it?
Do you, as someone else here put it, satisfied and fulfilled?
I believe in many Deities, whether or not I can sit here and name them all.
I don't know what I would call myself.
Norse Deities, Egyptian Deities, Roman/Greek Deities...even the Christian Deity. :confused:You know what I mean?

Morgan

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:44 am »

=My chief altar displays icons for The Buddha, Bastet, Ganesh, Mother Owl -- my chief totem, and a Gargoyle.  I can understand the various aspects of each of them, working in my own life ... but, is it too diverse?

Hello, How are you using the Gargoyle?  Are you worshipping it or is it to symbolize a god?

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:18:37 am »

As a teacher of mine once said:  "it's OK to invite a wildly diverse group of people to a party, but you want to make sure they're all gonna get along."  Which is a colorful way of saying, worship who you're called to worship, but do your homework.  I figure, if it works for you and your gods, that's the important thing.
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Rahni

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »
Quote from: Thorn;7013
As a teacher of mine once said:  "it's OK to invite a wildly diverse group of people to a party, but you want to make sure they're all gonna get along."  Which is a colorful way of saying, worship who you're called to worship, but do your homework.  I figure, if it works for you and your gods, that's the important thing.

Well. Here are  the two big questions of the day. Which you've heard probably a million times.

"How do you find that out? How do you know?"

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 03:50:07 pm »
Quote from: Rahni;7158
Well. Here are  the two big questions of the day. Which you've heard probably a million times.

Ask Them.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:14 pm »
Quote from: Rahni;7158

In addition to Aster's great comments, a couple of others...

How would you figure out whether wildly different people might fit in a party? You'd get to know them individually. Then you might look at ways people might interconnect - interests in common, or interests that complement each other.

But you don't invite people who will rub each other's pet peeves the wrong way. Or where there's history that you're not sure of that might get uncomfortable. So before you actually put people in the same room, you do some research, some asking *them* what they're comfortable with, and so on all work pretty well.

I have also found that short-term cross-pantheon work can sometimes be anchored by a common idea or a common person (the same way lots of different people will show up for someone's wedding, and actually find stuff to talk about, even if they know the happy couple in wildly different ways.) So, sometimes, an easier way into it is something like healing work, or a rite of passage for someone who has individual relationship with different deities (but who normally honors/works with them separately.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: