Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:56:16 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Author Topic: Celtic Specific Herbs & Incenses  (Read 4676 times)

Sorchae

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Celtic Specific Herbs & Incenses
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:16 am »
I am new to the forums, and being an individual learning about Celtic Reconstructionism / Gaelic Polytheism I thought this would be the best place to ask the question I wish to pose. I am hoping someone will be able to answer it or give me places to look. I want to make everything about my practice as Irish Celtic as possible, and that means using Celtic (Irish) specific herbs and incenses. I was wondering what people suggested or knew of. I know some things I probably won't be able to find here in the States, but what I can find I would love to use and incorporate into my practice. I have searched everywhere I could, whether it be on the internet or in what books I can, but I can't seem to find anything Celtic (Irish) specific.

Much thanks to everyone.

Beanachtaí,
Sorchae

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Celtic Specific Herbs & Incenses
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 12:55:28 am »
Quote from: Sorchae;44349
I am new to the forums, and being an individual learning about Celtic Reconstructionism / Gaelic Polytheism I thought this would be the best place to ask the question I wish to pose. I am hoping someone will be able to answer it or give me places to look. I want to make everything about my practice as Irish Celtic as possible, and that means using Celtic (Irish) specific herbs and incenses. I was wondering what people suggested or knew of. I know some things I probably won't be able to find here in the States, but what I can find I would love to use and incorporate into my practice. I have searched everywhere I could, whether it be on the internet or in what books I can, but I can't seem to find anything Celtic (Irish) specific.

What do you want to use the herbs or incense for? And what do you mean by "Celtic (Irish) specific"? Do you mean herbs that are native to Ireland? Or, in the case of incense, incense derived from native plants?
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Sorchae

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:10:54 am »
Quote from: Finn;44350
What do you want to use the herbs or incense for? And what do you mean by "Celtic (Irish) specific"? Do you mean herbs that are native to Ireland? Or, in the case of incense, incense derived from native plants?

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. It is very late where I am and my children have wore me out for the day. I do not want the herbs or incenses for anything specific, just a list to help me stock up. What I mean by Celtic (Irish) specific, is those herbs used commonly by the Irish Celts, if known, and, if not known, than just those that are native to Ireland. I can't seem to find a good comprehensive list of either on the internet, though when I do find a list it only has a few herbs listed, and then other lists are on flashy websites that don't site their sources.

When it comes to incenses, they can be derived from plants (such as lavender herbs and lavender incense), but they do not have to be plant specific.

Now that I am properly thinking of this as I type it out, I wouldn't much worry about the incenses. :o Sorry for the confusion. For some reason my brain lumped the incense and the herbs together, and I honestly don't know why at this point.

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:51 am »
Quote from: Sorchae;44353

Well, the most documented resources we would have is on herbs used for healing and medicine. Try searching for resources on Irish folk medicine. It's a little late for me too, otherwise I'd do some Googling for you. :ashamed:
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Sorchae

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 01:55:48 am »
Quote from: Finn;44357
Well, the most documented resources we would have is on herbs used for healing and medicine. Try searching for resources on Irish folk medicine. It's a little late for me too, otherwise I'd do some Googling for you. :ashamed:

Oh my Gods! Thank you! I never once thought about looking up Irish Folk Medicine at all! Don't worry, you were tons more help than you think. :) I might find some more herbs this way now. If you find any good links, though, feel free to send them my way. Sometimes I don't catch the good ones on Google. ;)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:09:24 pm »
What I mean by Celtic (Irish) specific, is those herbs used commonly by the Irish Celts, if known, and, if not known, than just those that are native to Ireland.

Heather and gorse come to mind, though I'm not sure what you might use them for, or if they're toxic in any application.

I had a, er, close encounter with gorse while I was in Ireland. It's prickly, and it hurts when you stick your hand down on it. I could totally see using it in protective magic.

Karen

Sorchae

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 12:04:03 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;44539
Heather and gorse come to mind, though I'm not sure what you might use them for, or if they're toxic in any application.

I had a, er, close encounter with gorse while I was in Ireland. It's prickly, and it hurts when you stick your hand down on it. I could totally see using it in protective magic.

Karen

Thank you, Karen. :) I don't know if there is any gorse around where I live, but I know I can find heather. I am not sure what it would be used for either, so I might have to do some more researching on that part. lol. Regardless, I don't ingest any herbs, so they being toxic doesn't worry me. However, I do make sure that the toxins aren't absorbed through the skin. I do take some precautions. ;)

Once again, thank you, and they have been added to my growing list.

Beannachtaí,
Sorchae

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:06:53 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;44539

Karen

Ouch  - I think anyone who has got close to gorse has done that ( some of us more than once too).

The flowers smell like coconut and  can be used to make wine.  Gorse is used  in workings for starting new ventures and  ( wearing thick gloves!) can be used to sweep and purify.

I use the heather wood for making fetishes but that is probably more UPG rather than an accepted correspondence. Works for me though.

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 03:32:59 pm »
What I mean by Celtic (Irish) specific, is those herbs used commonly by the Irish Celts, if known, and, if not known, than just those that are native to Ireland.

That could be a little limiting since we have less plant&animal species than the rest of the British Isles, even 12 miles across the pond in Scotland (which isn't that bad as I don't mind not having poison ivy, oak, mosquitoes, snakes,&poisonous spiders) but any book about Native Plants of Ireland, or online lists of shrubs, flowers, e.t.c. should be able to help, although most of your basic medicinal&cooking herbs are here.....

However, the Iron Age Irish borrowed from other places, and placed importance on things exotic. The mistletoe believed to be important in religious rituals due to it's presence in the stomachs of human sacrifices, is not native to Ireland. One ex. being the Clonycavan Bogman estimated to be 2,300 years old was found preserved with his hair styled into a Mohawk with hair gel made from pine resin&plant oil that would have been imported from modern France or Spain.
Semper Fidelis

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 03:56:02 pm »

I'm surprised juniper hasn't gotten any love yet, though I suppose that that's attested in Scotland rather than Ireland:

http://searchingforimbas.blogspot.com/2011/11/on-use-of-juniper-for-purification.html
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

skwrl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 05:54:25 pm »
I am new to the forums, and being an individual learning about Celtic Reconstructionism / Gaelic Polytheism  but I can't seem to find anything Celtic (Irish) specific.

Much thanks to everyone.

Beanachtaí,
Sorchae

Here in Alabama this beautiful early spring the meadows are full of wonderful clovers, the red top is really large now. Think shamrock. Henbit is just now beginning to show it's small lavender flowers. Think heather. If Erin is in your DNA, then whatever you use will be Irish!

Not Celtic specific, but Alabama specific, read all you can find of Tommie Bass, the herb doctor of Shinbone ridge.

Beanachtaí

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 09:53:56 am »
Quote from: Vale;44590
Ouch  - I think anyone who has got close to gorse has done that ( some of us more than once too).

LOL. Glad to know it's not a "stupid American" thing, then.

I might like to grow some in my yard, but I need to do some research to make sure it's not going to take over the neighborhood or anything. We do have a problem with non-native plant species in the nearby state park land. I don't think climate will be a problem, though I think my winters get a bit colder in Maryland than winters in Ireland and the UK.

Karen

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 07:51:52 am »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;44925
LOL. Glad to know it's not a "stupid American" thing, then.

I might like to grow some in my yard, but I need to do some research to make sure it's not going to take over the neighborhood or anything. We do have a problem with non-native plant species in the nearby state park land. I don't think climate will be a problem, though I think my winters get a bit colder in Maryland than winters in Ireland and the UK.

Karen

You really don't want gorse growing in your garden. They're extremely hardy, but aside from the fact that they'll happily take over, they're a haven for tics and a bugger to get rid of. You literally have to burn them and rip up the ground to remove the root network.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:17:24 pm »
Quote from: Seren;45162
You really don't want gorse growing in your garden. They're extremely hardy, but aside from the fact that they'll happily take over, they're a haven for tics and a bugger to get rid of. You literally have to burn them and rip up the ground to remove the root network.

Not much issue with ticks around here... I'm practically in the city and my yard is smaller than my living room. But having tried to eradicate mint in the past, I'll take that "happily take over" warning to heart. We've already had a devil of a time getting a honeysuckle bush out of the front garden. Damn birds dropping damn seeds.

Karen

Tags: