Sorchae is on a distinguished road Sorchae's Avatar
    Last Online
    7 Nov 2012 @ 08:29 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a

Celtic Specific Herbs & Incenses

I am new to the forums, and being an individual learning about Celtic Reconstructionism / Gaelic Polytheism I thought this would be the best place to ask the question I wish to pose. I am hoping someone will be able to answer it or give me places to look. I want to make everything about my practice as Irish Celtic as possible, and that means using Celtic (Irish) specific herbs and incenses. I was wondering what people suggested or knew of. I know some things I probably won't be able to find here in the States, but what I can find I would love to use and incorporate into my practice. I have searched everywhere I could, whether it be on the internet or in what books I can, but I can't seem to find anything Celtic (Irish) specific.

Much thanks to everyone.

Beanachtaí,
    Sorchae

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Finn is on a distinguished road Finn's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Bealach Bhríde
    Pronouns
    she/her

Re: Celtic Specific Herbs & Incenses

Quote Originally Posted by Sorchae View Post
    I am new to the forums, and being an individual learning about Celtic Reconstructionism / Gaelic Polytheism I thought this would be the best place to ask the question I wish to pose. I am hoping someone will be able to answer it or give me places to look. I want to make everything about my practice as Irish Celtic as possible, and that means using Celtic (Irish) specific herbs and incenses. I was wondering what people suggested or knew of. I know some things I probably won't be able to find here in the States, but what I can find I would love to use and incorporate into my practice. I have searched everywhere I could, whether it be on the internet or in what books I can, but I can't seem to find anything Celtic (Irish) specific.
    What do you want to use the herbs or incense for? And what do you mean by "Celtic (Irish) specific"? Do you mean herbs that are native to Ireland? Or, in the case of incense, incense derived from native plants?
    Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Senior Newbie Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    What do you want to use the herbs or incense for? And what do you mean by "Celtic (Irish) specific"? Do you mean herbs that are native to Ireland? Or, in the case of incense, incense derived from native plants?
    Sorry if I wasn't very clear. It is very late where I am and my children have wore me out for the day. I do not want the herbs or incenses for anything specific, just a list to help me stock up. What I mean by Celtic (Irish) specific, is those herbs used commonly by the Irish Celts, if known, and, if not known, than just those that are native to Ireland. I can't seem to find a good comprehensive list of either on the internet, though when I do find a list it only has a few herbs listed, and then other lists are on flashy websites that don't site their sources.

When it comes to incenses, they can be derived from plants (such as lavender herbs and lavender incense), but they do not have to be plant specific.

Now that I am properly thinking of this as I type it out, I wouldn't much worry about the incenses. Sorry for the confusion. For some reason my brain lumped the incense and the herbs together, and I honestly don't know why at this point.

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Finn is on a distinguished road Finn's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Bealach Bhríde
    Pronouns
    she/her

Well, the most documented resources we would have is on herbs used for healing and medicine. Try searching for resources on Irish folk medicine. It's a little late for me too, otherwise I'd do some Googling for you.
    Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Well, the most documented resources we would have is on herbs used for healing and medicine. Try searching for resources on Irish folk medicine. It's a little late for me too, otherwise I'd do some Googling for you.
    Oh my Gods! Thank you! I never once thought about looking up Irish Folk Medicine at all! Don't worry, you were tons more help than you think. I might find some more herbs this way now. If you find any good links, though, feel free to send them my way. Sometimes I don't catch the good ones on Google.

Master Member

Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    dragonfaerie will become famous soon enough dragonfaerie will become famous soon enough dragonfaerie's Avatar
    Last Online
    19 Nov 2014 @ 01:25 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Wicca & Druidry
    Pronouns
    she/her/her

What I mean by Celtic (Irish) specific, is those herbs used commonly by the Irish Celts, if known, and, if not known, than just those that are native to Ireland.
    Heather and gorse come to mind, though I'm not sure what you might use them for, or if they're toxic in any application.

I had a, er, close encounter with gorse while I was in Ireland. It's prickly, and it hurts when you stick your hand down on it. I could totally see using it in protective magic.

Karen

Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfaerie View Post
    Heather and gorse come to mind, though I'm not sure what you might use them for, or if they're toxic in any application.

I had a, er, close encounter with gorse while I was in Ireland. It's prickly, and it hurts when you stick your hand down on it. I could totally see using it in protective magic.

Karen
    Thank you, Karen. I don't know if there is any gorse around where I live, but I know I can find heather. I am not sure what it would be used for either, so I might have to do some more researching on that part. lol. Regardless, I don't ingest any herbs, so they being toxic doesn't worry me. However, I do make sure that the toxins aren't absorbed through the skin. I do take some precautions.

Once again, thank you, and they have been added to my growing list.

Beannachtaí,
    Sorchae

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Vale will become famous soon enough Vale's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Oct 2014 @ 05:38 PM
    Country
    Wales
    Religion
    Far far away

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfaerie View Post

Karen
    Ouch - I think anyone who has got close to gorse has done that ( some of us more than once too).

The flowers smell like coconut and can be used to make wine. Gorse is used in workings for starting new ventures and ( wearing thick gloves!) can be used to sweep and purify.

I use the heather wood for making fetishes but that is probably more UPG rather than an accepted correspondence. Works for me though.

Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album pictures1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Micheál will become famous soon enough Micheál's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Country
    Ireland
    Religion
    Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism

What I mean by Celtic (Irish) specific, is those herbs used commonly by the Irish Celts, if known, and, if not known, than just those that are native to Ireland.
    That could be a little limiting since we have less plant&animal species than the rest of the British Isles, even 12 miles across the pond in Scotland (which isn't that bad as I don't mind not having poison ivy, oak, mosquitoes, snakes,&poisonous spiders) but any book about Native Plants of Ireland, or online lists of shrubs, flowers, e.t.c. should be able to help, although most of your basic medicinal&cooking herbs are here.....

However, the Iron Age Irish borrowed from other places, and placed importance on things exotic. The mistletoe believed to be important in religious rituals due to it's presence in the stomachs of human sacrifices, is not native to Ireland. One ex. being the Clonycavan Bogman estimated to be 2,300 years old was found preserved with his hair styled into a Mohawk with hair gel made from pine resin&plant oil that would have been imported from modern France or Spain.
    Semper Fidelis
    You can also find me in my much neglected blog

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:03 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Ab Khem mystic; Etc.

I'm surprised juniper hasn't gotten any love yet, though I suppose that that's attested in Scotland rather than Ireland:

http://searchingforimbas.blogspot.co...ification.html
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast