Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Question for Traditional Wiccans  (Read 1689 times)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Question for Traditional Wiccans
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »
Hi everyone!  I have been looking for some off-line community lately, as my eldest daughter is getting to the age where she can participate in rituals, and I'd like her to have some experience in a social religious setting.  There's a nice-seeming Wiccan group in town that holds open rituals for the full moons, and I'd love to go.  They welcome children and those on earth-oriented paths, even if they are not Wiccan, so I feel we'll be welcome in the group.  However, I have heard from a few sources that they are very traditional.  I don't think they are Gardnerian (as far as I can tell), but they are initiatory and oath-bound.  I'm just wondering what a ritual in that kind of tradition would be like?  I was a solitary Wiccan for many years before adopting a more generic 'Pagan' label, so I know the basics of circle casting and most of the ritual tools, and also that the God and Goddess will feature prominently.  But honestly, I don't know much beyond that - I've heard that traditional and eclectic solitary Wiccans are quite different in many ways.  So a question for those of you in traditional Wiccan covens - what would an open ritual in your coven be like?  Thank you!
Devotee of Nerthus
Worshipper of Germanic Deities
Now blogging on Patheos Pagan!  Check out Heathen at Heart

In the Nebraska-Iowa area?  Come check out Prairie Shadow Protogrove, ADF!
Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Question for Traditional Wiccans
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:34:19 pm »
Quote from: MysticalMama;44306
I'm just wondering what a ritual in that kind of tradition would be like?

As they hold open rituals, why not go to one and find out? That would probably be the easiest way to find out.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;44312
As they hold open rituals, why not go to one and find out? That would probably be the easiest way to find out.

I should have been more clear!  I am planning on attending the next ritual and am pretty excited about it - just looking for a general idea of what to expect :) .
Devotee of Nerthus

Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:28:20 pm »
Quote from: MysticalMama;44321
I should have been more clear!  I am planning on attending the next ritual and am pretty excited about it - just looking for a general idea of what to expect :) .

Having attended, helped plan and participated in open ritual back when I was Wiccan, including guesting at a Gardnarian coven for a semi-open (invitation only) esbat, here's a thought

It's going to be more mellow than closed ritual, since there will be people from other paths as well as seekers, to go whole-hog might startle if not scare potential members away

But also remember that the "high-brow" closed rituals are usually for only initiates - rarely for dedicates or seekers - so even if you join, you won't see those for a year - if they're really traditional

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 01:10:34 am »
I don't think they are Gardnerian (as far as I can tell), but they are initiatory and oath-bound.  I'm just wondering what a ritual in that kind of tradition would be like?  I was a solitary Wiccan for many years before adopting a more generic 'Pagan' label, so I know the basics of circle casting and most of the ritual tools, and also that the God and Goddess will feature prominently.  But honestly, I don't know much beyond that - I've heard that traditional and eclectic solitary Wiccans are quite different in many ways.  So a question for those of you in traditional Wiccan covens - what would an open ritual in your coven be like?  Thank you!

Traditional and initiatory is not the usual combination with kids welcome at most rituals - so adjust this for the situation. (In particular, I'd ask what they mean about open to kids - do they have separate activities, or do they avoid longer meditations/etc. or what? Different things work for different ages - and different kids.

(I'm a priestess/initiate/etc. in an initiatory religious witchcraft trad - there are reasons I don't ID as Wiccan, but same ballpark.)

First, don't be afraid to ask questions in advance. (Questions right before and during are tricky, for practical reasons - but if you don't get reasonable answers to stuff like "When should we plan to be there?" and "What do people wear?" and "What should we bring?" that's a good time to reconsider going, at least until you sort that out.)

I've got a couple of pages that cover some basics on my website:
So, open ritual in my tradition:
- invites generally include a gather time (when you should show up), some idea of end time), what kinds of clothing are particularly good, and whether there's anything else you can bring. (Potluck, sometimes something like a jar to bring consecrated water home in, or something to add to a planned working, or whatever.)

- the priestess (usually) explains the focus of the ritual, anything the people involved need to know, etc.

- circle is cast, etc. (as described in the link below, roughly). Working is explained and then done. There's the Great Rite in symbol (consecration of food and drink in polarity and community - blade into chalice, though the words vary among traditions somewhat for what else is said here.)

That's then passed around (so if you have food allergies/etc. it's good to be prepared - generally bowing your head over it, and passing it back/passing it on with the blessing works fine. Warning them in advance of any food allergies is even better.)

And then everything is done in reverse to open the circle, and return fully to the physical world. After which there is food (which helps with that!) and conversation (which helps build community). Planning to stay for a bit of both is a very good idea if you possibly can.

- It is a good idea to let the people with major ritual roles (HPS, HP, anyone else doing significant stuff) have a little bit of a break before you ask them questions. (I love questions, but after a complex ritual, I love them a lot more if I have had a chance to sit down, gather some food and something to drink, and take a few deep breaths.)

Other stuff:
Clothing, especially for open rituals, is generally relatively relaxed - something that doesn't detract from the ritual, that reflects the focus, and that's comfortable (and warm enough!) is a good start. I tend to suggest people stay away from jeans (they can restrict deeper breathing), but a plain colored shirt and slacks/skirt, or a Pagan t-shirt (tree, say, not humorous), or something like that can work fine.

Avoid stuff that might be specific to that group - probably not a big deal the first time you go, but don't run out and say, buy a medallion they all wear because you want one just like that. They may also have other stuff (cord belts, jewelry, etc.) that is kept for specific roles/degrees/etc.

In terms of method - if they're used to doing open ritual, generally it will be pretty straight forward - you can see a general exposition elsewhere on my site.

One of the places that open rituals can either be great, or can be lousy (and it's really hard to tell before you get there) is how well they leave everyone centered and grounded afterwards. There's more ideas in the practices index if you want a refresher there.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Aiwelin

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:19:57 am »
Quote from: Jenett;44352
Traditional and initiatory is not the usual combination with kids welcome at most rituals - so adjust this for the situation...

Thank you Jenett!  I spent some time exploring your website, and it was an absolutely wonderful resource.  I hadn't thought of contacting the group before visiting their ritual, but it seems as if that's the best course of action.  Thank you again :).
Devotee of Nerthus

Ár nDraíocht Féin
The Troth

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »
So a question for those of you in traditional Wiccan covens - what would an open ritual in your coven be like?  Thank you!

Well from a Traditional Wiccan perspective, it depends on the type of circle, and the setting. In a Trad circle it would likely be Skyclad(although Guests usually get a choice), and Guests&Neophytes would have to remain out of view from the circle, and lead in, and out, at different times since simple Opening&Closing rites contain initiate specific material. If it's outdoors, and public, then maybe a few things will be altered to be Outer-court friendly, and everyone will work robed. Some covens have different views about completely ope circles, and some even wear their cords under their robes so the Seekers, Neophytes, & Initiates can't tell each other apart.

Trad circles aren't really child friendly, unless it's a Trad coven, or member or two performing a completely open public, and not traditional rite. My HPS does this sometimes with public festivals for the community, and at the last Samhain one people did bring their children, but that certainly wouldn't happen in a Trad circle!

I'd go ahead and give them a look up. Only one way to find out eh?
Semper Fidelis

Tags: