Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 21Feb12 through 27Feb12  (Read 1699 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 21Feb12 through 27Feb12
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:37:01 pm »
Welcome to the FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week thread for 21Feb12 through 27Feb12.

Topic: Direction

Background reading: Embracing one's Path; A sacred calling

Questions:

What is your calling? Do you have one? More than one?

What have you given up for a calling? What have you gained?

Is there a calling you wish you had but don’t? Something you’ve always wished you could do? Is there a reason to not try?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 21Feb12 through 27Feb12
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:41 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;43698
Welcome to the FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week thread for 21Feb12 through 27Feb12.

Topic: Direction

Background reading: Embracing one's Path; A sacred calling

Questions:

Is there a calling you wish you had but don’t? Something you’ve always wished you could do? Is there a reason to not try?

I very much enjoyed "A Sacred Calling." Both posts actually, but it strikes me often that allowing oneself change is a kind of grace I appreciate very much.

My calling has been teaching. Classrooms are where it happens sometimes, but I think as young as 6 I was been asked to explain things and without a thought as to why, I'd set about finding resources to do it. I didn't think of it as a calling so much as a compulsion.

I once thought I would like to be a nun, and I waited to be called not knowing what that would actually be like but feeling sure I'd be able to spot the moment as if a doorbell would ring or a beam of light would shoot down and pierce my soul. Since that never happened, I guess I assumed that I would not be called and figured my drives were instead self imposed compulsory exercises. Odd, I've never really considered that a calling might be more subtle until now.

I have felt compelled to create and to study and not always from within. My parents, perhaps by way of keeping us kids busy, drove into us the idea that each day we must either create or work on an existing creation and if we had learned nothing in a day, then that day was wasted. After years of that, it is difficult to say with certainly that my drive to create is wholly a calling, perhaps it became one or perhaps it was simply nourished by my parents' code. Regardless, if a day goes by without some learning, I cannot sleep and write or draw or sing my way to exhaustion.

Giving up a calling is something I have not done. I routinely put things on the back burner so that pressing drives may be tended, but there is always the intention of going back. And I do go back. Supplies aren't tossed but stored until the moment permits. Were I to have a child, I think my priorities would then create the necessity to streamline a bit more.

That is one thing I have once wished I was called to do. Be a mother. I was only able to hear the clock ticking in terms of what my peers were doing though, but with no real desire from within me. I could not bring myself to aggressively pursue the idea when I was married precisely because I felt doing so, would be doing it for the wrong reasons and I didn't feel it fair to subject another person to that. However, I have wished for that calling as I regard motherhood with much reverence.

I don't want to try now to be a mother because of the risks of getting pregnant at my age as well as the doubts that I would be doing it selflessly.

Maybe that is the calling I gave up trying to hear. From that I may have gained the opportunity to pursue others. I can only hope they will be of merit.

It all has me wondering where callings can come from and how subtle they actually may be.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:26 am »

Questions:

My calling is teaching.  After flirting with it on and off for many years, I finally embraced it when I took a job as a corporate trainer and, while I deal with idiots on a routine basis, I really feel that I embody the work.

I've given up the possibility of promotion, of moving up the corporate ladder and "through the ranks".  However, I've gained so much self-awareness and confidence that it is well worth it.

I've wished to be an artist all my life but, as I have zero talent for it, I don't try. ;)
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:26:44 am »

I have read these posts a few times now... and I really don't know what to write. I don't know what my calling is, if I have one.. or any of that sort of thing. Closest thing I can say my 'calling' might be is "The Itch". But even that is obscure and out of focus.

So yeah... I'm not ignoring these, I just don't have any answers atm :<

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Fier

• Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:25:50 am »
Quote from: Devo;44505
I have read these posts a few times now... and I really don't know what to write. I don't know what my calling is, if I have one.. or any of that sort of thing. Closest thing I can say my 'calling' might be is "The Itch". But even that is obscure and out of focus.

So yeah... I'm not ignoring these, I just don't have any answers atm :<

-Devo

I know how you feel. I have no idea what my calling is either. I'm not even sure if I have what others would call 'passions'. I have hobbies and things I enjoy, but 'passion' is a strong word. It's something I will be working on with Aphrodite, I'm sure.

Tags: