"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: Hobbies: Norse Hairstyles  (Read 14608 times)

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Norse Hairstyles
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:51:52 pm »
First of all, i had no idea where to start this thread. I found this to be the place my question would fit the best. If it isn't i sincerely apologize. To the question! :D:

How did Norse men wear their hair? Preferably how long haired men wore it please. My hair is quite long and i want to wear it in a traditional style. Any suggestions? Thanks!
-Todd
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:09:06 pm by RandallS »

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Norse Hairstyles
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;43254
First of all, i had no idea where to start this thread. I found this to be the place my question would fit the best. If it isn't i sincerely apologize. To the question! :D:

How did Norse men wear their hair? Preferably how long haired men wore it please. My hair is quite long and i want to wear it in a traditional style. Any suggestions? Thanks!
-Todd

Braceate depictions show male gender with hair that is free and flowing to the shoulders, while females are represented with long hair tied in a knot.

The "free and flowing" (Fabio? ;) ) hairstyle of Germania also became the trend across Europe and the Mediterranean after the fall of the Roman Empire, indicating status @ 390-450 AD. (Slaves, peasants had shorter hair.)

If you feel like browsing through Tacitus' Germania he goes into some detail about styles of hair and dress common to the area. I believe it was the Suevi that wore their hair in high top knits to intimidate the enemy.

But that's rather specific to the continent, you might also check out the Viking Answer Lady site for viking specific fashions.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Mata

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:41:08 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;43257

But that's rather specific to the continent, you might also check out the Viking Answer Lady site for viking specific fashions.

That's funny you mentioned that, I had read her article on Viking Age hairstyles last night ;)

For Todd, in case he has trouble finding it: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml
" For this feeling of wonder shows that you are a philosopher, since wonder is the only beginning of philosophy..." - Socrates to Theaetetus.
Find me on Goodreads here

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:10:45 pm »
Quote from: Mata;43265
That's funny you mentioned that, I had read her article on Viking Age hairstyles last night ;)

For Todd, in case he has trouble finding it: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml

Lol. Really? Weirder and weirder, I had just read an article about the hairstyles a few nights ago.

...So, who's trying to get a message across? ;)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:33:47 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;43257
Braceate depictions show male gender with hair that is free and flowing to the shoulders, while females are represented with long hair tied in a knot.

The "free and flowing" (Fabio? ;) ) hairstyle of Germania also became the trend across Europe and the Mediterranean after the fall of the Roman Empire, indicating status @ 390-450 AD. (Slaves, peasants had shorter hair.)

If you feel like browsing through Tacitus' Germania he goes into some detail about styles of hair and dress common to the area. I believe it was the Suevi that wore their hair in high top knits to intimidate the enemy.

Forgot to mention an important detail. My hair is quite curly and wavy. This is due to some ancestors from the Balkans. You ever hear of a Norseman with curly hair? :mad: lol

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:34:15 pm »
Quote from: Mata;43265

Thanks for the link Mata! :)

nicolbrown

• Jr. Newbie
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 03:10:41 am »
Quote from: ToddGrove;43367
Thanks for the link Mata! :)

Check out this link too,http://www.ehow.com/list_6752062_viking-hairstyles.html You can take a look at it for reference may be this should also clear your thought about the Norse Hairstyles. Also my  SPAM LIN REMOVED  hadn't said much about them coz he is one of them.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 07:20:28 am by Marilyn/Absentminded »

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 12:09:12 pm »
Quote from: ToddGrove;43254
How did Norse men wear their hair? Preferably how long haired men wore it please. My hair is quite long and i want to wear it in a traditional style. Any suggestions?

We don't have a lot of direct evidence, but the Viking Answer Lady has a few clues.  Most tinged with racist overtones.

Brina
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:09:45 pm by yewberry »

ccardinot

• Sr. Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 10:56:28 pm »
Quote from: Gore;43366
Forgot to mention an important detail. My hair is quite curly and wavy. This is due to some ancestors from the Balkans. You ever hear of a Norseman with curly hair? :mad: lol

Dear, you really shouldn't worry about it, for the norse people had settlements from Russia to Canada, so, you are most probably of norse descent as well.

yennork

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »
Quote from: Gore;43366

Hear of them? I see them daily, both men and women. Even if I don't leave the house, I see a norsewoman with wavy hair in the mirror. ;)
Never mind what should be or what might be or what ought to be. It\'s what things are that\'s important.

Granny Weatherwax

Tags: