Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: TC User names. How did you choose yours?  (Read 20443 times)

dawbeast

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Re: TC User names. How did you choose yours?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 02:33:10 pm »
Quote from: Arcadia;42847
Inspired by a thread on the old forum
User names.  

Why did you choose your TC user name? Is it significant to your path? a nickname? Something you use elsewhere? etc

mine was an old nickname from when i was in a different country and nobody knows it who will remember it so if by the off chance anyone i know is on here (unlikley) they wont know its me

sneaky sneaky

Silverwing/Ataegina

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 03:07:55 pm »
User names.  
Your turn...

Well I've had a couple of nicknames since I've started to surf the interwebs (Alicia, Sinthal, Lih, Shirahime, among others). Nowadays, I'm mostly known online as CalamityJane (or some variation of it), but since this place is of another nature altogether I wanted to separate this from that.
Silverwing/Ataegina is a combo of 2 names I feel connected to: Silverwing being part of the first magical name I've ever picked for myself and Ataegina being the Lusitanian goddess of Spring and seasonality. I'm Portuguese, so I tend to pay homage to the pantheon of gods that were worshipped here in times past even if I'm not devoted to them or work with them :)
Every journey starts with a single step...

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »
User names.  

Why did you choose your TC user name? Is it significant to your path? a nickname? Something you use elsewhere? etc.

Rhyshadow is a name I've been using off-and-on on the net since it first opened up - just kind of popped into my head

Then I did some Celtic numerology with it (Per Mike Nicols' treatise on the subject) and guess what - it works out to be my birthday :whis:

It's my public name - my working name is quite different
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:19:36 pm by Rhyshadow »

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 09:11:00 pm »
Why did you choose your TC user name? Is it significant to your path? a nickname? Something you use elsewhere? etc.

I chose it after a period as a 'seeker' when I settled on Sumerian paganism. It just means 'found', or so the internet translator told me. Obviously the Sumerian thing didn't work out. But the other day I was browsing Wiki's List of Ancient Roman Religious Terms and found:

Castus, castitas

Castus is an adjective meaning morally pure or guiltless (English “chaste”), hence pious or ritually pure in a religious sense. Castitas is the abstract noun. Various etymologies have been proposed, among them two IE stems: k’(e)stos  meaning “he who conforms to the prescriptions of rite”; or *kas-, from which derives the verb careo, “I care for”. In Roman religion, the purity of ritual and those who perform it is paramount: one who is correctly cleansed and castus in religious preparation and performance is likely to please the gods. Ritual error is a pollutant; it vitiates the performance and risks the gods’ anger. Castus and castitas are attributes of the sacerdos (priest), but substances and objects can also be ritually castus.

:) Seems I didn't come to where I am by accident. :) I now just use Castus as my general 'pagan name' which isn't really my religious name; which would be my Nova Roman name. But I like it.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:29 am »
User names.  

Back when Thoth was my patron, I had just finished reading the Tir Alainn Trilogy by Anne Bishop. My favourite character from that series was called Morag; also the character I identified with most.

I liked the name a lot and wanted to use it as my pagan name, but felt like it would be hubris, or delusions of grandeur, so I resisted.

However, it never really left my head, until finally I heard this exasperated voice say "Just take the damn name already!"

So with the go-ahead of Thoth, I took it. Been using it ever since (that was 5/6 years ago).

My former pagan name was Grayheart, and for a while I continued to use that as a last name for Morag. However, I've recently switched to Morag Spinner, which fits better.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:01 pm »
Your turn...

Altair is my "for public consumption" pagan name, so I use that as my user name here.

I'm a birder, and in many ways that's how I come to paganism. "Altair" is from Arabic; it's the name (shortened from "al nasr al ta'ir", the flying eagle) of the main star in the constellation Aquila (the eagle), which adds another layer of mythological bird connotations from Greek mythology that are important to me.

And as I'm fond of saying, "Starhawk" was already taken.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:40 pm »
User names.  

Your turn...

My grandmother called me Annie Roonie after the old comic and maybe the song too. I forget now. I was the only one who received a nick name from her and it quite embarrassed me when I was young. I've misspelled it by accident.

I chose to use on TC because when I came here I was amid research into neopaganism and had discovered many connections between what my grandmother had taught/shown me and things I had learned about different pagan paths. Also, I realized a while back that it was a privilege for her to have singled me out. So I thought I finally honor it somewhere.

I have a persistent pseudonym elsewhere online and a few other names for other purposes, but this one is reserved for when I am feeling in the stream. I only use it here and for a flickr reserved for pics of wild plants and animals.

nbdy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:04 pm »
User names.  

Easy. I'm nobody.

Silverlight

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://lianslalas.bloglspot.com
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »
I'm half Korean, and when I really gained an awareness for what language was, I chose a chinese character-based meaning for my Korean name (if you know Korean names, they have a traditional chinese meaning that goes with it).  The translation of the meaning of my name, EunGyung, means "silverlight".  I've been using silverlight pretty much ever since.

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 11:21:18 am »
Your turn...

The God that I have always felt closest to is Thor, and vin is old norse for friend. Together they make Friend of Thor, which suits me just fine. Also I don't have to add any numbers to the end (which i hate) I use it practically everywhere on the internet that relates to religion.

Aynfean

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 11:38:48 am »
Your turn...

My name is Irish for tempest, it seemed to fit :)
Journal of a Wandering Witch ~ http://aynfean.wordpress.com

Wanderer894

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Ignostic Pagan/Way of the Dragonfly
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »

Your turn...

I have no craft name. Tried to come up with one, failed, and haven't bothered since. I picked Wanderer because at the time someone told me about The Cauldron, I had left Catholicism and was trying to figure out what to do next, what path I would take and all that.  To a large extent, I'm still wandering.
I love a good metallurgical take on the phrase "What the F---?"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 10:50:41 am »

Your turn...

No significance. Popped into my head when I signed up for another forum and I just used it again when I moved over here. :p
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

mommabear

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:58 pm »
User names.  

Your turn...

this is one of two nicknames my family gave me. it seems to encompass my identity around my children and the children in my family. i will go to any length to keep them safe and healthy.
across the great expanse there is no finer tool we could grasp than what we already harbor within

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »
User names.  

I'll start..

Arcadia is a name given to me by one of my patrons. It has layered meaning. It seemed only natural for me to use it here.

If this name hadn't been available on TC I'm not entirely sure what I would have chosen..... I'm terrible at choosing names :o.

Your turn...

Vermillion is the name of a song by a favorite band of mine. I understand there's another pagan poster on the net who uses Vermillion. I'm not her, I use a different username everywhere I go.

Tags: