Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Thoughts for Max the cat  (Read 2498 times)

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Thoughts for Max the cat
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:48:21 pm »
I just found out via FB that my neighbour is taking their cat, Max, to the vet tomorrow afternoon, and there is a reasonable chance he won't be coming back with them.

He's 21 years old and his health has been kind of declining in the last couple of years, but besides aging he's always been a healthy cat for an outdoor/indoor one. I've known him for nearly my entire life (I moved to the neighbourhood when I was four) and it didn't hit me until I was talking about this somewhere else that he is probably my oldest friend, as my parents didn't allow for us to have pets (until we recently rescued one), and was the only friend I had that didn't later turn their back on me (I realize how awkward this sounds as I'm talking about a cat, but well...). I'm still trying to cope with the idea that the last time I saw him was well over a month ago, and that might be the last time I'll will be able to talk to him and not being able to say goodbye. :/

Any kind words, thoughts, or energy for him would be much appreciated. No one wants to lose him, and I hope maybe it's just something that can be fixed rather than having to put him down for, but... well, I'm aware that's optimistic thinking. If it has to happen, I hope it's peaceful and not painful for him.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:49:33 pm by Nyktipolos »
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts for Max the cat
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:02:42 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;42638
I just found out via FB that my neighbour is taking their cat, Max, to the vet tomorrow afternoon, and there is a reasonable chance he won't be coming back with them.

He's 21 years old and his health has been kind of declining in the last couple of years, but besides aging he's always been a healthy cat for an outdoor/indoor one. I've known him for nearly my entire life (I moved to the neighbourhood when I was four) and it didn't hit me until I was talking about this somewhere else that he is probably my oldest friend, as my parents didn't allow for us to have pets (until we recently rescued one), and was the only friend I had that didn't later turn their back on me (I realize how awkward this sounds as I'm talking about a cat, but well...). I'm still trying to cope with the idea that the last time I saw him was well over a month ago, and that might be the last time I'll will be able to talk to him and not being able to say goodbye. :/

Any kind words, thoughts, or energy for him would be much appreciated. No one wants to lose him, and I hope maybe it's just something that can be fixed rather than having to put him down for, but... well, I'm aware that's optimistic thinking. If it has to happen, I hope it's peaceful and not painful for him.

Thanks guys.

21 years? Damn that's an old cat! Older then i that is for sure. I don't think it is weird to be wishing the best for this cat, he has been in your life just as long as most people. Be optimistic! Never hurts to wish for the best! I sure wish him well! :)

fallenangel

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 10:45:14 pm »

He's 21 years old and his health has been kind of declining in the last couple of years,  I'm still trying to cope with the idea that the last time I saw him was well over a month ago, and that might be the last time I'll will be able to talk to him and not being able to say goodbye. :/

Saying goodbye to an animal is very hard....When my Lab was killed, I found this poem and read it to my kids...it helped them a great deal.

http://www.newrainbowbridge.com/NRB/rbpoem.htm

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:55:47 am »

Thanks guys.

All my good thoughts for Max and your family.
~Aqua

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 08:18:42 am »

::Good thoughts for Max, his family and friends::
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Starglade

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 09:49:22 am »

Oh my goodness--twenty-one years old! He's had a grand life, hasn't he.

Keeping Max, his people, and you in my thoughts. ::and looking over at Peekaboo/Mister Boo, who's 19 this spring::
"The Eightfold Path is sometimes called the pathless path. Each step brings a growing awareness that enlightenment is in the here and now--in the world and in our relationships as we read these words . . . now." -- Jonathan White
http://grammargeddon.com

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 11:18:25 am »

My kind thoughts go out to Max, his family and to you.

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 06:31:09 pm »

Thanks guys.

{{{{Nyktipolos, Max, and family}}}}

21 is definitely a good long time for a cat!

And I don't find it strange at all to refer to Max as your closest friend. I felt that way about my Tabby; she was 18 when I had to let her go.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
I don't have the details of what really happened, but Max was euthanized when they took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. They've always been responsible pet owners, so I can probably make a safe guess that he was sick enough that keeping him alive was only going to leave him miserable and possibly in pain for what time he had left.

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone. I really do appreciate it (and helps me not feel weird for feeling he was one of my oldest friends).

A thousand of every good thing for Max. May he ascend.

(I don't think it's totally sunk in yet, other than when I finally cried after hearing the news last night. So I apologize if this sounds cold/short/rude/etc.)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 07:33:21 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;42944

(I don't think it's totally sunk in yet, other than when I finally cried after hearing the news last night. So I apologize if this sounds cold/short/rude/etc.)

{{{{Nyktipolos}}}} Grief takes many forms, and all we can do is hobble through it, as best we can.
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 07:11:14 am »

Sincere condolences on the loss of your dear friend. (((Nyktipolos)))

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Thoughts for Max the cat
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:34 am »
I don't have the details of what really happened, but Max was euthanized when they took him to the vet yesterday afternoon. They've always been responsible pet owners, so I can probably make a safe guess that he was sick enough that keeping him alive was only going to leave him miserable and possibly in pain for what time he had left.

Thank you for all the kind words, everyone. I really do appreciate it (and helps me not feel weird for feeling he was one of my oldest friends).

I'm sorry for your loss.
~Aqua

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 03:47:58 am »

I'm so sorry for your loss.

(((((Nykti))))))
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

theistgal

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 01:16:35 pm »

I am so sorry! :cry:

Some of my best friends have been cats and dogs. Deepest sympathies, and may you meet him again on that "Rainbow Bridge".
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:09:41 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:45:36 pm »

I'm late to the thread, but I'm sorry for your loss.  :(
Conformity is the death of individualism

Tags: