Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Marriage Equality Is Now the Law in Washington State (sort of...)  (Read 4333 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Gov. Christine Gregoire just signed the bill legalizing same-sex marriage in Washington State into law! It doesn't take effect until June and is almost certain to be the subject of a ballot challenge that might repeal it.

The momentum this issue has gained so quickly (today the NJ Senate passed its own marriage equality bill, though it faces a certain veto from mealy-mouthed Republican governor Chris Christie) is astounding. Eventually that progress will stall--the Bible Belt ain't comin' around anytime soon--but this feeling is wonderful, reminding me of the euphoria we felt here in NY State when we passed our bill last year. (And when I got hitched a few months later as a result)

All I can say is: Cuomo/Gregoire in 2016! The Marriage Equality ticket!
(Hey, it's got gender balance, geographical balance, and two powerhouse leaders)
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Marriage Equality Is Now the Law in Washington State (sort of...)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »
Quote from: Altair;42580
Gov. Christine Gregoire just signed the bill legalizing same-sex marriage in Washington State into law! It doesn't take effect until June and is almost certain to be the subject of a ballot challenge that might repeal it.

Woo! Here's hoping it won't get repealed. :cf:
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 03:24:03 pm »

And the gay ATM will spit out campaign cash by the boatload for that pairing
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:06 pm »
Quote from: Juni;42583

I'm cautiously optimistic. When a ballot initiative was launched in Washington State by the right wing just a year or two ago to repeal their domestic partner law for same-sex couples, repeal lost 53% to 47%, and same-sex couples kept those rights.

That's a close margin, and the word "marriage" can bring up strong emotions...but it's still a win; more years have passed, with the momentum shifting more towards marriage equality exponentially with each passing year; and Gov. Gregoire is a powerful, convincing speaker on this issue, so I think she'll sway many votes.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 03:37:00 pm »
Quote from: Juni;42583

Not if me and mine have anything to say about it!  I think when the chips are down, Washington will do the right thing this time (no matter how many stupid Tim Eyman initiatives we've passed over the years).

Brina
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 03:38:55 pm by yewberry »

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

The momentum this issue has gained so quickly (today the NJ Senate passed its own marriage equality bill, though it faces a certain veto from mealy-mouthed Republican governor Chris Christie) is astounding. Eventually that progress will stall--the Bible Belt ain't comin' around anytime soon--but this feeling is wonderful, reminding me of the euphoria we felt here in NY State when we passed our bill last year. (And when I got hitched a few months later as a result)

(Hey, it's got gender balance, geographical balance, and two powerhouse leaders)

Wow, I hope it won't get repealed :)
~Aqua

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 04:35:35 pm »
Quote from: Altair;42585
I'm cautiously optimistic. When a ballot initiative was launched in Washington State by the right wing just a year or two ago to repeal their domestic partner law for same-sex couples, repeal lost 53% to 47%, and same-sex couples kept those rights.

That's a close margin, and the word "marriage" can bring up strong emotions...but it's still a win; more years have passed, with the momentum shifting more towards marriage equality exponentially with each passing year; and Gov. Gregoire is a powerful, convincing speaker on this issue, so I think she'll sway many votes.

It will be interesting. The voters approved (yeah, narrow margin) keeping everything but marriage earlier and the elected officials approved marriage now.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 06:21:14 pm »

Let's hope the ballot challenge fails.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 06:35:43 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;42624
Let's hope the ballot challenge fails.

The referendum will be interesting, I am positive they will get the needed signatures to put it to a vote. The question is how the people will choose, we're a bit of a neurotic state the east and south / southeast tend to be far more conservative than the west, particularly Pierce and King counties, though Pierce is rather 'purple' in many ways.

Personally I think the domestic partnership law has gone a long way toward soothing the baseless fears of the fence sitters and hope and pray that compassionate common sense will prevail.

Also I hope republicans and conservatives give this a watch:[video=youtube;UiGmgqW6ES8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UiGmgqW6ES8 [/video] and a good hard think before voting based on their own fears.

EDIT: Representative Walsh is a GOP member
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 06:37:40 pm by Asch »

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 04:20:15 pm »
Quote from: Altair;42585

Western WA (bigger population) tends Democrat.  Eastern WA  tends Republican.  We are almost like 2 different states!  But the bill has a good chance to stay just because, in the end, we tend a tad more liberal/democrat in total.  After all, we elected Gregoire twice (and would probably go for a third if she could run).
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:22 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;42588
Not if me and mine have anything to say about it!  I think when the chips are down, Washington will do the right thing this time (no matter how many stupid Tim Eyman initiatives we've passed over the years).

Brina

I'm to the point where I just vote against Eyman no matter WHAT his initiative is about.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 06:05:41 pm »
Quote from: Owl;42745
I'm to the point where I just vote against Eyman no matter WHAT his initiative is about.

Lol that's a pretty solid policy, dude is bought and paid for, he did one thing back in the 90s and now sees himself as a crusader except he's a total fraud huckstering HORRIBLE ideas.

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:17:03 pm »

Congrats, Washington state! Here's hoping it doesn't get repealed!!!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 07:14:44 pm »
(...the NJ Senate passed its own marriage equality bill, though it faces a certain veto from mealy-mouthed Republican governor Chris Christie)

And today, the NJ Assembly passed the marriage equality bill. If there was a Democratic governor in NJ, it would be signed into law within days, and NJ would become the eighth state (and the second in as many weeks!) to legalize same-sex marriage.

Instead, NJ has Christie.

If anybody ever wonders why the Republican Party is anathema to me, they need look no further.

(But this is still yet another win in the growing momentum for marriage equality. It *will* happen in NJ, and sooner rather than later, in spite of Christie, who will be relegated to the dustbin of civil rights history right next to Bull Connor and George Wallace.)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 01:50:10 am »
Quote from: Altair;43083
(But this is still yet another win in the growing momentum for marriage equality. It *will* happen in NJ, and sooner rather than later, in spite of Christie, who will be relegated to the dustbin of civil rights history right next to Bull Connor and George Wallace.)

Hey, you never know, Christie might sign the bill into law.  
It could happen.  
Might.

All kidding aside, it's good to see that States are going the right way on this issue, knocking down the barrier that should not exist.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Tags: