Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Marriage Equality Is Now the Law in Washington State (sort of...)  (Read 4362 times)

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Equality Is Now the Law in Washington State (sort of...)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 11:26:15 pm »
Quote from: MadZealot;43118
Hey, you never know, Christie might sign the bill into law.  
It could happen.  
Might.

All kidding aside, it's good to see that States are going the right way on this issue, knocking down the barrier that should not exist.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/chris-christie-vetoes-gay-marriage-bill-new-jersey-governor-critics-politics-15732356

le sigh

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 12:05:29 am »
Quote from: Asch;43271

le sigh

le shit
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 01:55:25 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;43275
le shit

No, le sigh.

It was expected.

Altair, were there enough votes in the Legislature to override the veto?  And was there anything else attached to the bill beyond legalizing same-sex marriage? Remember DADT was only passed once Leiberman got a clean bill proposed, one that didin't include the DREAM Act along with DADT.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:44 am »
Quote from: sailor;43280
No, le sigh.

It was expected.

Altair, were there enough votes in the Legislature to override the veto?  And was there anything else attached to the bill beyond legalizing same-sex marriage? Remember DADT was only passed once Leiberman got a clean bill proposed, one that didin't include the DREAM Act along with DADT.

Even more sigh.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-02-18/christie-vetoes-gay-marriage-bill-sets-up-n-j-override-battle.html

it was a conditional veto, whatever that means. apparently he objected to Parts of the bill, not the overall concept.

In rejecting the legislation in Trenton yesterday, Christie invoked a “conditional veto,” which lets him return the measure to lawmakers asking for changes. He suggested creating an ombudsman to tighten enforcement of the civil-union law that pertains to same-sex couples and renewed his referendum push.

“I am adhering to what I’ve said since this bill was first introduced -- an issue of this magnitude and importance, which requires a constitutional amendment, should be left to the people of New Jersey to decide,” Christie said in a statement.

Christie apparently wants a vote by the populace, ie a bit more direct democracy. Not sure if he's hoping for a CA Prop 8 result (which is foolish since the court ruling), or maybe he doesn't want to take the political heat for signing it. Ie, pass the buck to the referendum to keep more inline with the GOP base.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 02:23:14 am »
No, le sigh.

It was expected.

So? Doesn't mean I'm okay with it or it was a decision I find acceptable or humane.

I reiterate, le sigh.

I'm fed up with passing the buck and cowardice.

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 02:41:11 am »
Quote from: Asch;43402
So? Doesn't mean I'm okay with it or it was a decision I find acceptable or humane.

I reiterate, le sigh.

I'm fed up with passing the buck and cowardice.

I was responding to MadZealot's remark. Your remark is the correct one instead of his.

What I found odd in the article I linked to was a same-sex marriage advocate thought Christie had no anti-gay bones in him. (paraphrased for a bit of clarity).

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 08:28:58 am »
No, le sigh.
Altair, were there enough votes in the Legislature to override the veto?  And was there anything else attached to the bill beyond legalizing same-sex marriage?

As far as I know, the bill was clean. At present there aren't enough votes in to override the veto, but the good news is that, for some reason, in NJ the legislature has nearly 2 years to put together the votes to override that veto. With the rapidity with which opinions on this issue are evolving, that may be doable. Eventually.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:03 am »
Quote from: sailor;43403
What I found odd in the article I linked to was a same-sex marriage advocate thought Christie had no anti-gay bones in him. (paraphrased for a bit of clarity).

That may be so. But he no doubt has national political aspirations, and as a Republican that means one must kowtow to the extreme right on issues like same-sex marriage.

This is one of the reasons why, even if politicians are considered "moderate" or "pro-gay" Republicans, I will almost never support them. The party itself has become so extreme that on numerous issues it forces anyone who wants a future within its structure to veer right.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Tags: