+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:05 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Marriage Equality Is Now the Law in Washington State (sort of...)

Gov. Christine Gregoire just signed the bill legalizing same-sex marriage in Washington State into law! It doesn't take effect until June and is almost certain to be the subject of a ballot challenge that might repeal it.

The momentum this issue has gained so quickly (today the NJ Senate passed its own marriage equality bill, though it faces a certain veto from mealy-mouthed Republican governor Chris Christie) is astounding. Eventually that progress will stall--the Bible Belt ain't comin' around anytime soon--but this feeling is wonderful, reminding me of the euphoria we felt here in NY State when we passed our bill last year. (And when I got hitched a few months later as a result)

All I can say is: Cuomo/Gregoire in 2016! The Marriage Equality ticket!
    (Hey, it's got gender balance, geographical balance, and two powerhouse leaders)

Check out my Blog of Mythic Proportions for a contemporary take on myth and mythmaking

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupOverdriveCreated Album picturesTagger First Class10000 Experience Points
    Juni is a name known to all Juni is a name known to all Juni is a name known to all Juni is a name known to all Juni is a name known to all Juni is a name known to all Juni's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Bread and booze and books and bees.
    Pronouns
    she/her

Re: Marriage Equality Is Now the Law in Washington State (sort of...)

Quote Originally Posted by Altair View Post
    Gov. Christine Gregoire just signed the bill legalizing same-sex marriage in Washington State into law! It doesn't take effect until June and is almost certain to be the subject of a ballot challenge that might repeal it.
    Woo! Here's hoping it won't get repealed.
    "You'll find that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that's hardly worth the effort." - The Mathemagician

Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013- we've given $2,500 to date!

The Little Sea Witch, updated 14 October | a slice of religion, writing, and other benign misadventures.
    MistSeeking, updated 15 October | syncretic-eclectic path building, now with 30% more flailing!

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair is a glorious beacon of light Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

And the gay ATM will spit out campaign cash by the boatload for that pairing

Check out my Blog of Mythic Proportions for a contemporary take on myth and mythmaking

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    tree-hugging neopagan

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic. When a ballot initiative was launched in Washington State by the right wing just a year or two ago to repeal their domestic partner law for same-sex couples, repeal lost 53% to 47%, and same-sex couples kept those rights.

That's a close margin, and the word "marriage" can bring up strong emotions...but it's still a win; more years have passed, with the momentum shifting more towards marriage equality exponentially with each passing year; and Gov. Gregoire is a powerful, convincing speaker on this issue, so I think she'll sway many votes.

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry is a splendid one to behold yewberry's Avatar
    Last Online
    21 Aug 2014 @ 08:05 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Earth-honoring pantheism

Quote Originally Posted by Juni View Post
    Not if me and mine have anything to say about it! I think when the chips are down, Washington will do the right thing this time (no matter how many stupid Tim Eyman initiatives we've passed over the years).

Brina
    Last edited by yewberry; 13 Feb 2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Spelling and stuph.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Three FriendsOverdrive500 Experience Points3 months registered
    Aqua is on a distinguished road Aqua's Avatar
    Last Online
    20 Aug 2012 @ 06:50 AM
    Country
    Romania
    Religion
    Pagan

The momentum this issue has gained so quickly (today the NJ Senate passed its own marriage equality bill, though it faces a certain veto from mealy-mouthed Republican governor Chris Christie) is astounding. Eventually that progress will stall--the Bible Belt ain't comin' around anytime soon--but this feeling is wonderful, reminding me of the euphoria we felt here in NY State when we passed our bill last year. (And when I got hitched a few months later as a result)

(Hey, it's got gender balance, geographical balance, and two powerhouse leaders)
    Wow, I hope it won't get repealed

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    sailor can only hope to improve sailor's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:05 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Jewish

I'm cautiously optimistic. When a ballot initiative was launched in Washington State by the right wing just a year or two ago to repeal their domestic partner law for same-sex couples, repeal lost 53% to 47%, and same-sex couples kept those rights.

That's a close margin, and the word "marriage" can bring up strong emotions...but it's still a win; more years have passed, with the momentum shifting more towards marriage equality exponentially with each passing year; and Gov. Gregoire is a powerful, convincing speaker on this issue, so I think she'll sway many votes.
    It will be interesting. The voters approved (yeah, narrow margin) keeping everything but marriage earlier and the elected officials approved marriage now.

Administrator Achievements:
    OverdriveRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RandallS has disabled reputation RandallS's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:00 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Hellenic Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Let's hope the ballot challenge fails.
    Randall
    RetroRoleplaying [Blog] -- Out Of Print & Out Of Style Tabletop Roleplaying Games
    Software Gadgets Blog -- Interesting Software, Mostly Free
    Cheap Web Hosting -- Find an Affordable Web Host

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Asch has a spectacular aura about Asch has a spectacular aura about Asch's Avatar
    Last Online
    15 Oct 2014 @ 07:09 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    ADF & OBOD

Quote Originally Posted by RandallS View Post
    Let's hope the ballot challenge fails.
    The referendum will be interesting, I am positive they will get the needed signatures to put it to a vote. The question is how the people will choose, we're a bit of a neurotic state the east and south / southeast tend to be far more conservative than the west, particularly Pierce and King counties, though Pierce is rather 'purple' in many ways.

Personally I think the domestic partnership law has gone a long way toward soothing the baseless fears of the fence sitters and hope and pray that compassionate common sense will prevail.

Also I hope republicans and conservatives give this a watch: and a good hard think before voting based on their own fears.

EDIT: Representative Walsh is a GOP member
    Last edited by Asch; 13 Feb 2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: addendum

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Owl is on a distinguished road Owl's Avatar
    Last Online
    9 Jul 2014 @ 11:41 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    other

Western WA (bigger population) tends Democrat. Eastern WA tends Republican. We are almost like 2 different states! But the bill has a good chance to stay just because, in the end, we tend a tad more liberal/democrat in total. After all, we elected Gregoire twice (and would probably go for a third if she could run).
    Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast