+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Celtag is on a distinguished road Celtag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    15 Dec 2012 @ 03:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a
    Posts
    424

    The Celts & Hollywood

    After watching several movies with The Celts depicted in them such as, The Eagle, Centurion, Prince of Thieves, King Aurthur. It always seems that they never depict them as they were historically. I just wish they would make a film once, that shows the Celts in a more historical role. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.

    [Now using the Cryfder account]

  2. #2
    Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Gore is on a distinguished road Gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    18 Mar 2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Heathen
    Posts
    108

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtag View Post
    After watching several movies with The Celts depicted in them such as, The Eagle, Centurion, Prince of Thieves, King Aurthur. It always seems that they never depict them as they were historically. I just wish they would make a film once, that shows the Celts in a more historical role. I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this.
    Good luck finding a historically accurate movie! I'm still reeling from how they depicted the Norse on Pathfinder! Lol

  3. #3
    Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Celtag is on a distinguished road Celtag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    15 Dec 2012 @ 03:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a
    Posts
    424

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by ToddGrove View Post
    Good luck finding a historically accurate movie! I'm still reeling from how they depicted the Norse on Pathfinder! Lol
    Those two groups the Vikings & Celts always get depicted as bloodthirsty savages bent on death and destruction.
    [Now using the Cryfder account]

  4. #4
    Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points
    Gore is on a distinguished road Gore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    18 Mar 2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Heathen
    Posts
    108

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtag View Post
    Those two groups the Vikings & Celts always get depicted as bloodthirsty savages bent on death and destruction.
    Very true. People lump them together a lot as well, but in fact the two cultures have seriously different ways of life. But hey, ignorance isn't picky!

  5. #5
    Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Celtag is on a distinguished road Celtag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    15 Dec 2012 @ 03:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a
    Posts
    424

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by ToddGrove View Post
    Very true. People lump them together a lot as well, but in fact the two cultures have seriously different ways of life. But hey, ignorance isn't picky!
    They probably lump them together because they had so much contact with each other.
    [Now using the Cryfder account]

  6. #6
    Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    cigfran will become famous soon enough cigfran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    5 Dec 2012 @ 10:18 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    N/A
    Posts
    421

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtag View Post
    They probably lump them together because they had so much contact with each other.
    I think they both represent the barbarian 'other' against which our Christianized civilization had to struggle to establish its dominance. They are the noble savage.

    While I would prefer accuracy - I think films like Rob Roy at least make a good effort - I have to confess that I very much enjoy the depiction of the bloody-minded Celts. It's a counterweight to the dreamy, mystical woo that so often accompanies the idea of 'celticism' in modern neo-paganism.

    With regard to Pathfinder: if you haven't ever seen it, find the original, aka Ofelas. It's a totally different story, and beautifully done.
    Last edited by cigfran; 11 Feb 2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: correcting syntax

  7. #7
    Journeyman Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Fagan_the_Pagan is on a distinguished road Fagan_the_Pagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    16 Aug 2013 @ 04:40 AM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Yucca Valley, CA
    Religion
    Feri-Celtic follower of Brighid
    Posts
    247

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtag View Post
    Those two groups the Vikings & Celts always get depicted as bloodthirsty savages bent on death and destruction.
    There were a few things in The Eagle that I appreciated: The hints at the hypocrisy of Rome, for instance, and that much of the uglier "savage" acts of the Celts were in direct response to the actions of Rome, and more out of desperation than "We are horrible evil people."

    I thought the depiction of the Celts as looking like the stereotypical image of Native Americans, what with the hair style and the form of dress, was quite odd. I did enjoy that they were actually speaking at least some form of Gaelic, though. And the image of the chieftain in his Cernunnos/Horned God attire was pretty cool.

    But apart from that, they really didn't feel Celtic at all.
    (/|\) Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
    Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

  8. #8
    Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first Group5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9 is a jewel in the rough Fireof9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    6 Oct 2014 @ 09:24 AM
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    British Columbia
    Religion
    Gwyddon
    Posts
    936

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by ToddGrove View Post
    Good luck finding a historically accurate movie! I'm still reeling from how they depicted the Norse on Pathfinder! Lol
    I really really really wanted to like that movie........ I watched it probably 5 times trying to find some redeeming quality other than the violence.

    I gave up.
    Really? So, hey, want to go fishing? I've got a telescope, and it's going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
    ...what, I'm not talking about fishing? That's stargazing? It's all doing-stuff, so it's the same thing, right?
    -HeartShadow

    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

    Finding the Owl -my blog
    The Gwyddonic Order

  9. #9
    Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesOverdrive5000 Experience Points
    Celtag is on a distinguished road Celtag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Online
    15 Dec 2012 @ 03:52 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    n/a
    Posts
    424

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Fagan_the_Pagan View Post
    There were a few things in The Eagle that I appreciated: The hints at the hypocrisy of Rome, for instance, and that much of the uglier "savage" acts of the Celts were in direct response to the actions of Rome, and more out of desperation than "We are horrible evil people."

    I thought the depiction of the Celts as looking like the stereotypical image of Native Americans, what with the hair style and the form of dress, was quite odd. I did enjoy that they were actually speaking at least some form of Gaelic, though. And the image of the chieftain in his Cernunnos/Horned God attire was pretty cool.

    But apart from that, they really didn't feel Celtic at all.
    One part of The Eagle was that the Brigantes slave was speaking Gaelic, and at that time the Celts of Britain would have been speaking Brythonic not Gaelic, even the Scottish tribes. So I pondered why they just didn't have them speak Welsh.
    [Now using the Cryfder account]

  10. #10
    Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends3 months registered1000 Experience Points
    cigfran will become famous soon enough cigfran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    5 Dec 2012 @ 10:18 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    N/A
    Posts
    421

    Re: The Celts & Hollywood

    Quote Originally Posted by Celtag View Post
    One part of The Eagle was that the Brigantes slave was speaking Gaelic, and at that time the Celts of Britain would have been speaking Brythonic not Gaelic, even the Scottish tribes. So I pondered why they just didn't have them speak Welsh.
    Wouldn't hey have been speaking Pictish? Or were they too far south for that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Myths and Legends of the Celts
    By RandallS in forum Pagan Religion Book Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6 Feb 2012, 03:41 PM
  2. Alexei Kondratiev's Lorekeeper's Course Part One: Who Are The Celts
    By darashand in forum Hazel and Oak: A Celtic Polytheism SIG
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 29 Sep 2011, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts