Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for Italian  (Read 2139 times)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Looking for Italian
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:42:55 pm »
I am uncertain where to ask this, but think that if anyone could give some suggestions the people on this board would be the most likely to have good ideas/leads.

I had a tough kid who finished a course with me. She is now taking regular courses (mine was for riskier cases) and has mythology. She has a personality obstacle with her teacher. While she is trying to fight that, her interest in mythology is suffering. I talked with her and think that if she had some kind of connection, she would hang on to that instead of her personality issue with the teacher.

She's "half Italian, Sicilian, half African" (she doesn't know which country), and, as kids will, went on to list several other ethnicities in her genetic code completely ignoring the concept of halves. ha! This was clearly important to her as she took a good deal of time and pride to explain it all to me in her free time. She eventually winded her way around to asking what, if any, Italian or Sicilian gods and goddesses existed.

The hook presented itself, so I did a fast run to the wiki and printed of the page on Etruscan deities for her (have to strike fast with these kinds). However, while those pages will help her a little (I gave her a paperback dictionary to ease the vocab), I'd like to be able to direct her to names she can then research on Theoi and other places. (Btw, I learned of Theoi here and it has helped more than one tough kid to dig deeper into learning. So thanks for that big time win Cauldron!)

The girl is mostly on her own and can be tough as nails. Has had to fight both literally and figuratively, yet has shown a great deal of maturity and compassion for others. She has learned almost everything some of the hardest ways. She has mere months before she will graduate if she keeps it together. I tell you this just in case it sparks a name that would be interesting for her kind.

So, any suggestions of gods or goddesses to pass along for her to research?

I've seen a simple thing like this save a kid from dropping out and giving up. So your suggestions will all be treated like the best candy around over here.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: Looking for Italian
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:20:22 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;42045
I am uncertain where to ask this, but think that if anyone could give some suggestions the people on this board would be the most likely to have good ideas/leads.

I had a tough kid who finished a course with me. She is now taking regular courses (mine was for riskier cases) and has mythology. She has a personality obstacle with her teacher. While she is trying to fight that, her interest in mythology is suffering. I talked with her and think that if she had some kind of connection, she would hang on to that instead of her personality issue with the teacher.

She's "half Italian, Sicilian, half African" (she doesn't know which country), and, as kids will, went on to list several other ethnicities in her genetic code completely ignoring the concept of halves. ha! This was clearly important to her as she took a good deal of time and pride to explain it all to me in her free time. She eventually winded her way around to asking what, if any, Italian or Sicilian gods and goddesses existed.

The hook presented itself, so I did a fast run to the wiki and printed of the page on Etruscan deities for her (have to strike fast with these kinds). However, while those pages will help her a little (I gave her a paperback dictionary to ease the vocab), I'd like to be able to direct her to names she can then research on Theoi and other places. (Btw, I learned of Theoi here and it has helped more than one tough kid to dig deeper into learning. So thanks for that big time win Cauldron!)

The girl is mostly on her own and can be tough as nails. Has had to fight both literally and figuratively, yet has shown a great deal of maturity and compassion for others. She has learned almost everything some of the hardest ways. She has mere months before she will graduate if she keeps it together. I tell you this just in case it sparks a name that would be interesting for her kind.

I've seen a simple thing like this save a kid from dropping out and giving up. So your suggestions will all be treated like the best candy around over here.

South Italy was a Greek Colony... cult of greek deities was wide spread as demostrated by the numerous temple ruins.

In Sicily, the cult of Demeter, Persephone and Dionysos was of main importance: in particular Syracusae was important for annual representation of tragedies in honor of Dionysos (tragedies are still played in May and April , as turistic attraction) and it had a sanctuary for Apollo .
Agrigento, today a capital of a sicilian province, was  one of the leading cities of Magna Graecia during the golden age of Ancient Greece, under the name of Akras... it included the notorious Valley of the Temples, a large sacred area on the south side of the ancient city where seven monumental Greek temples.

The Temple of Locri Epizefiri, in Calabria, was one important place of cult for the celebration of Eleusian Mysteries in honor of Persephone, Hades and  Demeter.

A few links:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrigento
http://www.valleyofthetemples.com/valley_of_temples.htm
http://www.locriantica.it/english.htm
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 08:48:09 am »

I think the Etruscan deities are a great start, they have some really great art depicting the myths. Here's a link to the OGOD listing of some Etruscan goddesses. http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/etruscan.html Perhaps being tough and having and edge, she'd be interested in learning about Vanth.

Here are a couple other links I've gathered on Etruscan deities:
http://www.purplehell.com/riddletools/egods.htm
http://www.crystalinks.com/etruscans.html
And the following is not easy reading, but has some great pictures of many of the Etruscan myth mirrors:
http://www.maravot.com/Etruscan_Phrases_a.html

She may also be interested in Roman deities, of which there are hundreds. Here's the relevant OGOD page on some Roman goddesses: http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/roman.html

I've got a lot of bookmarks for Roman religion but many of them are kind of dull and would probably bore her. But I can post them later if you like. I have to run to work now.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:49:20 am »

She's "half Italian, Sicilian, half African" (she doesn't know which country)

Maybe Isis would be of interest to her? She's Roman and Egyptian.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 08:10:33 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;42079
South Italy was a Greek Colony... cult of greek deities was wide spread as demostrated by the numerous temple ruins.

In Sicily, the cult of Demeter, Persephone and Dionysos was of main importance: in particular Syracusae was important for annual representation of tragedies in honor of Dionysos (tragedies are still played in May and April , as turistic attraction) and it had a sanctuary for Apollo .
Agrigento, today a capital of a sicilian province, was  one of the leading cities of Magna Graecia during the golden age of Ancient Greece, under the name of Akras... it included the notorious Valley of the Temples, a large sacred area on the south side of the ancient city where seven monumental Greek temples.

The Temple of Locri Epizefiri, in Calabria, was one important place of cult for the celebration of Eleusian Mysteries in honor of Persephone, Hades and  Demeter.

A few links:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agrigento
http://www.valleyofthetemples.com/valley_of_temples.htm
http://www.locriantica.it/english.htm

Thank you very much! I've emailed this to myself at work so I can print it there for her. I am including your descriptions along with the links because, dang, the way you describe it makes me want to take some time off to dig in myself! And the May and April months will give her other connections to think about. Something to look forward to. That is a kindness anyone would appreciate.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;42089
I think the Etruscan deities are a great start, they have some really great art depicting the myths. Here's a link to the OGOD listing of some Etruscan goddesses. http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/etruscan.html Perhaps being tough and having and edge, she'd be interested in learning about Vanth.

Here are a couple other links I've gathered on Etruscan deities:
http://www.purplehell.com/riddletools/egods.htm
http://www.crystalinks.com/etruscans.html
And the following is not easy reading, but has some great pictures of many of the Etruscan myth mirrors:
http://www.maravot.com/Etruscan_Phrases_a.html

She may also be interested in Roman deities, of which there are hundreds. Here's the relevant OGOD page on some Roman goddesses: http://www.thaliatook.com/OGOD/roman.html

I've got a lot of bookmarks for Roman religion but many of them are kind of dull and would probably bore her. But I can post them later if you like. I have to run to work now.

Can't believe how lucky I am tonight with both of these replies! I also sent this one to myself at work to print along with the suggestion of Isis. Art, in my experience, has been able to soften the sometimes arduous task of reading for kids, even grown kids! She will love these links. Thank you!

Since she is going to be exploring all that you've given so far for a substantial amount of time, there will most likely be no need for you to give more of your time. Oh boy, do I appreciate what you've given already!

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 08:31:01 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;42095
\

Quote from: SkySamuelle;42079

Dear FierFlye & Skysamuelle,

Both of you have been an enormous help! There is so much here that she will be at it for months. You may have no idea how long this would have taken me to do (if I could do it at all) on my own. The kids I do have at the moment keep me running and to be able to do something for one that is now on the periphery is such a gift. And that I can get these things to her before the end of this week is simply, well, this doesn't happen often! It will make her feel like she and her thoughts are a priority. That people she doesn't know would take such time and effort will astonish her I assure you.

She is going to LOVE this. It is an opportunity for her to do something and learn things on her own and by her own volition. For some kids just doing that allows them to see themselves in a new and significantly important way. You know, believing in herself is what she has to do, when she digs in here, it will be something she wants to do.

You two represent the ultra rare win. Thank you.

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 07:18:01 am »

Hey, how about Aradia, the queen of the witches ? She is often called Herodias. She was an italian goddess who sworn to protect her people against the aggression of masculine faith and its persecutors during the reign of medieval terror. She is the daughter of the goddess of moon(Diana) and god of sun (Lucifer).
Here is her story :
Goddess Diana used magick to charm Lucifer. He was a bit afraid of her, most likely because she was a Moon Goddess, and very dark next to his light. Of this union, Aradia was born. Diana liked using magick, and wanted to develop her magickal strengths further, so she decided to go to Earth and do this. She disguised herself as a mortal woman and went to Earth. On Earth, Diana found that times were hard and the people were oppressed. She decided to teach the people magick, so that they were more easily able to care for themselves, and to protect themselves from their oppressors. Diana became a Witch, and she taught many people her craft. After a long while, Diana had no choice but to reveal herself as a Goddess. After doing this, Diana realized she must return to the heavens, and so she did. Diana knew there was more teaching to be done with the mortals, so she decided to send her daughter, Aradia, to Earth. Aradia was to take over where her mother had left off. Aradia was sent to Earth with instructions from Diana to be carried out. Aradia was instructed to teach the mortals aggressive magick, in order to help themselves from their horrific oppression. Aradia taught them well, as she was a strong and powerful Goddess. For the gifts of magick she gave so many, Aradia is considered "Queen of the Witches.
~Aqua

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:29:13 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42527
Hey, how about Aradia, the queen of the witches ? She is often called Herodias. She was an italian goddess who sworn to protect her people against the aggression of masculine faith and its persecutors during the reign of medieval terror. She is the daughter of the goddess of moon(Diana) and god of sun (Lucifer).
Here is her story

Hmm...Lucifer was the morning star in Roman mythology; the sun god was Helios and maybe sometimes called Phoebus, who may or not be another name of Apollo :confused: (Roman myth gets rather confusing, but I've only ever seen Lucifer described as the morning star.)

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:01 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;42586
Hmm...Lucifer was the morning star in Roman mythology; the sun god was Helios and maybe sometimes called Phoebus, who may or not be another name of Apollo :confused: (Roman myth gets rather confusing, but I've only ever seen Lucifer described as the morning star.)

It depends on the pantheon you work with :). I remember when my gradma used to tell me this story and Lucifer was the sun god and Diana the moon goddess. Maybe I'm wrong, thank you for the correction :)
~Aqua

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:37:38 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42590
It depends on the pantheon you work with :). I remember when my gradma used to tell me this story and Lucifer was the sun god and Diana the moon goddess. Maybe I'm wrong, thank you for the correction :)

As far as I'm aware, the story came from Charles Leland, a folklorist/fantasist who wrote 'Aradia', also known as 'Gospel of the Witches' in the late 1800s.  Here is a link to it at Sacred Texts:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/aradia/index.htm

Part of this work is a poem/charge that used to appear in a lot of BOS's, giving instructions on how to call on Aradia or Diana for assistance in magic.  I can't remember exactly where in the text that is, but you used to find it all over the 101 books.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Looking for Italian
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 04:42:40 pm »
I knew I wasn't totally wrong. Grams had told me that story for like 100 times and I can remember it clearly.
Thank you for the link, it'll be a pleasure to read it again.
~Aqua

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 10:08:14 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42527
Hey, how about Aradia? :

I will remember it and mention the name should I see her again soon. There is a shop of woo with that name in these parts. Thank you for the name. I think she has her fill right now, but it never hurts to have a another quest in pocket! :)

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 05:18:23 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;42651
I will remember it and mention the name should I see her again soon. There is a shop of woo with that name in these parts. Thank you for the name. I think she has her fill right now, but it never hurts to have a another quest in pocket! :)

Hey, you're welcome. If you need my help or you have a question, pm me . *hugs*
~Aqua

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
Quote from: Aqua;42611

A Reminder:

Hi, Aqua,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules.

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!

Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: