Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Unidentified Golden Grain Goddess  (Read 2047 times)

Clematis

• View Profile
Unidentified Golden Grain Goddess
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:59:27 pm »
Little back-story: I'm a single mother. I was laying in bed last night, fretting about being a bad mother and an undesirable woman (though I'm really not either--although both concepts are subjective), after talking to a female friend of mine who is single and childless, and listening to her ideas about mothering and men. I was feeling rather insecure about my value in the world, and beginning to let some of the stereotypes about "ideal" virginal women creep in.

I was becoming overwhelmed and then I had this image of a Goddess.

The image was of gold and amber (the colors). It wasn't a very delicate lemon yellow, like transient light, but a very physical, substantial gold that shone richly. The Goddess had wheat in her hair, and was composed of wheat, and some dark red gemstone that I assumed was garnet.

She was distinctly feminine and yet her silhouette was somewhat phallic, suggesting to me that she is associated with fertility and, maybe, sex (well, I guess those concepts go together).

She also seemed like a strong mother figure-- who protects and defends motherhood and the multitude of seemingly "mundane" tasks about it--kissing your child before sleep, feeding them, getting stretch marks--you know.

I mused that the image was communicating that wheat, like motherhood, is often taken for granted--since there are so many grains of wheat and also so many mothers (and so many little tasks in motherhood)...but that it is actually extremely valuable and should be honored.

That, while wheat isn't often considered as "valuable" as, say, diamonds or rare flowers (in our popular culture)-- this Goddess seemed to be affirming that wheat is EXTREMELY valuable, and should be honored and respected. She seemed very strong and protective, not just nurturing, and definitely not passive.

I was thinking that this image might represent Demeter? Do you know of other grain goddesses who are associated with a dark red stone--or perhaps it was a ripe fruit or blood, and with the color gold, and a strong sun (and probably summer)--who would aggressively defend mothers?

Generally I've identify with lunar deities--like Artemis or Bast. But this image was very different, I think.

I hope this isn't too newbie of a question for this forum. Thanks.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: Unidentified Golden Grain Goddess
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 03:23:53 pm »
Quote from: Clematis;42005
Little back-story: I'm a single mother. I was laying in bed last night, fretting about being a bad mother and an undesirable woman (though I'm really not either--although both concepts are subjective), after talking to a female friend of mine who is single and childless, and listening to her ideas about mothering and men. I was feeling rather insecure about my value in the world, and beginning to let some of the stereotypes about "ideal" virginal women creep in.

The image was of gold and amber (the colors). It wasn't a very delicate lemon yellow, like transient light, but a very physical, substantial gold that shone richly. The Goddess had wheat in her hair, and was composed of wheat, and some dark red gemstone that I assumed was garnet.

She was distinctly feminine and yet her silhouette was somewhat phallic, suggesting to me that she is associated with fertility and, maybe, sex (well, I guess those concepts go together).

She also seemed like a strong mother figure-- who protects and defends motherhood and the multitude of seemingly "mundane" tasks about it--kissing your child before sleep, feeding them, getting stretch marks--you know.

I mused that the image was communicating that wheat, like motherhood, is often taken for granted--since there are so many grains of wheat and also so many mothers (and so many little tasks in motherhood)...but that it is actually extremely valuable and should be honored.

That, while wheat isn't often considered as "valuable" as, say, diamonds or rare flowers (in our popular culture)-- this Goddess seemed to be affirming that wheat is EXTREMELY valuable, and should be honored and respected. She seemed very strong and protective, not just nurturing, and definitely not passive.

I was thinking that this image might represent Demeter? Do you know of other grain goddesses who are associated with a dark red stone--or perhaps it was a ripe fruit or blood, and with the color gold, and a strong sun (and probably summer)--who would aggressively defend mothers?

Generally I've identify with lunar deities--like Artemis or Bast. But this image was very different, I think.

I've always heard of garnet as associated to Persephone/Kore (grain associations to her too), but your description matches Her mother Demeter incredibly well.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 08:21:11 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;42016
I've always heard of garnet as associated to Persephone/Kore (grain associations to her too), but your description matches Her mother Demeter incredibly well.

Demeter was also the one who popped into my head.  Especailly when you consider what she did as a mother and seeking after her child, Persphonie.

Ursula

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 11:02:40 am »

Could she possibly have been Sif?  (I know wiki isn't the most reliable source in the world, but I've been reading from paper books a lot at the moment, and I don't have any known-to-be-reliable links to websites at my fingertips.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:16:51 pm by Marilyn/Absentminded »

DaraD

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:24:53 am »

Demeter immediately popped into my mind. Whenever I feel unsure as a mother, I can feel her strength reminding me that I can do this.

If you think the red thing might be a fruit, it could be a pomegranate. After all, the pomegranate is what Persephone ate to make it so she had to spend time in the Underworld.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 01:38:23 pm »
Quote from: DaraD;42103
Demeter immediately popped into my mind. Whenever I feel unsure as a mother, I can feel her strength reminding me that I can do this.

If you think the red thing might be a fruit, it could be a pomegranate. After all, the pomegranate is what Persephone ate to make it so she had to spend time in the Underworld.

It may be an earth-borne fruit but by your logic, wouldn't by that logic make Demeter not want it? (Then again, I am unsure if pomegranates feature in the Eleusinian Mysteries as offerings to Demeter.)
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

DaraD

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:43:00 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;42115
It may be an earth-borne fruit but by your logic, wouldn't by that logic make Demeter not want it? (Then again, I am unsure if pomegranates feature in the Eleusinian Mysteries as offerings to Demeter.)

I suppose that Demeter would not be a fan of the fruit, but I thought it worth mentioning since it is included in some of the versions of the myths. Of course, it would probably tie more to Persephone than Demeter, but I thought still worth a mention. ;)

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:59:56 pm »

Definitely sounds like Sif. Her hair is gold and is said to represent, or actually BE the wheat. Looking into northern sources could benefit you.

Sereyn

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:37:52 am »

I agree with what most have said. Sounds like Demeter, or Sif :) Maybe meditate on it and see what other symbols you receive.

Tags: