Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Moore evidence for the death of occultism  (Read 8994 times)

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
Moore evidence for the death of occultism
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:37:21 am »
An interesting review of an article by Alan Moore in the Gnostic Journal.

http://www.examiner.com/gnosticism-heretical-spirituality-in-national/moore-evidence-for-the-death-of-occultism

Moore bemoans that the great magical traditions have been orphaned for what he calls the ‘Occultism by numbers’ attitude that became predominant in the 19th century. The mercurial yet scientific approaches of John Dee and other Renaissance mages are nowhere to be found. Contemporary magic has become mechanical, self-serving, and an exercise in keeping up with the Crowley’s.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Moore evidence for the death of occultism
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:25:21 pm »
Quote from: cigfran;41237
An interesting review of an article by Alan Moore in the Gnostic Journal.

http://www.examiner.com/gnosticism-heretical-spirituality-in-national/moore-evidence-for-the-death-of-occultism

A large part of me goes "Yawn". The uses of magic and the occult have been more toward getting a SO, money, revenge, healing, etc. that the type of things he talks about -- throughout history. Those after all, are the major concerns of everyday people. I sympathize with his position, but it isn't very realistic.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:27:48 am »
Quote from: RandallS;41277
A large part of me goes "Yawn". The uses of magic and the occult have been more toward getting a SO, money, revenge, healing, etc. that the type of things he talks about -- throughout history. Those after all, are the major concerns of everyday people. I sympathize with his position, but it isn't very realistic.

I'm with you.  It also conveniently leaves out the fact that the ~Great Work~ was only accessible to a limited number of people.  And not just because you have to be a Sooper-Special Hardworking Snowflake, but also because you have to hit the minimum qualifications of having the leisure time, education, and ready funds.  If you have to spend a huge chunk of every day working for your basic survival, and if your class and/or gender prevent you from getting the education you need, then you've got no chance whatsoever to indulge your Spiritual Yearnings in ways that Proper Occultists would have found acceptable.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:03 am »
Quote from: catja6;41340
I'm with you.  It also conveniently leaves out the fact that the ~Great Work~ was only accessible to a limited number of people.  And not just because you have to be a Sooper-Special Hardworking Snowflake, but also because you have to hit the minimum qualifications of having the leisure time, education, and ready funds.  If you have to spend a huge chunk of every day working for your basic survival, and if your class and/or gender prevent you from getting the education you need, then you've got no chance whatsoever to indulge your Spiritual Yearnings in ways that Proper Occultists would have found acceptable.

Oh hell yeah.

[snark]
I was rolling my eyes about Privilege Mages just from the bit Cigfran quoted - and then I went and read the linked article.  Without coughing up a chunk of cash for the relevant issue of The Gnostic, I can't tell how much is Moore being asinine and how much is the reviewer  projecting his own issues onto Moore's writing, but that "review" (it's really not so much a review of Moore's article, as a whingefest springboarding from it) is pure wank.  Heck, it doesn't even make sense - the GD isn't a shining exception to a "by the numbers" occultism that took hold in the 19th century and has continuity to the present, it was a major player in shaping occultism's transition from the 19th to the 20th centuries.  And he's speaking from a Ceremonial Magic/Gnostic POV and excoriating everyone else for pretentiousness??

Also, Not Persecuted Enough! - the fundies aren't railing against occultism any more!  (That'd be why Newt Gingrich has yet to raise the spectre of encroaching paganism in the GOP nomination race... oh, wait, yes he has.  At which point one must conclude that Conner is either clueless about current events, or pissy because "paganism" rather than "occultism" is the centre of attention - which is still kinda current-event-clueless, since that shift is old hat... and in any case has little to do with either paganism or occultism as they're actually practiced, since in the Religious Right lexicon, they're synonymous buzzwords for "ungodly things".  But, oh horrors, his stuff is no longer the go-to word for RR preaching against the devil's works - aww, punkin, you're so oppressed by no longer being sufficiently oppressed.)

And, tiny but telling - Connor starts off by describing Moore's article as "byzantine".  I do not think that word means what he thinks it means.

That's just a few highlights, off the top of my head, not an exhaustive deconstruction.

Oh, look, I found a bio - and this guy is bemoaning other people's pretentiousness???  Oh, right - his has substance, 'cos he's Gnostic!  Unlike everyone else's, which surely can't have any real content.

Funny how much the "substance" resembles the usual end result of wanking.  (There should be a bingo card for this.)
[/snark]

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 06:55:34 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;41346
I was rolling my eyes about Privilege Mages just from the bit Cigfran quoted

"Privilege Mage" is my vocabulary word of the day.

The article is terribly written and badly in need of an editor. Given its tenor, I rather suspect that it is in fact more a revelation of the author's bugaboos than a fair review of Moore's actual ideas. Being a student of Gnosticism among other things, I've gone ahead and plunked for the issue.

I've always liked Moore, but I don't know enough about his actual magical thinking. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his attitudes are a bit arch, given how he deals with his own legacy in comics.

The author's complaint is one that I've heard before, of course - most recently with regard to Chaos Magic, which some appear to feel suffers too easily from its own post-modernism.

"There is no discipline anymore" is an almost universal kvetch in any discipline, I think.

But, setting the questions of privilege and reactions to it, is there substance? What is magic for? It seems to me that folk magic/hoodoo and the alchemical concerns of the Great Work are entirely different. Has the author (or Moore) confused these categories? Or has something actually become dilute, that requires concentration?

Thanks for the rants... I had no idea that dropping this pebble in the pond would occasion such disturbance, and it's been instructive. :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 06:56:41 am by cigfran »

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:56:37 am »
Quote from: cigfran;41353
The article is terribly written and badly in need of an editor. Given its tenor, I rather suspect that it is in fact more a revelation of the author's bugaboos than a fair review of Moore's actual ideas. Being a student of Gnosticism among other things, I've gone ahead and plunked for the issue.

I've always liked Moore, but I don't know enough about his actual magical thinking. I wouldn't be at all surprised if his attitudes are a bit arch, given how he deals with his own legacy in comics.

Very close to my own thoughts on the matter - I'm quite willing to believe that Moore's article provided fodder for Conner's bugaboos, but doubtful that the correlation between Moore's points and Conner's is anywhere near as close as Conner seems to think.  I'd be interested to hear what you think about Moore's article once you've read it.

The author's complaint is one that I've heard before, of course - most recently with regard to Chaos Magic, which some appear to feel suffers too easily from its own post-modernism.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that of Chaos Magic itself, but it's not uncommon among Chaos Mages (and even more common among technomages/cybermages).

But, setting the questions of privilege and reactions to it, is there substance? What is magic for? It seems to me that folk magic/hoodoo and the alchemical concerns of the Great Work are entirely different. Has the author (or Moore) confused these categories? Or has something actually become dilute, that requires concentration?

I'm not sure it's really possible to set the question of privilege aside here; as Catja noted, privilege, or lack thereof, has for centuries been a very strong influence on what any given practitioner considers the purpose of magic to be.

I think that may be less true now than in times past, in that there are fewer barriers of a purely social nature - someone who is in a position to afford either the pricey components of old-school "high" magic, or the leisure time to devote to Great Work-centred practice (of whatever school of CM), may choose instead to follow a folk magic approach without being scorned for doing something "beneath their station".  And there are far more people whose practices are in some way a hybrid of ceremonial and folk magical approaches.

Identifying those trends as a dilution to older approaches, rather than as new developments that broaden the range of available approaches, strikes me as problematic, and inherently entangled with privilege, referring as it inevitably does to the greater rigidity of past social orders.  OTOH, taking note of the ways in which a particular approach may be lost from/subsumed into that broader range of approaches isn't, IMO, inherently problematic (though it can easily be presented in ways that are).

I have (vague) thoughts beyond that, but they rely much too heavily on uninformed speculation about the content of Moore's article.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 11:36:08 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;41346
Oh, look, I found a bio

Hmmm.

As someone who also has "the thirst to live an authentic life of symbolism and mythology," I give everyone here permission, should I ever become this pompous, to blow my f*cking brains out. It would be a mercy killing.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:50:01 pm »
Quote from: Altair;41819
As someone who also has "the thirst to live an authentic life of symbolism and mythology," I give everyone here permission, should I ever become this pompous, to blow my f*cking brains out. It would be a mercy killing.

I'm not that merciful - I'd rather puncture your overinflated ego and leave you to live with that.

Seems pretty hypothetical to me, though - so not your style.

Sunflower

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;41471

I have (vague) thoughts beyond that, but they rely much too heavily on uninformed speculation about the content of Moore's article.

A free copy of the article (reposted with Moore's permission) is here.  And yes, I think there's at least an element of Conner going "look everyone, Alan Moore vaguely said some of the same things that I think and that makes me really cool and clever and girls should sleep with me!"

Couple of bits of background to this that may be useful if people are unaware of them.  

1.  Alan Moore worships the snake god, Glycon and has done for years.  This is despite the fact Glycon is almost certainly a fraud; quite possibly a hand puppet.  Moore cheerfully admits all of these, which makes it a bit silly for Conner to be putting him up as a poster child for some kind of ultra-serious return to ceremonial magick.

2.  This article should be seen in the wider context of the long-standing feud between Alan Moore and Grant Morrison.  There's a couple of points in the article that I'm pretty sure are Alan having a crafty dig at Grant.  I don't begrudge him that, frankly, most of the insults have been coming the other way over the years.  Grant has never quite forgiven Alan for being a better comics writer than him.

Some thoughts on the article itself.

I think Moore has got a point about how occultism has no relevance to humanity as a whole at the moment. However, I don't think he's as good at coming up with a viable solution to that.

This made me laugh heartily:

Or there’s Alex Crowley, tiresomely attempting to persuade his school-chums to refer to him as Shelley’s Alastor, like some self-conscious Goth from Nottingham called Dave insisting that his vampire name is Armand.

I'm all in favour of taking potshots at some of occultism's sacred cows.  Because, actually, while there is a hell of a lot of value in cuddly Uncle Al's work, you can't deny he was an incorrigible self-publicist.  As well as being an utter cock to those closest to him.

Moore's call for a scorched earth policy is overly dramatic, but I suspect it's as much polemic as it is literal.

He's got a point about people using magick for things that would be better solved by non-magickal means.  I'm sure a lot of us have come across people wanting love/lust spells where what they actually need is to work on their confidence.  Or possibly bathe more often.  But this is where I disagree with him strongly.  I think other people are quite right to point out the privilege of this position.  Independently wealthy occultists aren't going to do money spells, but that's not because they're 'deeper'.  Also, I think he's inconsistent.  If you want occultism to become relevant again, the worst thing you can do is abandon everyday life for a 'higher' approach.  It turns the occultist into someone apart from society, not a part of it.  I don't want to see more magicians.  I want to see more dilettantes.  

I agree totally that science is not applicable to the practise of magick.  It's not that the two are contradictory, it's that they don't cover the same area.  There's not one of us that could categorically prove our belief system in laboratory conditions.

I do think that Moore falls into "Art and Literature is better than Science!" stuff.  I lean that way myself, but I'm aware that's "person thinks their field is cooler than people who lean towards a different field".  And I'm not convinced Moore is.  That's an old rivalry, played out in universities across the world every day.  And, at the end of the day, it's all a bit silly, even if I enjoy it.

All in all though, I think it's a good article and the review really doesn't do it credit.  There's loads in it to disagree with, but I'd rather we had people putting opinions like this out there to be argued over and doing so strongly.  Better that then the "you cannot be critical of anything within occultism because if you do you are a big meanie and we are one big happy coca-cola advert" that permeates far too much discussion nowadays.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 08:32:36 am »
Quote from: Jabberwocky;43384
A free copy of the article (reposted with Moore's permission) is here.  And yes, I think there's at least an element of Conner going "look everyone, Alan Moore vaguely said some of the same things that I think and that makes me really cool and clever and girls should sleep with me!"

That you for posting a link to the original article. I haven't had time to read it yet, but I want to do so before I say anything else.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:55 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;43421
That you for posting a link to the original article. I haven't had time to read it yet, but I want to do so before I say anything else.

Ditto.

(Jabberwocky, as you've likely already noticed, your return is very timely!)

Sunflower

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 08:29:47 am »
I think Moore has got a point about how occultism has no relevance to humanity as a whole at the moment. However, I don't think he's as good at coming up with a viable solution to that.

I agree that has a point, but that it is somewhat limited one -- not to humanity as a whole or even occultism as a whole, but really only to the Western Occult Tradition and Western civilization. If you go beyond that, I think is point is less accurate.
Randall

Toriach

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 06:20:21 am »
I tried reading the article and managed to skim it at best. Frankly I found it more than a bit tedious. Also it largely seemed to add up to "Only the liquid in this particular container is worthy of being considered water. All else is not really water no matter what other deluded souls may wish to think."

It seemed largely to smack of elitism and condescension.

2.  This article should be seen in the wider context of the long-standing feud between Alan Moore and Grant Morrison.  There's a couple of points in the article that I'm pretty sure are Alan having a crafty dig at Grant.  I don't begrudge him that, frankly, most of the insults have been coming the other way over the years.  Grant has never quite forgiven Alan for being a better comics writer than him.

As regards the above quote, the nicest thing I can say is that I acknowledge your right to hold that opinion and that I wholeheartedly disagree with it.

While to be sure Moore was a good comic writer (I use the past tense because I'm honestly drawing a blank of what the last thing he's written in the medium since LOEG: The Black Dossier) pound for pound Morrison has written more that I've enjoyed and been inspired in one way or another by than Moore. Also frankly Morrison has an attitude towards the superhero genre that seems to be about celebrating the inherent possibilities of that genre, whereas Moore's whole attitude seems to be that since he is done with superheroes then nobody else's work with them could possibly have any merit of any kind.

In the field of magick Morrison has always struck me as being eager to help as many people as desire it to awaken to the magickal world, while Moore seems to have an attitude that is hard to pin down exactly but has always carried a fairly heavy whiff of elitism and exclusion.

Having said that I feel I must give proper credit to Moore's Promethea as one of the best and most enjoyable to read introductory texts to much of the basics of magickal theory.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 08:08:53 am »
Quote from: Toriach;44229

In the field of magick Morrison has always struck me as being eager to help as many people as desire it to awaken to the magickal world, while Moore seems to have an attitude that is hard to pin down exactly but has always carried a fairly heavy whiff of elitism and exclusion.

Isn't it essentially a conflict between post-modern and traditionalist approaches to discipline and intent?

It strikes me also that Moore's apparent elitism is pretty similar to the "anti-fluff-bunny-ism" of some neo-pagans, though less cruel.

Queen of Swords

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 11:19:59 pm »
A free copy of the article (reposted with Moore's permission) is here.  
All in all though, I think it's a good article and the review really doesn't do it credit.  There's loads in it to disagree with, but I'd rather we had people putting opinions like this out there to be argued over and doing so strongly.  Better that then the "you cannot be critical of anything within occultism because if you do you are a big meanie and we are one big happy coca-cola advert" that permeates far too much discussion nowadays.

I dislike Moore for a lot of reasons, some of which have already been brought up. He says some pretty offensive things in his essay. However, I think that what he has to say about consciousness, art and magic is intriguing. It's too bad that it's buried at the bottom of the second half of the essay under a mountain of bullshit.

I'm not yet a practitioner of magic, I'm just beginning to explore my interest in it, so I can't debate the virtues of Moore's proposition with any intelligence. It has given me something to think about on my journey, and for that I'm grateful.

Tags: