Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Can anyone help my daughter - I'm scared  (Read 6950 times)

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Can anyone help my daughter - I'm scared
« on: February 01, 2012, 09:46:17 pm »
My daughter is like me, sensitive;  sees and hears things others can't.  Lately, she has been "feeling" what she describes as oppressive waves of pulsing badness pound around her. (I have felt something similar, but not as strong).  Tonight, at a friends' house, whilst she was celebrating her 20th birthday, she saw and felt a dark shadowy presence looming over her which scared her so much, she rang me for help - party started at 8pm and she was on the phone at 8.23pm! What she thought I could do, still baffles me, but she said just contacting me was enough.

Now, my daughter is pretty level headed, and quite used to seeing others, but this has rattled her as not only did she see it, the other guests did too.  When we were talking on the phone, there was a lot of interference, and she said that although she was very scared, (and fear should have triggered adrenaline) she was feeling drained.

Does anyone know what this is, and what can be done to protect my daughter?  

Oh, yes, forgot to mention, that she had the sensation of being followed all the way home - but was too scared to turn and confront it - but felt calm as soon as she walked in the front door.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Can anyone help my daughter - I'm scared
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 08:07:44 am »
Quote from: stitchinwith;41187

I have no idea what it is, but does your daughter kniow how to ground and center -- and how to shield? The latter is the more important in this situation, but the former helps the latter.  Here's article on basic protection/shielding: Psychic Protection.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:07:46 am »
Quote from: RandallS;41228
I have no idea what it is, but does your daughter kniow how to ground and center -- and how to shield? The latter is the more important in this situation, but the former helps the latter.  Here's article on basic protection/shielding: Psychic Protection.

Thanks for the link, and although she can shield, she has to develop this further, and she's going to learn grounding and centring.

Can you suggest any knowledgeable sites for me to try and find out what this is?  I'm too scared to lift my Tarot - I haven't touched them since 30th July 2008 when the answer I got seemed highly unlikely, but when it came true, and my hubby died (he had terminal cancer - death had been expected, but not that rapidly) I've felt void of "being", and not strong enough to do a reading, as that is when I open myself to "whatever" is trying to contact me.

Again, thank you for being there

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28:08 am »
Quote from: stitchinwith;41232

Can you suggest any knowledgeable sites for me to try and find out what this is?

Personally, I don't think any one is going to be able to tell you exactly what it is. Some people may claim to know, but I wouldn't trust them. How can we, as humans, truly know the nature of spirits? I think that trying to classify paranormal phenomenon with a flow-chart type key only limits our understanding. Also I don't think that WHAT they are is nearly as important as what they want and how they act.

I think we CAN safely classify pp thusly: 1. is it intelligent or residual? and 2. is it benign or causing trouble?

From your description it sounds like the spirit is intelligent and is causing trouble. Whether or not it MEANS to cause trouble and scare your daughter is another matter. You or someone else may be able to communicate with it directly to find out what it wants. But it may not be worth your effort. If your daughter really believes it has bad intentions, I think the best thing to do would be for her to confront it and tell it to get lost.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:10:19 pm »
My daughter is like me, sensitive;  sees and hears things others can't.  Lately, she has been "feeling" what she describes as oppressive waves of pulsing badness pound around her. (I have felt something similar, but not as strong).  Tonight, at a friends' house, whilst she was celebrating her 20th birthday, she saw and felt a dark shadowy presence looming over her which scared her so much, she rang me for help - party started at 8pm and she was on the phone at 8.23pm! What she thought I could do, still baffles me, but she said just contacting me was enough.

Now, my daughter is pretty level headed, and quite used to seeing others, but this has rattled her as not only did she see it, the other guests did too.  When we were talking on the phone, there was a lot of interference, and she said that although she was very scared, (and fear should have triggered adrenaline) she was feeling drained.

Oh, yes, forgot to mention, that she had the sensation of being followed all the way home - but was too scared to turn and confront it - but felt calm as soon as she walked in the front door.

I am by no means an expert, but basing my opinion on the kind of behavior you describe, it sounds like this 'presence' might have parasitic intentions... i mean, if 'it' is scaring your daughter on purpose, and with no apparent point but the fear itself, maybe 'it' is feeding off her fear ... it might explain why she is feeling drained despite being intensely scared.

If this was true, then shielding should solve the problem, at least in theory - once that being is cut off the energy bonus, 'it' might have no reason to stick around.

There's the possibility of a banishing ritual too, if you are comfortable with it.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Smokebender

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:08:50 pm »

I'm inclined to agree with all of the above, especially Randall.
I wouldn't necessarily follow someone elses manner of doing anything unless I felt totally comfortable with it. I believe all doubt needs to be removed from the equation if possible.

An example of shielding would be the way I do it for myself. I use quartz crystals for everything. I first draw a circle in the air around me, then starting at my feet I draw another circle over my head back to me feet in a north to south direction and again from east to west. I've made a sphere around myself. While I'm creating the sphere I'll  give the direction that the sphere will protect me from all outside influences and evil. I feel confidence and a sort of comfort after the rite. So far it has worked for me.

You may offer the example to your daughter to see if something along these lines will help her.

I've done the same thing in a similar manner for my home. I directed the sphere to encapsulate my home and altered the chant to remove all that may be evil from the premises as well as protect the home at all times and those who inhabit it.
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:43:01 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;41234
Personally, I don't think any one is going to be able to tell you exactly what it is. Some people may claim to know, but I wouldn't trust them. How can we, as humans, truly know the nature of spirits? I think that trying to classify paranormal phenomenon with a flow-chart type key only limits our understanding. Also I don't think that WHAT they are is nearly as important as what they want and how they act.

I think we CAN safely classify pp thusly: 1. is it intelligent or residual? and 2. is it benign or causing trouble?

From your description it sounds like the spirit is intelligent and is causing trouble. Whether or not it MEANS to cause trouble and scare your daughter is another matter. You or someone else may be able to communicate with it directly to find out what it wants. But it may not be worth your effort. If your daughter really believes it has bad intentions, I think the best thing to do would be for her to confront it and tell it to get lost.

Thank you for rationale, my daughter (and I might add her friends) felt this was non-benign, and apparently they have sense it before, but this is the first time it has "confronted" them en-mass. All of the friends felt "something" threatening follow them home, so it's not just confined to my daughter.  I've ruled out mass hysteria - all the kids have reported seeing (out of the corner of their eye) fleeting shadows which vanish as swiftly as they appear individually.  This is the first collective encounter.  

Again, thank you for helping.  Your advice means a lot.  My daughter has promised that the next time she encounter this, she will tell it to do away.

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;41240
I am by no means an expert, but basing my opinion on the kind of behavior you describe, it sounds like this 'presence' might have parasitic intentions... i mean, if 'it' is scaring your daughter on purpose, and with no apparent point but the fear itself, maybe 'it' is feeding off her fear ... it might explain why she is feeling drained despite being intensely scared.

If this was true, then shielding should solve the problem, at least in theory - once that being is cut off the energy bonus, 'it' might have no reason to stick around.

There's the possibility of a banishing ritual too, if you are comfortable with it.

Thanks, and yes, she did feel drained, and still is today.  I'm a newbie and not religious.  If there was any banishing ritual I could do that did not necessitate calling on a god or such like, I would feel quite comfortable to try it out.

Again, thank you so much. I'll let you know if I track down a non-religious banishing ritual, and more to the point, if it works.  Thanks.

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 01:57:31 pm »
Quote from: Smokebender;41244
An example of shielding would be the way I do it for myself. I use quartz crystals for everything. I first draw a circle in the air around me, then starting at my feet I draw another circle over my head back to me feet in a north to south direction and again from east to west. I've made a sphere around myself. While I'm creating the sphere I'll  give the direction that the sphere will protect me from all outside influences and evil. I feel confidence and a sort of comfort after the rite. So far it has worked for me.

You may offer the example to your daughter to see if something along these lines will help her.

I've done the same thing in a similar manner for my home. I directed the sphere to encapsulate my home and altered the chant to remove all that may be evil from the premises as well as protect the home at all times and those who inhabit it.

Thanks, once again, for your helpful advice.  May I ask why you use crystals to shield?  I know you'll point me in the direction of a good book, you haven't failed me yet.

Again, thank you.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:06:03 pm »

As others have said, work on centering, grounding, and shielding is a good place to start. In principle, I consider centering to be knowing what's you and what's not you, grounding being balancing your energy (and giving you more options for interacting from the best possible position with the world), and shielding to be about setting boundaries about what affects you and what doesn't. I've got articles on my website at http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/ (in the Basics section, at the top) that may be useful to you and your daughter. Some items on that page are religious in focus, but the Breathing/Centering/Grounding/Energetic Self-Care ones largely aren't.

That said, I want to come back to something that hasn't gotten a ton of time in this thread yet - which is the nature of what's going on.

My general belief about the world is that there's lots of things out there - humans, animals, etc. but also things that live in forms we can't generally see or easily interact with. Like most humans, animals, etc. I think that most of those beings are largely interested in their own lives - we might cross paths occasionally, but it's like walking past someone in the supermarket: not a big deal.

That said, sometimes beings have either a particular fixation on strong emotion (including fear), or grow out of it, or simply creep us out a bit (just like people can, even if they're not doing anything obviously destructive.)

Sometimes they cluster in particular locations - every campus infirmary building I've ever been by since I started paying attention to this. (Not because horrible things happen in college infirmaries, I think, but because they're sources of low-grade misery in a particular way. Interestingly enough, I've had minor very specific experiences in actual hospitals, but nothing like the same general creepiness.)

The thing I come back to, then, is "If this were someone human, who was weirding me out, how would I deal with it?" The answer to that depends a lot on circumstances, but in general, taking steps to be more aware and attentive when I'm in places it's happened (i.e. not listening to music, talking on the phone, being too distracted by conversations with friends) and yet not feed useless fears (having something simple to distract me lightly - a book, for example, if I need to wait somewhere.)

Likewise, there's a lot of ways to use shielding to do what is effectively a "Don't pay attention to me." Doing so generally takes practice, and needs to be nuanced (you don't want someone walking by on the street to walk into you, etc. It's not, generally, that people don't *see* you, but that they don't notice you. But those are generally short term solutions to get past a particular area.

In general, being specific about what your daughter is experiencing (in notes to herself) can also help. Particular location? Time of day? Set of circumstances (for example, some people are a lot more sensitive to this kind of thing after having a strong emotional experience - a fight with a friend, a really good party, a movie that made them cry.) Sometimes being with someone (a friend, a romantic partner) can amplify sensitivity.

By figuring out the patterns, it's easier to figure out a) if there's really something going on and b) what might help to do about it. I'd also recommend a book that's all about physical-reality safety and fear as an alertness tool, Gavin de Becker's _The Gift of Fear_. Totally non magical, except that it's all about listening to and training your intuition, so that it gives you useful information to help you make better choices in your actions.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 03:54:39 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;41256
As others have said, work on centering, grounding, and shielding is a good place to start. In principle, I consider centering to be knowing what's you and what's not you, grounding being balancing your energy (and giving you more options for interacting from the best possible position with the world), and shielding to be about setting boundaries about what affects you and what doesn't. I've got articles on my website at http://gleewood.org/seeking/practices/ (in the Basics section, at the top) that may be useful to you and your daughter. Some items on that page are religious in focus, but the Breathing/Centering/Grounding/Energetic Self-Care ones largely aren't.

That said, I want to come back to something that hasn't gotten a ton of time in this thread yet - which is the nature of what's going on.

My general belief about the world is that there's lots of things out there - humans, animals, etc. but also things that live in forms we can't generally see or easily interact with. Like most humans, animals, etc. I think that most of those beings are largely interested in their own lives - we might cross paths occasionally, but it's like walking past someone in the supermarket: not a big deal.

That said, sometimes beings have either a particular fixation on strong emotion (including fear), or grow out of it, or simply creep us out a bit (just like people can, even if they're not doing anything obviously destructive.)

Sometimes they cluster in particular locations - every campus infirmary building I've ever been by since I started paying attention to this. (Not because horrible things happen in college infirmaries, I think, but because they're sources of low-grade misery in a particular way. Interestingly enough, I've had minor very specific experiences in actual hospitals, but nothing like the same general creepiness.)

The thing I come back to, then, is "If this were someone human, who was weirding me out, how would I deal with it?" The answer to that depends a lot on circumstances, but in general, taking steps to be more aware and attentive when I'm in places it's happened (i.e. not listening to music, talking on the phone, being too distracted by conversations with friends) and yet not feed useless fears (having something simple to distract me lightly - a book, for example, if I need to wait somewhere.)

Likewise, there's a lot of ways to use shielding to do what is effectively a "Don't pay attention to me." Doing so generally takes practice, and needs to be nuanced (you don't want someone walking by on the street to walk into you, etc. It's not, generally, that people don't *see* you, but that they don't notice you. But those are generally short term solutions to get past a particular area.

In general, being specific about what your daughter is experiencing (in notes to herself) can also help. Particular location? Time of day? Set of circumstances (for example, some people are a lot more sensitive to this kind of thing after having a strong emotional experience - a fight with a friend, a really good party, a movie that made them cry.) Sometimes being with someone (a friend, a romantic partner) can amplify sensitivity.

By figuring out the patterns, it's easier to figure out a) if there's really something going on and b) what might help to do about it. I'd also recommend a book that's all about physical-reality safety and fear as an alertness tool, Gavin de Becker's _The Gift of Fear_. Totally non magical, except that it's all about listening to and training your intuition, so that it gives you useful information to help you make better choices in your actions.

Thank you for the advice and I'll get a copy of the book, the gift of fear, asap. Again, thanks for being there.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 06:17:55 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;41247
Thank you for rationale, my daughter (and I might add her friends) felt this was non-benign, and apparently they have sense it before, but this is the first time it has "confronted" them en-mass.

Has your daughter tried simply telling it firmly to go away and leave her alone?  This sometimes works, especially if you aren't particularly afraid of the entity.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Smokebender

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »
Quote from: stitchinwith;41251
Thanks, once again, for your helpful advice.  May I ask why you use crystals to shield?  I know you'll point me in the direction of a good book, you haven't failed me yet.

Again, thank you.

Don't look at me as being someone that's an expert,,,, I'm far from it. I'm merely repeating at times what I've read and just "felt right" to me. If I say "I've done this, I have. If I don't say I've done this, odds are I'm stating my opinion and that's all.

The reason I use crystals is because of the feeling I get from them. The same goes for silver and turquoise, consequently I'm fond of Navajo handmade jewelry.

I carry a small crystal in my pocket for "just in case" for the extra energy.
I have a large one - [a little over 1 pound in fact] that is six sided, oblong, with six sided pyramid points on both ends. The "base" as larger than the tip. When I'm using it, the base stays pointed at me to draw energy from me and the tip is pointed away from me to send the energy.  I use crystals as well as some of the Navajo jewelry. The large crystal more or less acts as a wand in a way. Whenever I want energy directed, I use it.

Randall once more pointed out something I agree with about simply telling whatever to just leave, it isn't welcome. This does work most of the time. I feel you're correct in not calling on Gods you don't believe in. The catch is like he pointed out, one cannot show fear and must speak with conviction. On this one, yes, I've done this myself once before and it worked.

As for a book, if you're interested in Chaos, the easiest book to understand so far I've read is Visual Magic by Jan Fries. The next most informative is Liber Null by Robert Crowley. I've already mentioned them in the forum. I've read others but can't recommend them because for me they were boring and repeats of the two above. I have a ton more to go through and if I feel they would benefit someone I'll mention them.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:15:22 pm by Smokebender »
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:37:01 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;41275
Has your daughter tried simply telling it firmly to go away and leave her alone?  This sometimes works, especially if you aren't particularly afraid of the entity.

Although she has calmed down, she is feeling very fatigued, and when I asked if she could forcefully tell it to leave her alone, she looked quite daunted by the prospect.  I've planted that seed of thought you've given me in her mind, maybe when she is ready to face up to her fear, she'll be able to face up to this thing.

Again, thank you for your thoughts on this, I'm so glad I found TC.

stitchinwith

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:08 pm »
Quote from: Smokebender;41298
The reason I use crystals is because of the feeling I get from them. The same goes for silver and turquoise, consequently I'm fond of Navajo handmade jewelry.

I carry a small crystal in my pocket for "just in case" for the extra energy.
I have a large one - [a little over 1 pound in fact] that is six sided, oblong, with six sided pyramid points on both ends. The "base" as larger than the tip. When I'm using it, the base stays pointed at me to draw energy from me and the tip is pointed away from me to send the energy.  I use crystals as well as some of the Navajo jewelry. The large crystal more or less acts as a wand in a way. Whenever I want energy directed, I use it.

Randall once more pointed out something I agree with about simply telling whatever to just leave, it isn't welcome. This does work most of the time. I feel you're correct in not calling on Gods you don't believe in. The catch is like he pointed out, one cannot show fear and must speak with conviction. On this one, yes, I've done this myself once before and it worked.

As for a book, if you're interested in Chaos, the easiest book to understand so far I've read is Visual Magic by Jan Fries. The next most informative is Liber Null by Robert Crowley. I've already mentioned them in the forum. I've read others but can't recommend them because for me they were boring and repeats of the two above. I have a ton more to go through and if I feel they would benefit someone I'll mention them.

Again, thank you.  Thanks for explaining the crystals, thanks for understanding I am uncomfortable using gods I don't believe in, and thanks for the tips on books - read Visual Magic - got it on a pdf, and I've ordered Liber Null by Paul Huson - did Robert Crowley do one as well?  His name crops up in quite a few publications I've been reading.... I trust your knowledge, your common sense and your patience explaining things to me.  Thanks

Tags: