Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Moon rituals?  (Read 3299 times)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
Moon rituals?
« on: January 31, 2012, 11:21:50 pm »
Not really sure how to phrase this. For a while I have been thinking about adding rituals to my path. (Up until now it has simply been charging my chakra's and sporadic meditations)  I know I want to incorporate the moon in my rituals (that have yet to exist) but not quite sure how.

For a little back round info, I consider myself an animistic pagan. I believe that there is energy throughout everything and we connect with that energy by doing the things we love (which for me is playing my oboe) and being around things we love. I also acknowledge chakra's and will use them to help center and ground me before any serious meditation. Oh... and I am aslo trying to do small self-taught yoga sessions 3 times a week.

Any suggestions?

DaraD

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Moon rituals?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 01:13:40 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;41097

Any suggestions?

First, do you want to do rituals for all phases of the moon or specific phases? Each phase of the moon can symbolize something different and will bring a different energy to that particular ritual.

The Grumble

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Kyoht.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:02:09 pm »
Quote from: DaraD;41135
First, do you want to do rituals for all phases of the moon or specific phases? Each phase of the moon can symbolize something different and will bring a different energy to that particular ritual.

Also, what does the moon symbolize to you?  That could help come up with ways to express yourself ritually.

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 04:07:17 pm »
Quote from: DaraD;41135

Quote from: The Grumble;41148
Also, what does the moon symbolize to you?  That could help come up with ways to express yourself ritually.

DaraD: I want to at least honor the full and new moons. I'm not sure if my schedule will allow me to do the quarters.

Grumble: Will think about/meditate on this and get back to you :)

Thanks for the help

OpenHands

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:50:24 pm »
Not really sure how to phrase this. For a while I have been thinking about adding rituals to my path. (Up until now it has simply been charging my chakra's and sporadic meditations)  I know I want to incorporate the moon in my rituals (that have yet to exist) but not quite sure how.

For a little back round info, I consider myself an animistic pagan. I believe that there is energy throughout everything and we connect with that energy by doing the things we love (which for me is playing my oboe) and being around things we love. I also acknowledge chakra's and will use them to help center and ground me before any serious meditation. Oh... and I am aslo trying to do small self-taught yoga sessions 3 times a week.

Any suggestions?

I agree that you should determine what the moon phases mean to you and then figure out how to honor that symbolism.  Also, don't feel like your observances have to be long or involved if that might cause you to feel overwhelmed.  Sometimes it's best to start simply and build from there.  Your practices may evolve as you explore different ways to honor the moon phases.  

My religion follows a luni-solar calendar so my practices are about observing the progression of the lunar months and, ultimately, the yearly religious cycle.  New moon is a time to mark the beginning of the new month with an offering of incense and prayers of gratitude to my gods.  I also touch base with the state of my relationships, projects, and goals so that I can regularly tweak as needed.  I'm also starting to incorporate some light housework as a way to bring that sense of renewal into my living space too.  Full moon is a time for celebration- again with incense and prayers- and doing something fun or relaxing.  

Don't know if any of my practices will be of use to you, but I figured it couldn't hurt to share in case it sparks an idea.  :)  Start small and see what blossoms from there.

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:36:12 am »
Quote from: OpenHands;41179
I agree that you should determine what the moon phases mean to you and then figure out how to honor that symbolism.  Also, don't feel like your observances have to be long or involved if that might cause you to feel overwhelmed.  Sometimes it's best to start simply and build from there.  Your practices may evolve as you explore different ways to honor the moon phases.  

My religion follows a luni-solar calendar so my practices are about observing the progression of the lunar months and, ultimately, the yearly religious cycle.  New moon is a time to mark the beginning of the new month with an offering of incense and prayers of gratitude to my gods.  I also touch base with the state of my relationships, projects, and goals so that I can regularly tweak as needed.  I'm also starting to incorporate some light housework as a way to bring that sense of renewal into my living space too.  Full moon is a time for celebration- again with incense and prayers- and doing something fun or relaxing.  

Don't know if any of my practices will be of use to you, but I figured it couldn't hurt to share in case it sparks an idea.  :)  Start small and see what blossoms from there.

thanks. I really like the idea of touching base with various goals in life. I am a VERY goal/list oriented person and it's a good way to combine my path with my daily life. Although I personally don't (lacking the right word here) follow? any gods, i do burn incense regularly and think it would be a good place to start.

Is there a way I could incorporate the zodiac symbols associated with specific moon positions (sorry if this is the wrong terminology, I recently found this and it intrigued me) into the ritual?

(this would be my first formal ritual if that wasn't clear in the original post)

Thanks for all the help!

OpenHands

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://mathbatu.wordpress.com
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 05:52:10 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;41206
thanks. I really like the idea of touching base with various goals in life. I am a VERY goal/list oriented person and it's a good way to combine my path with my daily life. Although I personally don't (lacking the right word here) follow? any gods, i do burn incense regularly and think it would be a good place to start.

Is there a way I could incorporate the zodiac symbols associated with specific moon positions (sorry if this is the wrong terminology, I recently found this and it intrigued me) into the ritual?

(this would be my first formal ritual if that wasn't clear in the original post)

Thanks for all the help!

Happy to help.  Your question about incorporating the zodiac into lunar cycles is interesting, but I'm afraid I don't know much about astrology.  That would be a good question to pose in a new thread, I think.

Aqua

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Moon rituals?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 09:38:07 am »
you can search for the astrological signs of the moon are
good for and see which spells will be more powerful.
and if you can't go outside on the full moon, just light the candle and meditate vizualizing the moon light on your face. don't forget to thank the moon for being with you and protectin you
~Aqua

Silverlight

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://lianslalas.bloglspot.com
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;41206

Thanks for all the help!

I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but when I do "moon rituals", I call upon the cardinal gaurdians, which are of Buddhist origin I believe.  They represent north, south, east, and west; black tortoise, red pheonix, blue dragon, and white tiger, respectively.  There are also a set of constalations that correspond to each "realm" that the gaurdians keep.  I call upon these powers for protection in my ritual circle/area.  Is this the type of thing you mean, or are you referring to a different/western zodiac?  ^^  I hope I was somewhat helpful.

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 03:50:25 pm »
Quote from: Silverlight;44283
I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but when I do "moon rituals", I call upon the cardinal gaurdians, which are of Buddhist origin I believe.  They represent north, south, east, and west; black tortoise, red pheonix, blue dragon, and white tiger, respectively.  There are also a set of constalations that correspond to each "realm" that the gaurdians keep.  I call upon these powers for protection in my ritual circle/area.  Is this the type of thing you mean, or are you referring to a different/western zodiac?  ^^  I hope I was somewhat helpful.

I was originally thinking zodiac as in Gemini, Taurus ect. But your zodiac symbols(?) sound really interesting. I'm planning on looking into Buddhist/Zen religions/philosophies. Do you have any good resources for a beginner?

thanks!

Silverlight

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://lianslalas.bloglspot.com
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 05:00:11 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;44295
I was originally thinking zodiac as in Gemini, Taurus ect. But your zodiac symbols(?) sound really interesting. I'm planning on looking into Buddhist/Zen religions/philosophies. Do you have any good resources for a beginner?

thanks!

Sure!

This site seems to have some good, basic information.
http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ssu-ling.shtml

I don't work with them a lot, but they are strong gaurdians for rituals, especially if you are opening up your energy to the cosmos. :)

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:03 am »

Any suggestions?

Well, the full and new moons are points of great energy and you said that you were interested in energy. I have also found that they are brilliant times for meditation. Maybe you could start to do monthly lunar meditations and focus on sensing energy? Other than that, as others have suggested you're going to have to decide what the moon means to you, and what including it in your rituals means. Best of luck!

caelestisraven

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »

Any suggestions?

http://www.mooncircles.com/index.html

I love this site ^^ You can sign up for an email newsletter type thing. They have info on the moon and astrology and very simple lovely moon rituals.

It might be a good site to check out and something to get you started then expand on yourself
♥ I walk in the shadow of the moon, I dance to the pulse of the earth. ♥

My Blog..¤°.¸¸.•´¯`»http://moonkissedraven.blogspot.com/ ›●‹

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 02:37:09 pm »

Any suggestions?

I usually tend to try to incorporate Hecate (Greek 'lunar' Goddess) into my Esbat and new moon rituals. I would imagine that these ideas could be used to incorporated into rituals designed to honor the moon.

What I usually do is thank her, during full moons, for 'lighting' our paths through my magical and mundane lives.

For new moons, I thank her for the rebirth that is happening in the moon cycle, and my life. I like to mediate on transitions during this time.

Holdasown

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Blog
  • Religion: Norse/Germanic Polytheists
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:16:54 am »

Any suggestions?

You could put a bowl out at dusk and collect it before dawn. Dew is considered moon charged, you could use it in some type of ritual way. Maybe as an offering or for cleaning. Mani, the moon in Norse myth, is a male energy and due to his effect on the tides tied to math. Music is very math like in nature so playing for him or the Moon in general is a good idea. Charging your stones in the moon light or tools would give them a lunar touch. Monday is Moon Day so maybe spending some time looking at the moon or making an offering would be good.

Tags: