Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Dreaming of unknown Greek Goddess  (Read 2785 times)

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://hourofthewitch.tumblr.com
Dreaming of unknown Greek Goddess
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:01:08 pm »
Hello everyone! I was on ECauldron for a few months now (that sounds so bad, haha.), but I never quite got the courage or reason to join myself. I have learned so much about spirituality on this site, though I now have a question that I need help answering. My name is Amber, by the way. Wonderful to meet you all. :)

I copied this from my Tumblr earlier, here you go. Thank you so much in advance:

I had a really strange dream around 4am last night. It was completely lucid - I can remember myself choosing to ask questions and I was in complete control. I've been researching this for an hour now to no avail. Help?

I was speaking with a friend at a nearby field when a woman rode by on a black horse. She was bareback, though I can't remember if she was sitting sidesaddle or not. She had chocolate brown hair and porcelain skin. Her hair was curled and shifted to the side as if in a low side ponytail. She had a huge smile.

I excused myself and went up to her. She was practically shining. She reminded me of the epitome of a maiden deity. Complete freedom.

I had to climb a ladder to reach her, where we spoke. She smiled the whole time. I asked who she was, and she simply shook her head, and said to call her whatever I like. I got the words 'Veria' and 'Lania' (I'm not sure if it was Lania, or something close to that) in my head, and the word 'rainbow' as well.

I asked if she could at least give me a hint to who she was or what I could call her and all she said, with a smile, of course, was, "I do like leopards."

The ladder then began wobbling out of control. I wasn't sure if we said goodbye, but I do remember she had the whitest teeth and biggest smile. I woke up before I fell.

My research has shown that Veria (I have never heard of this place in my life) was an ancient Macedonian city, and much emphasis has been put on the Apostle of St. Paul. Lania hasn't shown anything, but I've looked up lamia, the Greek female-vampire, and that is completely wrong. I don't know where the leopard reference came from, nor why she rode a horse.

She seemed to enjoy teasing me. Perhaps some of you know more than I do about this deity?
"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour..."
- William Blake

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Dreaming of unknown Greek Goddess
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:17:56 pm »
Quote from: hourofthewitch;40817

The word 'rainbow' made me think of Iris and 'leopards' made me think of Ariadne[/i].  And that is just among Greek deities.  Are you absolutely sure She was Greek?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;40819
The word 'rainbow' made me think of Iris and 'leopards' made me think of Ariadne[/i].  And that is just among Greek deities.  Are you absolutely sure She was Greek?

Certainly. She gave me words that I looked up that proved to be of Greek origin. I'll certainly check out Iris and Ariadne. She just reminded me of the sun. So vibrant and bright, yet ancient.
"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour..."
- William Blake

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 08:32:17 pm »
She reminded me of the epitome of a maiden deity. Complete freedom.

That part makes me think of Artemis, although I can't think of a deity that covers everything you mentioned. Sometimes a dream is just a dream. Maybe you came across references to Greek gods in your waking life and didn't notice, and they arose in your subconscious while you were asleep, mixed with other random things in your mind.

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;40821
That part makes me think of Artemis, although I can't think of a deity that covers everything you mentioned. Sometimes a dream is just a dream. Maybe you came across references to Greek gods in your waking life and didn't notice, and they arose in your subconscious while you were asleep, mixed with other random things in your mind.

You're very correct. I had meditated a few nights before, asking for a sign or presence, since I'm at a complete standstill in my life, so every little thing could "trick" me, so to say. Thank you for this. x
- William Blake

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 08:37:00 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;40819

I got chills when I looked up Ariadne. I literally said "of course" when I read her story. I'm at a standstill in life, not knowing where to go, who I am (I'm 21, not in college as of now...), and what I'm capable of. Her impeccable sense of timing does make perfect sense, especially at this point in my life. I think I shall meditate on Her and see what answers She gives me. Thank you. x
- William Blake

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 09:13:56 pm »
I was speaking with a friend at a nearby field when a woman rode by on a black horse. She was bareback, though I can't remember if she was sitting sidesaddle or not. She had chocolate brown hair and porcelain skin. Her hair was curled and shifted to the side as if in a low side ponytail. She had a huge smile.

I excused myself and went up to her. She was practically shining. She reminded me of the epitome of a maiden deity. Complete freedom.

I had to climb a ladder to reach her, where we spoke. She smiled the whole time. I asked who she was, and she simply shook her head, and said to call her whatever I like. I got the words 'Veria' and 'Lania' (I'm not sure if it was Lania, or something close to that) in my head, and the word 'rainbow' as well.

I asked if she could at least give me a hint to who she was or what I could call her and all she said, with a smile, of course, was, "I do like leopards."

The ladder then began wobbling out of control. I wasn't sure if we said goodbye, but I do remember she had the whitest teeth and biggest smile. I woke up before I fell.

My research has shown that Veria (I have never heard of this place in my life) was an ancient Macedonian city, and much emphasis has been put on the Apostle of St. Paul. Lania hasn't shown anything, but I've looked up lamia, the Greek female-vampire, and that is completely wrong. I don't know where the leopard reference came from, nor why she rode a horse.

She seemed to enjoy teasing me. Perhaps some of you know more than I do about this deity?

There's a couple of issue's here that have to be addressed.

Just because you have some Greek words does not mean it is a Greek god / goddess.  Greece had colonies through out the mediterrian basin and into Asia Minor.  Many a Greek word and usage is found today in those areas.  Not entirely different than saying it has to be a Roman god / goddess because they spoke latin.  TO assume your dealing with such simply because of a few words shows a lack of understanding on how the Greek influence spread and continue on into the Roman period of world power.

You speak of her being astride a horse.  That points to a number of potential areas.  Spain had a horse goddess.  Epona is another horse goddess found in celtic areas.  You have horse type goddess that are found in Asia Minor or into the area's north of the Black and Caspian seas.  Again all area's that have had direct interaction with Greek culture with the possible exception of Epona.

You've made an assumption of what a maiden goddess is based upon your own ideals not necessarily based upon cultural or historic records.  Especially given that many maiden goddesses are also described more so as pre-pubscent girls.  Artemis a prime example of a pre-pubscent girl when described in her role as Huntress or Agrotera and associated to the Olympian pantheon.

Hekate / Hecate another maiden goddess in early records as she relates to Anatolia.  Diana another maiden goddess in early records who losses that facet or reduced in influence in later records.  Yet thier maidenhood described and recorded differently for each of them in almost all facets.

You mention Macedonia which if was Artemis as someone suggested then she is not a maiden goddess in that capacity but Artemis Tauropolis and a blood goddess.   Also directly associated to Bulls and the sacrifice of them.  On coinage depicted most often as a women astride a bull with a hoop of silk splaye dout above and over her.  Almost similiar to Europa in the way it is dipicted.  An association that stays even into the later Roman Republic period.

The association to leopards to me points more to Africa or Asia Minor as her place of origin.  Especially given that leopards are not a common European found creature.  Being astride a horse also points to a more Asia Minor type persona to me, a persona definately not assocaited to Artemis as she would be astride a Stag or Bull or on occasion a Ram or other large goat.

Myself I'd look to the mythology of the area that today encompasses modern Turkey and towards India.  There were many Greek states in that area.

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 09:52:28 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;40825
There's a couple of issue's here that have to be addressed.

Just because you have some Greek words does not mean it is a Greek god / goddess.  Greece had colonies through out the mediterrian basin and into Asia Minor.  Many a Greek word and usage is found today in those areas.  Not entirely different than saying it has to be a Roman god / goddess because they spoke latin.  TO assume your dealing with such simply because of a few words shows a lack of understanding on how the Greek influence spread and continue on into the Roman period of world power.

You speak of her being astride a horse.  That points to a number of potential areas.  Spain had a horse goddess.  Epona is another horse goddess found in celtic areas.  You have horse type goddess that are found in Asia Minor or into the area's north of the Black and Caspian seas.  Again all area's that have had direct interaction with Greek culture with the possible exception of Epona.

You've made an assumption of what a maiden goddess is based upon your own ideals not necessarily based upon cultural or historic records.  Especially given that many maiden goddesses are also described more so as pre-pubscent girls.  Artemis a prime example of a pre-pubscent girl when described in her role as Huntress or Agrotera and associated to the Olympian pantheon.

Hekate / Hecate another maiden goddess in early records as she relates to Anatolia.  Diana another maiden goddess in early records who losses that facet or reduced in influence in later records.  Yet thier maidenhood described and recorded differently for each of them in almost all facets.

You mention Macedonia which if was Artemis as someone suggested then she is not a maiden goddess in that capacity but Artemis Tauropolis and a blood goddess.   Also directly associated to Bulls and the sacrifice of them.  On coinage depicted most often as a women astride a bull with a hoop of silk splaye dout above and over her.  Almost similiar to Europa in the way it is dipicted.  An association that stays even into the later Roman Republic period.

The association to leopards to me points more to Africa or Asia Minor as her place of origin.  Especially given that leopards are not a common European found creature.  Being astride a horse also points to a more Asia Minor type persona to me, a persona definately not assocaited to Artemis as she would be astride a Stag or Bull or on occasion a Ram or other large goat.

Myself I'd look to the mythology of the area that today encompasses modern Turkey and towards India.  There were many Greek states in that area.

I've only been practicing for 2 years now, and I have much to learn. Most of my practice was revolved around ancient Egyptian influences, though I'm trying to broaden my horizons and work with Greek deities as well, as they've peaked my interest.

I thank you for pointing out my many issues. It was a dream, and I was going off based on my feelings within the dream and how I felt when I woke up. I'm a person of intuition. I didn't think of Artemis at all myself. I just don't understand how I was given a name of a Macedonian city when I have never in my life heard of it until then. I looked it up with no expectation to find answers.

Thank you for your insight. I'll check out those locations. x
- William Blake

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 11:15:43 pm »
Quote from: hourofthewitch;40832
I've only been practicing for 2 years now, and I have much to learn. Most of my practice was revolved around ancient Egyptian influences, though I'm trying to broaden my horizons and work with Greek deities as well, as they've peaked my interest.

I thank you for pointing out my many issues. It was a dream, and I was going off based on my feelings within the dream and how I felt when I woke up. I'm a person of intuition. I didn't think of Artemis at all myself. I just don't understand how I was given a name of a Macedonian city when I have never in my life heard of it until then. I looked it up with no expectation to find answers.

Thank you for your insight. I'll check out those locations. x

It's not so much you did something wrong as you have to be aware of history many times.  For instance you mention Egyptian as part of your pathway.  Yet if you read some histories they speak of Artemis yet are actually talking about Bast or Pahket because the Greeks equated them to Artemis.  So in that regard one can look to the Greek gods / goddesses and how they were seen in Egypt for instance and find traits of the Egyptian gods / goddess and how they recorded them beneath a foreign name.

Even place names can be misleading.  Today the temple of Pahket lies near Beni Hasan yet its called Spiro de Artemis or Grotto of Artemis when reading about it.  Yet it depends upon who the historian was many times as to how it is referenced or recorded.  That same sort of cross pollination occurs at Baubaustia and the various names it is recorded under.  Then you have to also consider that the name of the person enshrined there also changes.  Ubasti - Paschet - Bast - Bastet all reference the same goddess at the same locale.

For instance if you look to mummified cats where do you look?  Most will tell you to look to Bast and Baubaustia and the great burial ground there and the offerings that have been found.  Yet that is also only a half truth for similiar burial grounds are to be found at Beni Hasan and the temple of Pahket.  Yet Bast's is associated to the 2nd dynasty to about the 22nd.  Pahkets is more associated to the Middle Kingdom period.

Even Macedonia is tricky for what is the small area the Greeks called Macedonia is simply a part of the area the Romans called Macedonia.  So again you have to be aware of how the borders changed depending upon who was in power.  Macedonia at the time of Phillip is quite different than when his son Alexander was in power, even more so when you look to the legend of Medea and Jason and thier association to Macedonia.

That and at times a dream is just a dream whether it be a fantasy or nightmare.

Edited to add:

Just one to point out though that all this is my own thoughs and ideas.  Since it was a dream ultimately it is up to you to decide what the symbology of it indicated and / or means.  For analysis of the dream you may want to look at each facet ie A horse, a goddess, etc and what each means to you in that aspect not specifically as a manifested apperance of something.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:22:17 pm by monsnoleedra »

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 11:45:32 pm »
Hello everyone! I was on ECauldron for a few months now (that sounds so bad, haha.), but I never quite got the courage or reason to join myself. I have learned so much about spirituality on this site, though I now have a question that I need help answering. My name is Amber, by the way. Wonderful to meet you all. :)

I copied this from my Tumblr earlier, here you go. Thank you so much in advance:

I had a really strange dream around 4am last night. It was completely lucid - I can remember myself choosing to ask questions and I was in complete control. I've been researching this for an hour now to no avail. Help?

I'm about 70% sure I know who it is now. I meditated on it and "looked through" my dream. I noted androgynous features. Very youthful. I dont know how I could have missed this. Heh. Perhaps this person wasn't female after all.
- William Blake

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 01:44:06 am »
Quote from: hourofthewitch;40836
I'm about 70% sure I know who it is now. I meditated on it and "looked through" my dream. I noted androgynous features. Very youthful. I dont know how I could have missed this. Heh. Perhaps this person wasn't female after all.

Check this link:

http://www.thevillagexpress.com/cyprusvillage/profile/210

Apparently Lania is a village in Cyprus, that is said to take its name by Dionysos' daughter. Androgynus features also would make me to think of a  youthful Dionysos (the leopard is sacred to him too).... or by association, as someone else suggested, Ariadne.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:36 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;40845
Check this link:

Apparently Lania is a village in Cyprus, that is said to take its name by Dionysos' daughter. Androgynus features also would make me to think of a  youthful Dionysos (the leopard is sacred to him too).... or by association, as someone else suggested, Ariadne.

I knew I was onto something. I didn't wake up with those words in my head for nothing. I haven't quite figured out if it is Dionysos or Ariadne, but I think I might have to meditate on it. Thank you. So much. x
- William Blake

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 03:35:19 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;40845
Check this link:

A lot of this is also applicable to Adonis.  He to is connected to Cyprus, especially in his role as the ever youthful vegetation god and his connection of beauty.  Even in the idea of being androgynus in apperance and his religion belonging to women or girls.

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 03:47:11 am »
Quote from: hourofthewitch;40850
I knew I was onto something. I didn't wake up with those words in my head for nothing. I haven't quite figured out if it is Dionysos or Ariadne, but I think I might have to meditate on it. Thank you. So much. x

You are welcome. I suppose you might even count in that Dionysos's cult,  was widespread in Macedonia, hence a possible link to Veria too. I would research on archeological sites and temples/cults in those two areas if i was in your shoes. You never know what might come from it, but it would at least give you something to work on.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

hourofthewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 04:06:17 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;40854
A lot of this is also applicable to Adonis.  He to is connected to Cyprus, especially in his role as the ever youthful vegetation god and his connection of beauty.  Even in the idea of being androgynus in apperance and his religion belonging to women or girls.

Ah, I wasn't aware of his connection to Cyprus. Goodness, I'm going in all directions now!
- William Blake

Tags: