collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Prostitution in Roman Religion  (Read 1918 times)

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Prostitution in Roman Religion
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:06:28 am »
Someone (a Christian homosexual) posted this on another (non-Pagan) board as the real reason behind why homosexuality is frowned upon in Christianity.   Unfortunately, I don't know much about Roman religion to support or refute this.  I was under the impression that prostitution took place to honor certain goddesses of fertility, such as Venus - that it was a sacred act in  preparation for marriage.

But... I don't know.  

So was prostitution in temples really that widespread, and for profit?  Links to reference sites would be appreciated.

Paul spoke of homosexuality. Paul was trying to hold a struggling organization together across hundreds of miles using only hand carried letters. Many of the Roman religions employed temple prostitutes, both male and female, as a means of supporting the temple. A man could making an offering to that particular god through his money and semen. This was the practice that Paul spoke against. He was trying to prevent his followers from reverting to the old religions.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 08:09:18 am by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Prostitution in Roman Religion
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 08:27:54 am »
Quote from: SeaShine;40573
So was prostitution in temples really that widespread, and for profit?  Links to reference sites would be appreciated.

I'm not an expert on Roman religion, but I think the claim is way too broad.  While there might have been some temples to certain Gods who had "temple prostitutes", I can't see why there would be at the temples of many Gods. Temple funding usually came from taxes and the patronage of the wealthy, as I understand what I've read -- not from prostitution.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 08:34:25 am »
Someone (a Christian homosexual) posted this on another (non-Pagan) board as the real reason behind why homosexuality is frowned upon in Christianity.   Unfortunately, I don't know much about Roman religion to support or refute this.  I was under the impression that prostitution took place to honor certain goddesses of fertility, such as Venus - that it was a sacred act in  preparation for marriage.

But... I don't know.  

Probably not.

Specifically the ban against homosexuality in Paul's major target audience had been around for over 1,000 years.  

The fight over Hellenization, of which homosexuality & temple prostitution are markers, had been going on over 600 years.

One could argue about the scope of temple prostitution and whether it was prostitution in a way that modern's would label it.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 10:57:27 am »

But... I don't know.  

I don't know if it was heavily tied to any god / goddess or temple but I do know it was so prolific that their were abt 25 - 30 known sex coins.  Each coin depicted a given sexual act and the person was believed to have selected the coin to indicate their prefered sexual act.  Any one who has watched coins on eBay will have seen them come around and around.  Not only Roman coins but Chinese sex coins as well so it was far more world wide than many probably would believe.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:43:43 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;40605
I don't know if it was heavily tied to any god / goddess or temple but I do know it was so prolific that their were abt 25 - 30 known sex coins.  Each coin depicted a given sexual act and the person was believed to have selected the coin to indicate their prefered sexual act.  Any one who has watched coins on eBay will have seen them come around and around.  Not only Roman coins but Chinese sex coins as well so it was far more world wide than many probably would believe.

Scholars in the relevant fields are not nearly so certain about the purpose of spintriae.

(See also this article at The Straight Dope - not itself a scholarly source, but it gives a pretty good overview.)
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 05:10:13 am »

I haven't come across this in my research into Roman religion so far. Certainly not at Vesta's temples. Her priestesses were virgins who would be put to death if they had sex. As for other temples, I don't know.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 06:04:58 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;40754
Scholars in the relevant fields are not nearly so certain about the purpose of spintriae.

(See also this article at The Straight Dope - not itself a scholarly source, but it gives a pretty good overview.)

Oh I agree there is much speculation as to what purpose they served.  I've seen everything from price listing to position of choice.  Heck read one speculation that they were like their Chinese counterparts in that they were given to newly weds to show recommended or available positions to keep the marriage "Happy".

My main point was that sex and dipictions of sexual acts was not as taboo as many would led one to believe.  That and prostitution was pretty common through out the empire.  Today you can still find graffiti (sp) indicating houses of choice in sea ports and even price listings.

With such a social outlook on it it seem's logical that it might be covered beneath some facets of the religious community.  It's like one theme presented at times is the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus and the likelyhood that it had a prostitution connection to it.  Though in Roman times it would be the temple of Diana of Ephesos.

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 03:14:33 am »
Thanks for the input everyone.  I haven't done any digging since, but if I find anything, I'll be sure to post it.

And thank you both (monsnoleedra & FireFlye) for the info on the spintriae - very interesting.

Quote from: monsnoleedra;40759
Oh I agree there is much speculation as to what purpose they served.  I've seen everything from price listing to position of choice.  Heck read one speculation that they were like their Chinese counterparts in that they were given to newly weds to show recommended or available positions to keep the marriage "Happy".

My main point was that sex and dipictions of sexual acts was not as taboo as many would led one to believe.  That and prostitution was pretty common through out the empire.  Today you can still find graffiti (sp) indicating houses of choice in sea ports and even price listings.

With such a social outlook on it it seem's logical that it might be covered beneath some facets of the religious community.  It's like one theme presented at times is the Temple of Artemis in Ephesus and the likelyhood that it had a prostitution connection to it.  Though in Roman times it would be the temple of Diana of Ephesos.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 03:16:14 am by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Tags: