Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for some answers  (Read 1294 times)

Tryphena

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Looking for some answers
« on: January 27, 2012, 07:45:26 pm »
I understand the difference so much better now on Traditional Wicca vs Eclectic Wicca since taking my Wicca 101 class and I have a few questions.

First how does one go about finding a traditional coven environment or does the environment find you?

And second if that is not possible how does a solitary Wiccan make sure not to stray off the path or learn some bad behaviors from less then reputable sources?

And how can one tell the difference as a novice? With so many new authors getting published all the time how can you make sure to read the and practice the right ones?  

Thanks,
Tryph

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Looking for some answers
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 08:39:07 am »
Quote from: Tryphena;40500
I understand the difference so much better now on Traditional Wicca vs Eclectic Wicca since taking my Wicca 101 class and I have a few questions.

Jenett has quite a bit of helpful info on her web site. For example: How do I know what to believe? Critical thinking and Pagan books and the entire information for seekers section.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:52:14 am »
First how does one go about finding a traditional coven environment or does the environment find you?

Check the Witchvox listings for your state. I'd also suggest asking the staff at any local Pagan shop in your area (listings for those can also be found at Witchvox).

If nothing turns up on Witchvox, try Google. Facebook may also be a resource... I know the mother coven to my coven has a Facebook group for members, though I'm not on that (I have... issues w/Facebook these days).

Another resource could be Meetup.com. I know of a few pagan meetups in my area, though I haven't been out to them. I always keep meaning to. If something like that's available for you, it's a great way to get out and network within the local community.

Basically, leave no stone unturned. I met my coven by joining a Star Trek fanclub. One of the other members of the Trek group was Wiccan, found out I was Wiccan, and took me to meet her coven. Groups ARE out there, but many times they don't openly advertise, so you'll have to persevere, but I'm sure you'll turn something up eventually.

Karen

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:14:06 am »

(Thanks, Randall, for the pointers!)

My usual advice - much expanded in the pages Randall linked to - is to start by looking fairly thoroughly at what's physically near you. You may or may not find what you're looking for, but it's a practical way to start. If nothing else, you'll probably get a better sense of what you really care about.

It's also good to remember that we're talking about a long spectrum of choices: at one end, you have the larger, well-known BTW traditions. At the other end, individual, purely eclectic practices.

There's a lot of stuff in the middle: I'm a priestess and initiate in a small tradition that has structure, and a degree system, and our own set of Mysteries we focus on - but that isn't a BTW tradition either. Turns out to be a really good fit for me, and has been for over 10 years now. But if I'd been fixated on finding a Gardnerian coven, or whatever, I might have passed it by.

So a good basic guideline is: "Do you want to become more like these people" (especially in the ways they're like each other?) Traditions - and individual covens - shape people in certain ways, or encourage particular kinds of growth, so if you meet a group, and you like the things they share, that's a good time to look further. If, on the other hand, their approach rubs you wrong, or just doesn't work for you, that's a good sign to keep looking.

I also encourage people to be flexible: many people, even in very structured trads, have personal practices that don't fit the work of the tradition. That's generally just fine (though there may be some limitations during initial training). You don't need a coven to fit *every one* of your spiritual needs, just to be compatible with them and what you do on your own.

And second if that is not possible how does a solitary Wiccan make sure not to stray off the path or learn some bad behaviors from less then reputable sources?

And how can one tell the difference as a novice? With so many new authors getting published all the time how can you make sure to read the and practice the right ones?  

How do you learn to cook, without learning the wrong things? How do you do you learn to fall in love and have a relationship that lasts? How do you learn to drive a car?

The thing with a lot of learning is that it's not a smooth path: we learn some stuff, we try it out, sometimes it goes badly. And then, if we want to keep learning, we try again.

There are some things in Craft practice that can get you into significant trouble - well, like driving a car can. But there's also a bunch of practical precautions that will limit that happening, like really understanding what you're doing before you try something new, taking appropriate basic physical precautions, learning how to learn from other people's mistakes or poor decisions.

There are covens out there that prefer people not have done tons on their own (so they don't have to unlearn things), but generally, if you can learn things *and* be open to learning a new way to do things, it's usually fine.

What's really hard for a group to deal with is someone who insists their way of doing things is the only way they're going to use - often, that's just not compatible with group work. (Think of it like someone who's in a chorus, insisting on singing in a vocal style that works with early music, when the rest of the group is doing a song from a musical. It's not that either one's bad or fundamentally wrong - but they don't work well together!)

But there's lots of ways to handle that - and honestly, simply being open to learning why a group does things the way they do, being willing to go back and cover material you think you already know with a fresh eye, etc. does a lot to solve that one.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tryphena

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 12:14:13 pm »
Thanks all!

I will read through those pages and get some more information. I am just so excited to be finally on the path again that I seem a little eager (and I am). I have signed up on withchvox sometime back and I check it regularly. I also signed up to Meetup and have invites to to simi-local groups both are about 45 min from me. I am planning on going to both of them to see what they are about. I hope that's an ok thing to do :).

I understand that I will make mistakes along the way I already have back when I began as a teenager. Some of the books I read and "tried" were not good for wicca but I didn't at the time; know any better. I am just nervous about doing the same, but I have no problem being open to new ideas or new ways (which can be part of the problem) I just see so many don't read this author or that author only too see the same authors books listed in must read lists for beginners. It seems hard to know as a beginner which is correct or right.

Thanks,
Tryph

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 02:07:26 pm »
Quote from: Tryphena;40621
Thanks all!
I just see so many don't read this author or that author only too see the same authors books listed in must read lists for beginners. It seems hard to know as a beginner which is correct or right.

Think of it this way: when someone says "Hey, you should really see this movie! It'll change your life!" - how do you decide whether it's worth your time or energy? Or someone who says "Hey, this is how you should raise your kids?"

Same skills apply here.

Take a look at what you know about the person making the recommendation. Are they interested in the same things you are? (Or at least enough of an overlap?)

Do they explain *why* you might like the thing? (I do, in my own recommendations, as clearly as I can - not just "This is a great book" but "I recommend this book because I like how clearly it discusses X and Y." or "I like a lot of this book, but I'm not crazy about this chapter.")

Is the source they recommend clear about their own biases/preferences? About where their materials come from? Are they trying to manipulate you emotionally, or do they lay out options, and explain the choices as clearly as possible?

And in general, I encourage people to be suspicious of any book that says witchcraft is easy, simple, or quick to learn. (There are certainly easy pieces, but the whole thing? No. It's a complicated subject - like cooking, and having a relationship, and rewiring your brain, all wrapped into one.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: