Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: beginning my path  (Read 1784 times)

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
beginning my path
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:07:05 pm »
Hello,

As I have stated in my introduction video, I have for the most part self-identified as Agnostic Theistic, ie I believe in that their is a divine force and that humans can not properly understand the divine, thus all religions can be right. As one might expect I was not religious at all. This did not stop me looking and exploring other religions.

However recently, I am starting to doubt that thought. I feel some sort of calling towards the Celtic Polytheism. I am still on the fence towards this calling. I have the fear this could just be a passing thing.

first: I have this other fear of not knowing much, as I know little on the Celtic faith and practices. So if someone could link me to sites with good resources, or mention resources that might be helpful for me.

second:  I am at a college, and as such I am forbidden from burning any sort of candles or incense. So how to handle this, is welcomed.

Third: This is a big step for me, as such there is a good bit of nervousness about embarking on this path. It is more of nervousness as I never thought or cared much about the nature of the divine till now so there is a bit of fear as I have not done something like this.  

so any comments, resources and assistance for my three questions/concerns is welcomed and appreciated.

sincerely,

-herkles

Figment99

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
Re: beginning my path
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:59:00 pm »
Quote from: herkles;40332
Hello,

As I have stated in my introduction video, I have for the most part self-identified as Agnostic Theistic, ie I believe in that their is a divine force and that humans can not properly understand the divine, thus all religions can be right. As one might expect I was not religious at all. This did not stop me looking and exploring other religions.

However recently, I am starting to doubt that thought. I feel some sort of calling towards the Celtic Polytheism. I am still on the fence towards this calling. I have the fear this could just be a passing thing.

first: I have this other fear of not knowing much, as I know little on the Celtic faith and practices. So if someone could link me to sites with good resources, or mention resources that might be helpful for me.

second:  I am at a college, and as such I am forbidden from burning any sort of candles or incense. So how to handle this, is welcomed.

Third: This is a big step for me, as such there is a good bit of nervousness about embarking on this path. It is more of nervousness as I never thought or cared much about the nature of the divine till now so there is a bit of fear as I have not done something like this.  

so any comments, resources and assistance for my three questions/concerns is welcomed and appreciated.

sincerely,

-herkles

My first advice is to start slow. You are interested in learning about a path, that doesn't mean you need to get the candles, incense, statuary, or the whole nine yards just yet.

I would start with learning about the Celtic deities, legends, and culture. There are several different cultures and areas you can focus on; such as Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Gaulish, etc.

This link shows you just some of the more major deities within Celtic Paganism: http://www.sacredfire.net/gods.html

This website gives a very quick overview of the many, many different Celtic deities.  http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celtic/deities.html

After reading and learning about the gods and their legends you feel a connection with one or more of them, then you can find a way to honor them. You don't have to use all the props. Meditation can be a great way to connect or just getting outside. Nature is a big part of Celtic spirituality.

And don't be so nervous, you are just learning and reading. That doesn't mean you are choosing a religion at all. You can read about many different religions without following them, just look at it like that. Take your time and enjoy the stories, myths, and legends. If they connect with you, great! If not, you at least got to know a bit about history, myth, and culture of the Celtic people. :)
Our life is what our thoughts make it. Marcus Aurelius

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <~~ A Pagan Egroup. Feel free to join.

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:02:31 pm »
Quote from: Figment99;40375
My first advice is to start slow. You are interested in learning about a path, that doesn't mean you need to get the candles, incense, statuary, or the whole nine yards just yet.

I would start with learning about the Celtic deities, legends, and culture. There are several different cultures and areas you can focus on; such as Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Gaulish, etc.

This link shows you just some of the more major deities within Celtic Paganism: http://www.sacredfire.net/gods.html

This website gives a very quick overview of the many, many different Celtic deities.  http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celtic/deities.html

After reading and learning about the gods and their legends you feel a connection with one or more of them, then you can find a way to honor them. You don't have to use all the props. Meditation can be a great way to connect or just getting outside. Nature is a big part of Celtic spirituality.

And don't be so nervous, you are just learning and reading. That doesn't mean you are choosing a religion at all. You can read about many different religions without following them, just look at it like that. Take your time and enjoy the stories, myths, and legends. If they connect with you, great! If not, you at least got to know a bit about history, myth, and culture of the Celtic people. :)

Thank you for the advice and the links. I have checked my college's library and they do seem to have some books on celtic mythology and folklore so that should help me learn more about this path that I feel drawn to. :) thanks for your comment and advice.

sincerely,

-herkles

Figment99

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Pagan
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 02:30:49 pm »
Quote from: herkles;40445
Thank you for the advice and the links. I have checked my college's library and they do seem to have some books on celtic mythology and folklore so that should help me learn more about this path that I feel drawn to. :) thanks for your comment and advice.

sincerely,

-herkles

No problem, I'm glad I could help.

Also here is a link to sacred text if you haven't been there yet. It has many of the myth and books you can find in libraries. This is the Celtic page, but the site covers many different cultures and peoples.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/index.htm
Our life is what our thoughts make it. Marcus Aurelius

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <~~ A Pagan Egroup. Feel free to join.

herkles

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:22:55 pm »
Quote from: Figment99;40638
No problem, I'm glad I could help.

Also here is a link to sacred text if you haven't been there yet. It has many of the myth and books you can find in libraries. This is the Celtic page, but the site covers many different cultures and peoples.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/index.htm

thanks for the link that should prove helpful.

I do have another question though, about the triple deities that exist in mythology. The two that I have read the most about was Brigid and the Morrigan. In particular it seems that Morrigan is a complex goddess. I have read that she is made up of three other goddesses, Nemien, Badb and Macha, however some other texts replace Macha with Morrigan herself.

I would welcome assistance in understanding the concept of triple deity as from what I have gathered they are not a unique concept and many pantheons have them so assistance is welcome :)

sincerely,

-herkles

Tags: