+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    herkles is on a distinguished road herkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25 Apr 2014 @ 10:13 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Irish reconstructionist polytheist
    Posts
    87

    beginning my path

    Hello,

    As I have stated in my introduction video, I have for the most part self-identified as Agnostic Theistic, ie I believe in that their is a divine force and that humans can not properly understand the divine, thus all religions can be right. As one might expect I was not religious at all. This did not stop me looking and exploring other religions.

    However recently, I am starting to doubt that thought. I feel some sort of calling towards the Celtic Polytheism. I am still on the fence towards this calling. I have the fear this could just be a passing thing.

    first: I have this other fear of not knowing much, as I know little on the Celtic faith and practices. So if someone could link me to sites with good resources, or mention resources that might be helpful for me.

    second: I am at a college, and as such I am forbidden from burning any sort of candles or incense. So how to handle this, is welcomed.

    Third: This is a big step for me, as such there is a good bit of nervousness about embarking on this path. It is more of nervousness as I never thought or cared much about the nature of the divine till now so there is a bit of fear as I have not done something like this.

    so any comments, resources and assistance for my three questions/concerns is welcomed and appreciated.

    sincerely,

    -herkles

  2. #2
    Apprentice Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Figment99 is on a distinguished road Figment99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    8 Aug 2015 @ 07:28 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Iowa
    Religion
    Pagan, Hethenistic Hellenist plus...
    Posts
    39

    Re: beginning my path

    Quote Originally Posted by herkles View Post
    Hello,

    As I have stated in my introduction video, I have for the most part self-identified as Agnostic Theistic, ie I believe in that their is a divine force and that humans can not properly understand the divine, thus all religions can be right. As one might expect I was not religious at all. This did not stop me looking and exploring other religions.

    However recently, I am starting to doubt that thought. I feel some sort of calling towards the Celtic Polytheism. I am still on the fence towards this calling. I have the fear this could just be a passing thing.

    first: I have this other fear of not knowing much, as I know little on the Celtic faith and practices. So if someone could link me to sites with good resources, or mention resources that might be helpful for me.

    second: I am at a college, and as such I am forbidden from burning any sort of candles or incense. So how to handle this, is welcomed.

    Third: This is a big step for me, as such there is a good bit of nervousness about embarking on this path. It is more of nervousness as I never thought or cared much about the nature of the divine till now so there is a bit of fear as I have not done something like this.

    so any comments, resources and assistance for my three questions/concerns is welcomed and appreciated.

    sincerely,

    -herkles
    My first advice is to start slow. You are interested in learning about a path, that doesn't mean you need to get the candles, incense, statuary, or the whole nine yards just yet.

    I would start with learning about the Celtic deities, legends, and culture. There are several different cultures and areas you can focus on; such as Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Gaulish, etc.

    This link shows you just some of the more major deities within Celtic Paganism: http://www.sacredfire.net/gods.html

    This website gives a very quick overview of the many, many different Celtic deities. http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celtic/deities.html

    After reading and learning about the gods and their legends you feel a connection with one or more of them, then you can find a way to honor them. You don't have to use all the props. Meditation can be a great way to connect or just getting outside. Nature is a big part of Celtic spirituality.

    And don't be so nervous, you are just learning and reading. That doesn't mean you are choosing a religion at all. You can read about many different religions without following them, just look at it like that. Take your time and enjoy the stories, myths, and legends. If they connect with you, great! If not, you at least got to know a bit about history, myth, and culture of the Celtic people.
    Be content with what you are, and wish not change; nor dread your last day, nor long for it. - Marcus Aurelius

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <~~ A Pagan Egroup. Feel free to join.

  3. #3
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    herkles is on a distinguished road herkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25 Apr 2014 @ 10:13 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Irish reconstructionist polytheist
    Posts
    87

    Re: beginning my path

    Quote Originally Posted by Figment99 View Post
    My first advice is to start slow. You are interested in learning about a path, that doesn't mean you need to get the candles, incense, statuary, or the whole nine yards just yet.

    I would start with learning about the Celtic deities, legends, and culture. There are several different cultures and areas you can focus on; such as Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Gaulish, etc.

    This link shows you just some of the more major deities within Celtic Paganism: http://www.sacredfire.net/gods.html

    This website gives a very quick overview of the many, many different Celtic deities. http://www.joellessacredgrove.com/Celtic/deities.html

    After reading and learning about the gods and their legends you feel a connection with one or more of them, then you can find a way to honor them. You don't have to use all the props. Meditation can be a great way to connect or just getting outside. Nature is a big part of Celtic spirituality.

    And don't be so nervous, you are just learning and reading. That doesn't mean you are choosing a religion at all. You can read about many different religions without following them, just look at it like that. Take your time and enjoy the stories, myths, and legends. If they connect with you, great! If not, you at least got to know a bit about history, myth, and culture of the Celtic people.
    Thank you for the advice and the links. I have checked my college's library and they do seem to have some books on celtic mythology and folklore so that should help me learn more about this path that I feel drawn to. thanks for your comment and advice.

    sincerely,

    -herkles

  4. #4
    Apprentice Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Figment99 is on a distinguished road Figment99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    8 Aug 2015 @ 07:28 PM
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Iowa
    Religion
    Pagan, Hethenistic Hellenist plus...
    Posts
    39

    Re: beginning my path

    Quote Originally Posted by herkles View Post
    Thank you for the advice and the links. I have checked my college's library and they do seem to have some books on celtic mythology and folklore so that should help me learn more about this path that I feel drawn to. thanks for your comment and advice.

    sincerely,

    -herkles
    No problem, I'm glad I could help.

    Also here is a link to sacred text if you haven't been there yet. It has many of the myth and books you can find in libraries. This is the Celtic page, but the site covers many different cultures and peoples.

    http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/index.htm
    Be content with what you are, and wish not change; nor dread your last day, nor long for it. - Marcus Aurelius

    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheInnerSanctuary/ <~~ A Pagan Egroup. Feel free to join.

  5. #5
    Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    herkles is on a distinguished road herkles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25 Apr 2014 @ 10:13 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Irish reconstructionist polytheist
    Posts
    87

    Re: beginning my path

    Quote Originally Posted by Figment99 View Post
    No problem, I'm glad I could help.

    Also here is a link to sacred text if you haven't been there yet. It has many of the myth and books you can find in libraries. This is the Celtic page, but the site covers many different cultures and peoples.

    http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/index.htm
    thanks for the link that should prove helpful.

    I do have another question though, about the triple deities that exist in mythology. The two that I have read the most about was Brigid and the Morrigan. In particular it seems that Morrigan is a complex goddess. I have read that she is made up of three other goddesses, Nemien, Badb and Macha, however some other texts replace Macha with Morrigan herself.

    I would welcome assistance in understanding the concept of triple deity as from what I have gathered they are not a unique concept and many pantheons have them so assistance is welcome

    sincerely,

    -herkles

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. TWS: Elements Path
    By Fier in forum Stories of the Spirit SIG
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 17 Jan 2012, 08:19 PM
  2. TWS: Inner Path - Chapter 1
    By Waldhexe in forum Stories of the Spirit SIG
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17 Jan 2012, 03:09 PM
  3. Is there a path that follows Gaia?
    By Nadja in forum Paganism For Beginners
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15 Jan 2012, 06:00 PM
  4. trying to define my path so far
    By addy in forum Miscellaneous Religious Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3 Dec 2011, 09:23 AM
  5. Finding my Path
    By Itsthek in forum Paganism For Beginners
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 18 Sep 2011, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts