Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: New to non-Christian religions, would appreciate Book suggestions :3  (Read 2746 times)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
So, I'm a newbie to non-religious spirituality and alternative paths, magic, and other related stuff. I grew up Christian and still hold many of its tenets near and dear to my heart, but I also know that mainstream Christianity (i grew up in a non denominational church) is no longer for me. I'm a lover of books, so I definitely would appreciate some suggestions on books to help me further along this new path, books on blended paths, spirituality in general, spirits and the spirit world, magic and witchcraft, and any other suggestions you can think of please and thank you :)
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: New to non-Christian religions, would appreciate Book suggestions :3
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 12:06:47 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;40243
So, I'm a newbie to non-religious spirituality and alternative paths, magic, and other related stuff. I grew up Christian and still hold many of its tenets near and dear to my heart, but I also know that mainstream Christianity (i grew up in a non denominational church) is no longer for me. I'm a lover of books, so I definitely would appreciate some suggestions on books to help me further along this new path, books on blended paths, spirituality in general, spirits and the spirit world, magic and witchcraft, and any other suggestions you can think of please and thank you :)

It really depends on what path you're interested in exploring right now.  Do you have a particular pantheon in mind, or are there certain things you're looking for in the path you want to learn about?

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 05:35:51 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;40315
It really depends on what path you're interested in exploring right now.  Do you have a particular pantheon in mind, or are there certain things you're looking for in the path you want to learn about?

Well, I'm looking for one that can coexist with my Christian beliefs. Recently I've done research on goddesses and/or "the Divine Feminine" in Judaism and the evidence for them in Christianity (very promising results so far :D) so there's that. Otherwise I'm an animal and plant person, I enjoy singing and worship, and I pray and am learning magic and about the spirit world and stuff. I'm also a night owl, if that helps any. I'm not against the idea of multiple deities, because I see them simply as multiple manifestations of God across cultures. To me they're all still God, just by different names and different aspects of Him. However I'd rather not potentially offend Him, hence the research into the Divine Feminine in Christianity, because honestly I still love my Christian roots. And I believe in Jesus' divinity and resurrection. Though I suppose that's a bit contradictory in a sort of way, considering I also hold some belief in reincarnation lol I'm a mutt in body and mind XD

Smokebender

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 08:41:36 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;40335
Well, I'm looking for one that can coexist with my Christian beliefs. Recently I've done research on goddesses and/or "the Divine Feminine" in Judaism and the evidence for them in Christianity (very promising results so far :D) so there's that. Otherwise I'm an animal and plant person, I enjoy singing and worship, and I pray and am learning magic and about the spirit world and stuff. I'm also a night owl, if that helps any. I'm not against the idea of multiple deities, because I see them simply as multiple manifestations of God across cultures. To me they're all still God, just by different names and different aspects of Him. However I'd rather not potentially offend Him, hence the research into the Divine Feminine in Christianity, because honestly I still love my Christian roots. And I believe in Jesus' divinity and resurrection. Though I suppose that's a bit contradictory in a sort of way, considering I also hold some belief in reincarnation lol I'm a mutt in body and mind XD

You're dilemma was the same as mine in a sense. I tend to push back when told how I MUST do something that should be my free will. Chaos fit the bill for me. I can only describe it as the way of no way. You mold a style that fits you instead of being molded to fit the style. So far the best book I have found is Peter Carrol's Liber Null. It will take you from beginner to advanced but is not something you can digest in one reading.
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:24 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;40335

Sounds like Christian Wicca or Christo-Paganism might be of interest to you. I haven't read these books, but I've heard good things about them:

Christo-Paganism: An Inclusive Path by Joyce and River Higginbotham
The Path of a Christian Witch by Adelina St. Clair (I've heard this one criticized for being too "personal", plus it's published by "that publisher", but it might be useful.)

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 09:50:25 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;40368
Sounds like Christian Wicca or Christo-Paganism might be of interest to you. I haven't read these books, but I've heard good things about them:

Christo-Paganism: An Inclusive Path by Joyce and River Higginbotham
The Path of a Christian Witch by Adelina St. Clair (I've heard this one criticized for being too "personal", plus it's published by "that publisher", but it might be useful.)

I actually own Path of a Christian Witch, by Ms St. Clair. I liked it, but I would agree that it is quite personal. In my opinion I thought it was meant to be personal lol I was looking into Christo-Paganism, haven't decided to buy it yet.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:53:02 pm »
Quote from: Smokebender;40362
You're dilemma was the same as mine in a sense. I tend to push back when told how I MUST do something that should be my free will. Chaos fit the bill for me. I can only describe it as the way of no way. You mold a style that fits you instead of being molded to fit the style. So far the best book I have found is Peter Carrol's Liber Null. It will take you from beginner to advanced but is not something you can digest in one reading.

It's ok, I'm a reader since birth. My mom and grandmother practically eat books for breakfast XD I'm willing to smash through a book in multiple readings, I do it all the time lol

Smokebender

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 01:02:45 pm »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;40372
It's ok, I'm a reader since birth. My mom and grandmother practically eat books for breakfast XD I'm willing to smash through a book in multiple readings, I do it all the time lol

I can identify with that Sister. I have approximately 8 gigs of .pdf books on my pc now. I have 2 in the mens library, another in the truck for just in case and roughly 30 paperbacks/hardbacks I haven't gotten to yet. If I were suddenly struck blind I'd do my best to have braille mastered in about 15 minutes. We readers are seldom guilty of not reading the instructions. :D:
For human folly is without limit though society does much to
disguise its darker side. Cynicism, sadness or laughter is the
magician\'s privilege. -  Peter Carrol / Liber Null

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 09:39:56 pm »
Quote from: Smokebender;40441
I can identify with that Sister. I have approximately 8 gigs of .pdf books on my pc now. I have 2 in the mens library, another in the truck for just in case and roughly 30 paperbacks/hardbacks I haven't gotten to yet. If I were suddenly struck blind I'd do my best to have braille mastered in about 15 minutes. We readers are seldom guilty of not reading the instructions. :D:

Lmao that's funny XD I'm right there with you lol I've got at least six novels i haven't touched yet, four series i need to get the next books in, at least one book always in my purse, one under the couch, four unfinished on my kindle and like a dozen nonfiction i haven't read yet too lol and i always want more X3

Tags: