"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 24Jan12 through30Jan12  (Read 1723 times)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 24Jan12 through30Jan12
« on: January 24, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »
Welcome to the FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week thread for 24Jan12 through 30Jan12!

Topic: Sacrifice

Background reading: Sacrifice; What I give in sacrifice

Questions:

What do you give in sacrifice? Why?

What have you gained from sacrifice? Do you think it’s worth it?

What do you refuse to sacrifice? Do you think this is reasonable? What do you think that costs you?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Shawnee

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: FlameKeeping: Discussion of the Week - 24Jan12 through30Jan12
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;40104

To be honest I can't say I've sacrificed anything. I've got one foot out over the cliff but haven't been able to completely open my arms and leap off. Realistically I know I must sacrifice myself because only then will I feel the Divine and find myself.

I do think giving myself over will be worth it once I can get out of my head and into my soul.

What do you refuse to sacrifice? Do you think this is reasonable? What do you think that costs you?

Well for now it looks like I'm refusing to give up control. Letting irrational fear of being out of control is costing me the chance to experience all that life has to offer.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:44:10 pm »

Questions:

I'm not sure. I think I give a lot of things... time... money... sometimes my health. I consider taking care of myself as a priority in order to make myself useful for the work I'm called to do. This requires me to take time out of my schedule to go see my therapist. That also requires money. And sometimes it requires I sacrifice my comfort in order to progress.

Peace of mind. I feel more stable. More grounded and connected. I feel my perspectives have gotten wider and better. I feel like I'm on the verge of something. So yes, I feel it is worth it. Every time I've been led down the rabbit hole, I've come out with more than I've lost. You just have to close your eyes and jump. Eventually, you wake up on the other side better off.

I really don't know. I probably wouldn't sacrifice my relationship with my partner. But I can't imagine why the divine would ask it of me, or why it would become necessary (unless our relationship somehow managed to change radically). I can't say that anything is necessarily off limits. Things and times change, and if I need to strip something away to grow further, I would at least consider my options before discounting the possibility of doing said action. If that makes sense.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:47:50 pm »
Welcome to the FlameKeeping Discussion of the Week thread for 24Jan12 through 30Jan12!

Daily, it is difficult to say as most everything I give that is regarded as a sacrifice by others, I view as an investment. But that's at work. In my personal life, I give up my desires and that feels like sacrifice. Sometimes it isn't until years pass and I turn around and realize what I have sacrificed.

With work, I don't think about what I have gained individually. I'm a teacher like many here, and sacrificing for kiddos very much feels like helping to ensure a more compassionate future. When I give up my desires, my mind becomes free. I can contemplate more deeply without desire. And for those sacrifices I do not realize until much later, I try to hope something good will or has come of it somewhere.

Edited to add the answer to: "Do you think it is worth it?" I haven't a clue really. I play the long game.

I was one of those who could not say "no" until I realized that saying "yes" to every little thing precluded my ability to say "yes" to larger more encompassing things. So I refuse to sacrifice my larger vision. I modify it, but I think it is reasonable to allow myself to hold on to the bigger picture. The larger framework allows for myriad types of sacrifices and work to get done. The costs are those things of which I am not immediately aware that are sacrificed. Those things that I turn around and see 10 years down the line. "Wow. I seem to have sacrificed my father's sense of security in my financial well being by choosing this career."

I sometimes attempt to ameliorate the costs. Sometimes by trickery. I will save up and pretend I am always flush when my father is around so that he doesn't get worried. He's old now and these little tricks work, or he allows them to work. Either way, we get pizza.

Interesting questions! I have been meaning to come here more but I read a recent mention of Flamekeeping in another thread and a few extra hours appeared, so I am continuing reading at the website & thought I'd drop by for this one. What a generous and thoughtful thing you've provided. Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:53:41 pm by Annie Roonie »

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:27:41 am »

Questions:

I give what is requested, but not always in a timely fashion.  

This seems like a cop-out answer, but I cannot think of another way to describe it.  I've not drawn lines in the sand because I've never been asked for something I was ultimately unwilling to give.  Perhaps that's strange?

Growth and knowledge, both of myself and outside of myself.  I think it is worth it, but I can understand why others might disagree.  Reasonable sacrifice for one person is crossing a line for others.

I...haven't thought about it, to be honest.  I wouldn't sacrifice my relationships with my in-family, but I cannot know what else I'd refuse until I am asked.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: