Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Imbolc  (Read 6415 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Imbolc
« on: January 21, 2012, 05:29:11 pm »
Just wondering how people are planning to celebrate Imbolc......and looking for ideas to "borrow".  :ange:

For the first time, my family is inviting a couple of friends to join us on the Saturday before Imbolc.  We'll bake soda bread and short-bread cookies, make crosses and brats, and then have a nice dinner of poundies and omelettes.  If anyone wants me to, I'll talk about the Irish traditions and their connections to Brighid.

Privately, I'll put my brats out and also observe the "holiday from turning" from sundown on January 31 to sundown on February 1 and try to do some reading and meditating.  

What are you doing (if you celebrate Imbolc)?

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Imbolc
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:10:27 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;39801

~ Aster

I uh... don't know yet. Tying into the Flamekeeping topic on perfectionism, I feel that if I don't go all out, I don't do it at all. And yet, I need to break through that.

There's also the added issue that much of what I read on how to celebrate Imbolc is very much a spring/almost spring festival, and we'll be buried until snow here until late March. So I'm going to aim for more of a Brighid focus... I just need to figure out how.

/hangs around as well to steal ideas :ninja:
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »

I intend to bake: probably cupcakes, because I love cupcakes and I want to try the Guinness cupcake recipe I found. I'm also toying with making something with hazelnuts in it (UPG alert: I see Brighid as the keeper/tender of the well of knowledge. Thus with the hazelnuts.) Also possibly making some sort of apple-based homemade alcohol, though I don't have any recipes at the moment. (Apples are more UPG.)

I also intend to craft. Beading, beadweaving, crochet for sure- I also want to try a new project idea involving fabric and acrylic paint. I will put my brati out in my windowbox for Brighid to bless.

I may or may not attempt a vigil from sundown to sundown- it depends on how well I'm feeling. If I am up at any time after sundown, though, I will probably be in MUX in my garden, if anyone wants to join me.

I also want to write, as it's something that's important to me and I've been neglecting it.

Apparently it's going to be a busy day!
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 02:14:04 am »

I should start thinking about that, huh? ;)

I tend to celebrate the holiday over the course of three days, from sundown on the 31st to sundown on the 2nd. This way I can take my time and not feel quite so frazzled by work and what I want to do.

I'll put out my collection of crosses and brati on the night of the 31st and bring them back inside at sundown on the 1st. I'll probably do some reading and meditation as I can throughout each night and day, but I'll definitely work in some divination time on the 1st or 2nd (it doesn't *quite* match up to the groundhog "prediction" custom of the next day, but heck, why not?).

Unfortunately since I have to do work, I have to do a lot of driving, and thus, "wheel turning", so I won't be able to participate in that tradition as such. However, I would like to make a nice dinner of omelettes, soda bread or skillet scone "farls", and some hashbrowns (sort of poundies?) and set a place for Bride, and perhaps stand at my door and do a (modified) traditional welcoming of Brighid into my home as I carry the brati and crosses in on the 1st ("Who is this?/It is Brighid. She is welcome, She is welcome, She is welcome" or "Open your eyes, and let Brighid enter. She is welcome, She is welcome, She is welcome.")
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 04:27:03 am »
Just wondering how people are planning to celebrate Imbolc......and looking for ideas to "borrow".

Huh.  I have had this whole idea leading up to Imbolc, but perhaps I do need to give some thought to what i will be doing on the day itself.  I will get back to this when I have plans (if I make them earlier than spur of the moment)
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 10:27:41 am »

I'll be doing my annual ritual candle making next weekend.  Which reminds me...I need to buy more wicking.

Brina

nbdy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 03:39:37 pm »
Just wondering how people are planning to celebrate Imbolc......and looking for ideas to "borrow".  :ange:

For the first time, my family is inviting a couple of friends to join us on the Saturday before Imbolc.  We'll bake soda bread and short-bread cookies, make crosses and brats, and then have a nice dinner of poundies and omelettes.  If anyone wants me to, I'll talk about the Irish traditions and their connections to Brighid.

Privately, I'll put my brats out and also observe the "holiday from turning" from sundown on January 31 to sundown on February 1 and try to do some reading and meditating.  

~ Aster

I fished the web for ideas for our family last week and decided to incorporate the following: A white table/altar cloth left outside the night before, white candles, vanilla, a poem about creativity/rebirth, and a milk dish. We will begin spring cleaning the following day.

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 09:23:21 pm »

~ Aster

For ritual, I'm going up to the local ADF Grove. And it'll be my first ritual with them. Privately, I'd like to put out a brat and some milk. And I need to make time to sit down with my journal and sort some things out.

February 2 is also my 34th birthday, so there's that all tied up in there. It also would have been my mother's 61st birthday. I probably will not go out to the cemetery (I have... issues with cemeteries. And even though I lost my mother just over 3 years ago, that wound is still VERY raw.) but I will be doing some sort of thing honoring her. Haven't decided what yet. I might just listen to some Jimi Hendrix and do a few whip-its.

No, I'm sure I'll do something more ceremonial than that. ;)

Karen

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:21 pm »

~ Aster

Only found out the name of it two years ago, but have used this time to bake and sew since I can remember with my grandma. Started making the candle scraps into new wholes some years ago. Not so much odd anymore as kind of soothing to realize that whatever may have been lost down the line, there is still an opportunity to cherish what's left and to be amazed by those with less fragmented traditions than my own.

This year I've collected brass bowls, some mullein and many many pine cones to use in candle making for wicks. This'll be the first time I've used the mullein for wicking, so I am curious to see how it will go. The pine cones worked very well in the past. I've collected my own candle stubs and my mother's and have for the first time some store bought fresh wax to use. Fancy! I don't think I'd be able to fill the bowls without it this year. I'll be sewing bags for some of them to deliver to mom and friends.

Not knowing what a brati is and very little about Brighid, I expect to be reading about them while things are cooling and settling. :)

I hope you have a good time celebrating!

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 11:00:57 am »

~ Aster

I do my annual spring clean the end of January.  For Imbolc I make soda bread and Tend Flame on the 1st/2nd.  I'll also be knitting squares for the hospital round the corner.  They'll then piece them together with what others make to make afghans for the local cancer clinic.  It's nothing too grand or fancy, but it's just a personal little thing I like to do...

The Grumble

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Kyoht.com
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:12:14 am »

Where I currently live, we have a looooong growing season, and spring usually starts in February.  So it's not just the first stirrings, it's nearly here!

I plan on doing my usual thing of lighting a candle and putting it in my cauldron (and putting my cauldron somewhere prominent in the house) to symbolize life in the womb; or life arising from the darkness of the earth.  I'm sure I'll meditate in front of it for a while with my rattle.  I've set myself on the task of learning to cook this year, so maybe I'll make some home made bread with my hubby and use it as an offering to the earth.  Oh!  Our new batch of beer will be ready then too. So beer and bread will be given, along with some smudging outside.  And of course I will have my altar going (candles lit, incense burning, offerings given to my spirit allies; but I do that nearly daily!).  I love the spring here (the weather is so perfect, except for the tornadoes), so I am totally all for welcoming it coming - dancing will probably be involved!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:16:13 am by The Grumble »

SkylarB

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://fromthephoenixflames.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:33:35 pm »
Just wondering how people are planning to celebrate Imbolc......and looking for ideas to "borrow".  :ange:  What are you doing (if you celebrate Imbolc)?

I'm also going to see what others are doing and possibly borrow a few things! :whis:  Today, I cleaned and re-decorated my altar .. taking down the Yule theme for a Imbolc theme of light colors.

This will be my first Imbolc that I've ever officially celebrated, but being in the Northeast, it's still freezing and even the first stirrings of spring are very far away. I'd LOVE to make a Bridget Cross, so I'm going to look that up and see if I can get the supplies in time. I'll also do some spring cleaning, decluttering, house smudging, and a ritual. Just haven't planned out exactly what my ritual will be. I should have my new journal by then, so I'll write in that. And I will see what else I can pull together. My husband is always asking me to cook more. I hate cooking, but I WANT to like it, so I'm thinking if I make special meals for all Sabbats and Esbats, it will help me get into the mood to cook, and I know we'll have special and appropriate meals for each celebration! :)
Blessed be,
SkylarB  
My Wiccan Blog - From The Phoenix Flames

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 02:36:58 pm »

~ Aster

My coven's Imbolg Sabbat is the 27th, and then for my personal practice I'll visit Brighid's shrine at Faughart, burn last years crosóg at sunset, and put this years in its place. Imbolg always sneaks up on me!
Semper Fidelis

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:27:57 pm »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;39819

There's also the added issue that much of what I read on how to celebrate Imbolc is very much a spring/almost spring festival, and we'll be buried until snow here until late March.

My daffodils started poking up last week, and some of my roses have new growth sprouting already! I can hardly believe it, it seems too early. I'll definitely be celebrating the first stirrings of spring, I'm just not sure exactly what I'll be doing yet.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 02:57:01 am »
Quote from: SkylarB;40136

I'd LOVE to make a Bridget Cross, so I'm going to look that up and see if I can get the supplies in time.

The easiest material I've found for weaving Brighid's crosses is pipe cleaners.  They're very easy to work with and they come in all sorts of colors and textures, including a metallic/sparkly material that's a lot of fun.  You can use the standard size they come in if you want a large cross or cut them in half for a small cross.  And short lengths of pipe cleaner can be used to wrap the ends of the arms and to make a hanger hook to go on the back.

Another easy material is corn husks.  You can find them in grocery stores with good "ethnic aisles."  (I think they're used in Mexican cooking to wrap tamales.)  If you use corn husks, it works best to soak them first so they're soft and pliable for the weaving.  They they'll dry into their new shapes.

Wire is another great material for crosses, especially sterling or copper beading wire.  I have 3 crosses in different sizes done that way, and I think they're really beautiful.  Be careful if you haven't worked with wire much before.  If you use a wire that is a very small gauge, it can break fairly easily when you bend it.

This year, I'm hoping to try doing a wall hanging using ribbon to make the cross.  (Here's an example of a quilted wall hanging that is very similar to what I'm planning, except I'm not quilting mine.  Another option for that is to use narrower ribbon and weave them to create the center square of the cross.  I'm not fantastic at crafts, so I'll probably just do the simpler version. :o  )

Here's a website that shows diagrams for making Brighid's crosses, in case you (or anyone else) needs them.  Googling will bring up additional sites with similar instructions.

Also, here's an article that shows some of the different styles of Brighid's crosses.

Have fun weaving your crosses!  :)

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tags: