Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Newbie with questions and an opinion.  (Read 2140 times)

Faeblvr

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Newbie with questions and an opinion.
« on: January 21, 2012, 02:27:02 pm »
Hi all, as the title says I'm new to the forums.  I have some questions in regards to books and such.  I'm currently reading Celtic Myths and Legends by T.W. Rolleston, found it in a used book store and grabbed it up.  I would like to know if anyone has read it and what your opinions are on it?  Also I have referenced the CR faq reading list and am finding that alot of the books are hard to find.  Wondering if anyone has a good website that I might find them on at a reasonable price? Lastly is in regards to Celtic music, anyone know of any good artists out there?  Thank you in advance for your help

Tracie:)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie with questions and an opinion.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 02:41:56 pm »
Quote from: Faeblvr;39779
Hi all, as the title says I'm new to the forums.  I have some questions in regards to books and such.  I'm currently reading Celtic Myths and Legends by T.W. Rolleston, found it in a used book store and grabbed it up.  I would like to know if anyone has read it and what your opinions are on it?  Also I have referenced the CR faq reading list and am finding that alot of the books are hard to find.  Wondering if anyone has a good website that I might find them on at a reasonable price? Lastly is in regards to Celtic music, anyone know of any good artists out there?  Thank you in advance for your help

Tracie:)
The CR FAQ list is a great reading list. Yes a lot of those books are hard to find but luckily there is Amazon.com, you can find about almost all those books on there. I have several of my books off that list on Amazon. I think I got a book for a dollar in perfect condition. Also you should check Half-Priced books as well. I also found some of my books there. In regards to Celtic music, what kind of Celtic music do you like? I mean there's Welsh music, Scottish, Irish, Breton. I listen to a group called Plethyn, a Welsh group.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Faeblvr

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:52:19 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;39783
The CR FAQ list is a great reading list. Yes a lot of those books are hard to find but luckily there is Amazon.com, you can find about almost all those books on there. I have several of my books off that list on Amazon. I think I got a book for a dollar in perfect condition. Also you should check Half-Priced books as well. I also found some of my books there. In regards to Celtic music, what kind of Celtic music do you like? I mean there's Welsh music, Scottish, Irish, Breton. I listen to a group called Plethyn, a Welsh group.

Oh sorry should I have specified which kind. Irish Celtic, and thanks :)

Tracie

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:55:30 pm »
Quote from: Faeblvr;39785

Tracie

Check out the free Irish & Celtic Music Podcast put out by Marc Gunn. You'll also want to subscribe to his Celtic Music Magazine newsletter while you're there, and perhaps pay for a subscription to his Song Henge service, which gives you free legal music downloads monthly (basically a digital sampler CD of songs that indy artists have provided to Marc for distribution).

Karen

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »
Quote from: Faeblvr;39785

Tracie

My personal favorite is Altan
Running a close second is a Scots group - Capercaillie

Both of them do Gaelic and English lyrics (Irish and Scots Gaelic respectively) as well as instrumentals

Altan is the more traditional group, using instruments that have been around at least 100 years

Capercaillie is a bit more modern, using electric guitar and bass as well as electronic keyboards

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:46:49 am »
Quote from: Faeblvr;39779
I have referenced the CR faq reading list and am finding that alot of the books are hard to find.  Wondering if anyone has a good website that I might find them on at a reasonable price?

Over the last 10 or so years, I've amassed a personal library of over 200 books (I've actually lost count but hope to wrestle them back under control as soon as I upgrade my Library Thing account  :D: ) on Celtic mythology, history, religion, archaeology, art, etc., including a large number of the books on the CR FAQ reading list.  

I bought most of them used through Amazon and AbeBooks.  The vast majority of these used books are in perfectly fine condition -- no internal marking, no cover damage, etc.  And many were priced under $1.00 (plus shipping).   A few are not that great, but were the only available copies of books that have been out of print for ages.  Sometimes you have to be patient and keep checking back to find a particular book at a good price.  AbeBooks has a feature that allows you to set up a "wants" list, so it will notify you when the book you want has been listed.  Very helpful.

If you're looking through reading lists, you might find the online book, Land, Sea & Sky interesting, both for its own excellent content and for its reading list.  The list is a bit outdated and overlaps with the CR FAQ list, but it's worth taking a look.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 07:55:57 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;43861

If you're looking through reading lists, you might find the online book, Land, Sea & Sky interesting,

It's a shame they don't have that available as a PDF so I can put it on my Kindle. Though I suppose I could cut and paste the text into a Word doc and make my own PDF for my personal use. It's just easier to read stuff when I can kick back on the couch with the Kindle than sitting in front of the PC all night.

Karen

Tags: