Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 04:12:49 pm]

"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Author Topic: Just Getting My Feet Wet...  (Read 2361 times)

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Just Getting My Feet Wet...
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:01:25 pm »
I've been struggling for awhile with my beliefs. I bounced between monotheist, pantheist, panentheist, deist, and agnostic. Slowly, I began moving towards polytheism. Not soft, not hard, just in the middle for now.

Egypt has always been an interest of mine, and when I first stumbled upon Paganism (July 2010), I was looking into Kemeticism. Through much searching and research, once again I am brought back to Kemeticism. I've been researching Bast a lot because She just interests me. I feel at this time in my life, I need a Protector.

Where do I go from here? I've been reading through this forum's SIG and the older archived forum's SIG. I've stumbled upon the book on Google Books "Eternal Egypt" by Richard Reidy. The morning ritual (fully viewable on Google Books) is so intricate and confusing. I don't know how to change from researching to spiritually seeking, IYKWIM. Also, it seems specific to certain Gods (Amun-Ra, Horus).

Just unsure at this point how to proceed...
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Just Getting My Feet Wet...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:53:45 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;39755
Where do I go from here? I've been reading through this forum's SIG and the older archived forum's SIG. I've stumbled upon the book on Google Books "Eternal Egypt" by Richard Reidy. The morning ritual (fully viewable on Google Books) is so intricate and confusing. I don't know how to change from researching to spiritually seeking, IYKWIM. Also, it seems specific to certain Gods (Amun-Ra, Horus).

I do a daily rite to Sekhmet every morning. (She is my patron.) The Morning Ritual, as shown in that book, both is intricate, daunting, and seems specific to Amun-Ra. Instead of utilizing that opening sequence, I went with the General Rite Honoring Sekhmet as found on page 240. This is a general rite and can be changed to include whatever deity you so desire. All you have to do is find two epithets that fit for Bast and you have yourself a general rite.

However, do you think that doing a daily rite at this point (still starting) is a good idea? Or do you just want to jump in already? :)

Quote from: Elizabeth

I think you'll find this is true of most pagans at one point or another, not just at the start of the path. It can get very confusing, especially in Kemeticism, since there is so much information out there. And then, you don't really know what information you should follow and what should be ignored. There's also different types of Kemeticism: Kemetic Orthodoxy, Reconstruction, Revival, Tameran Wicca, Eclecticism... Where to go from here, right?

Personally, I would start doing research on all forms of Kemeticism that you can get your hands on. If it's something that you want to pursue, then you need to at least try and figure out a basis in your practice. I would also continue to do research on the gods (not just Bast), creation myths, and festivals of ancient Egyptian practice. From there, you should at least have a working knowledge of where you may want to go from there.

If not, you can always ask for help again. We like to help here. :)
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 02:14:28 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;39769
I do a daily rite to Sekhmet every morning. (She is my patron.) The Morning Ritual, as shown in that book, both is intricate, daunting, and seems specific to Amun-Ra. Instead of utilizing that opening sequence, I went with the General Rite Honoring Sekhmet as found on page 240. This is a general rite and can be changed to include whatever deity you so desire. All you have to do is find two epithets that fit for Bast and you have yourself a general rite.

However, do you think that doing a daily rite at this point (still starting) is a good idea? Or do you just want to jump in already? :)

Page 240 isn't available online, and my library doesn't have it, even through inter-state loan (I just noticed we live in the same state, too. I think I remember seeing you on the older forums post about the June 1st tornado.) I'd like to purchase it sometime, though.

At this point, I'm stuck between research and a get-up-and-do-it-already mindset. I don't know anywhere near enough to feel adequate doing something, but I'm also getting fidgety. I'm kind of looking for more of a spiritual connection, a beyond the page feeling. I know that this feels differently and comes at different times for everybody, though, so I know that just because I start doing things doesn't mean I'll feel an instant spark.

I think you'll find this is true of most pagans at one point or another, not just at the start of the path. It can get very confusing, especially in Kemeticism, since there is so much information out there. And then, you don't really know what information you should follow and what should be ignored. There's also different types of Kemeticism: Kemetic Orthodoxy, Reconstruction, Revival, Tameran Wicca, Eclecticism... Where to go from here, right?

Personally, I would start doing research on all forms of Kemeticism that you can get your hands on. If it's something that you want to pursue, then you need to at least try and figure out a basis in your practice. I would also continue to do research on the gods (not just Bast), creation myths, and festivals of ancient Egyptian practice. From there, you should at least have a working knowledge of where you may want to go from there.

If not, you can always ask for help again. We like to help here. :)

I've been researching the different types and Reconstructionist seems the way to go for me. I wonder if you (or others) have any resources (book, websites) that can get me started on the different gods, creation myths, and festivals? I've done basic research on all, but I feel I haven't even skimmed the surface. I'm especially interested   in creation myths and how the gods all tie in, if that makes sense.

Thanks, I appreciate it :)
“I would like to see anyone, prophet, king or God, convince a thousand cats to do the same thing at the same time.” - Neil Gaiman

Shefyt

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:24:50 pm »

Hi, Elizabeth! If you want a place to start, it can be as simple as lighting a candle, maybe some incense as well, pouring some cool water, and saying something like, "Bast, this is for You. I want to get to know You better." Then sit and listen. Or talk. Or sing, or dance, or do devotional reading, whatever you're moved to do. The involved, traditional rituals can be powerful and highly rewarding, and they may be something that you're called to do at some point, but the heart of everything is the relationship and the time spent with the God(s).

Richard Wilkinson's The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt is a great reference book on the Gods, and if I recall it probably touches on the creation myths too.

Bast is a wonderful protector. I wish you much joy in learning more about Her. ^_^

-Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

Helmsman_of_Inepu

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 08:45:58 pm »
I've stumbled upon the book on Google Books "Eternal Egypt" by Richard Reidy. The morning ritual (fully viewable on Google Books) is so intricate and confusing. I don't know how to change from researching to spiritually seeking, IYKWIM. Also, it seems specific to certain Gods (Amun-Ra, Horus).

The big thing about Eternal Egypt is that it is two books combined, and you probably want to read the 2nd part first. Starting on page 187 if you can find it. The book is great for finding the "whys" of doing different actions and offerings.  

You can also buy a kindle copy for $5 on Amazon, and you might be able to download a free reader for kindle files to run on a pc. If that's searchable, that might be a big advantage, because the book doesn't have an index.

He's got simpler daily rituals in the 2nd part of the book. You could use those as the backbone to rituals for any of the gods.

He's also said that he has specific rituals that they've done to other gods besides the Sekhmet, Sutekh, and Djehuty ones. If someone asked him nicely, he might post the Bast one somewhere.

Also, as Shefyt suggests, simpler prayer is good too.

The Kemetic Interfaith Network forum is also worth taking a look at.  

There are also a number of Kemetics who write blogs, and some of them are worth taking a look at. A lot of us link to each other, so you can start following the links to others and see what they're doing.

Temple of the Cosmos by Jeremy Naydler is also a book that has a lot of interesting ideas, although it's not specifically about doing Kemetic religion.

And like SatSekhem says, if you think of any specific questions, just ask!
Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Elizabeth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 06:41:40 am »
Quote from: Shefyt;39809
Hi, Elizabeth! If you want a place to start, it can be as simple as lighting a candle, maybe some incense as well, pouring some cool water, and saying something like, "Bast, this is for You. I want to get to know You better." Then sit and listen. Or talk. Or sing, or dance, or do devotional reading, whatever you're moved to do. The involved, traditional rituals can be powerful and highly rewarding, and they may be something that you're called to do at some point, but the heart of everything is the relationship and the time spent with the God(s).

Richard Wilkinson's The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt is a great reference book on the Gods, and if I recall it probably touches on the creation myths too.

Bast is a wonderful protector. I wish you much joy in learning more about Her. ^_^

-Shefyt

That's a good idea. I wasn't sure if approaching the Egyptian gods/goddesses a little more informal than the usual ritual was okay.

I also thank you for the book recommendation that my library does carry :D:

Quote from: Helmsman_of_Inepu;39827
The big thing about Eternal Egypt is that it is two books combined, and you probably want to read the 2nd part first. Starting on page 187 if you can find it. The book is great for finding the "whys" of doing different actions and offerings.  

You can also buy a kindle copy for $5 on Amazon, and you might be able to download a free reader for kindle files to run on a pc. If that's searchable, that might be a big advantage, because the book doesn't have an index.

He's got simpler daily rituals in the 2nd part of the book. You could use those as the backbone to rituals for any of the gods.

He's also said that he has specific rituals that they've done to other gods besides the Sekhmet, Sutekh, and Djehuty ones. If someone asked him nicely, he might post the Bast one somewhere.

Also, as Shefyt suggests, simpler prayer is good too.

The Kemetic Interfaith Network forum is also worth taking a look at.  

There are also a number of Kemetics who write blogs, and some of them are worth taking a look at. A lot of us link to each other, so you can start following the links to others and see what they're doing.

Temple of the Cosmos by Jeremy Naydler is also a book that has a lot of interesting ideas, although it's not specifically about doing Kemetic religion.

And like SatSekhem says, if you think of any specific questions, just ask!

Thanks for this info! I haven't fully checked out the forum you linked, but I glanced at it and it seems like a good place to learn some more.

I actually just bought the $79 Kindle about a week ago, so when I have an extra $5 I'll be picking up that book. I found a few free books for Kindle having to do with Egyptian culture and myths, so I guess I'll start there.

drekfletch

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheist. Hellenic-ish
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 09:59:10 pm »
Bast

Luckily, you posted in time to be referred to Sannion's post about the Boubastaia on the 28th.  It is the festival of Bast going down the River.

http://thehouseofvines.wordpress.com/2012/01/10/hail-bast/

Beyond that, I have no help to offer.
There is no inherent meaning to life.  Stop looking and give your life meaning.
------------------------------------------
Chapter 91 of The Order War by L.E.Modesitt jr.  If I could quote the entire thing I would.

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 10:08:58 pm »

FWIW, I have a link on my blog that sorta addresses this that you may or may not find useful: http://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/kemeticism/kemetic-starter-guide/

As others have stated, the best Reidy ritual for you to use would be in the second half of the book. It's very simple and easy to do. If the google preview no longer shows it, you could see if you can find a preview of it on Scribd. Even if you can't, you don't need a formal ritual to get to know the gods.

I always tell people to start off by talking to the gods. Sit down, calm your mind, and just listen to them. See what they say, see what feelings you get. What ideas come to you. And follow whatever it is you're pushed to do. offering them simple bread and water, lighting a candle for them, reading about them- all of these things brings the gods closer to you.

As Helms said, Naydler's "Temple of the Cosmos" is a good place to start for basic creation myths and mindsets of the ancient Egyptians. Understanding the mindset, imo, is very important to really 'grok' the religion as a whole. Flipping through websites (keep in mind not all of them are accurate), forums, and FB groups is a good way to gather more information. I frequently search scribd for books and tidbits of info, FWIW.

As always, if you have questions, just ask :)

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:35:06 pm »

Have you seen this site on Bast:  http://www.per-bast.org/.  This  may help you learn more about Bast.  

Richard Reidy's book is often recommended here.  I second the recommendation for Naydler's book Temple of the Cosmos.  

You can worship Bast as formally or as informally as you like.  You could light a candle, or offer incense or give Her an offering of food or drink (which you normally eat afterwards).
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Bastemhet

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.perbastemhet.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;39777
At this point, I'm stuck between research and a get-up-and-do-it-already mindset. I don't know anywhere near enough to feel adequate doing something, but I'm also getting fidgety. I'm kind of looking for more of a spiritual connection, a beyond the page feeling. I know that this feels differently and comes at different times for everybody, though, so I know that just because I start doing things doesn't mean I'll feel an instant spark.

Like Shefyt suggested, you could take the middle road and offer bread, water, and/or incense and simply sit with the netjeru, or share your life with them.  In Kemet, there was no word for religion because belief in the gods and having a relationship with them was not separated from normal everyday life.  In my personal practice just the knowing that I belong to Bast and feeling reverence for her is enough most of the time.  If I feel any special urge to thank her, that's when I'll decide to pull out any formalized ritual.  However, a simple Thank You when I'm feeling blessed has been quite enough.  This may depend on which netjer you have a relationship with, or even that relationship itself- I've known a lot of other people to have a relationship with Her in which she has entirely different demands.

I was going to write in my blog about this phenomenon of wanting some kind of spiritual confirmation, or "spark" as you've called it, but having a new baby tends to consume all of my free time. :)  I think wanting to have a "religious/spiritual experience" is folly.  They can be intense and gratifying, but using this as a spiritual compass point will not really get you very far, since they are so few and far in between.  I've seen a lot of people tell their story of "how the (netjer) contacted them" in order to relive the experience and hopefully relight that fire again, but a lot of it has to do with being OK with not feeling much for a while, otherwise you'll end up having spiritual crises as regular as the comings and goings of the rainy season. ;)

Patience is key.  Especially for someone just starting out.  Not knowing what to expect is part of the learning experience.  I started with Kemeticism about 6 years ago and I still have tons to learn.  And now I will shush myself for fear of coming off as much too pedantic. :whis:

I've been researching the different types and Reconstructionist seems the way to go for me. I wonder if you (or others) have any resources (book, websites) that can get me started on the different gods, creation myths, and festivals? I've done basic research on all, but I feel I haven't even skimmed the surface. I'm especially interested   in creation myths and how the gods all tie in, if that makes sense.

perbast.org is the best recommendation for an online resource.  I also recommend the Naydler book.  I'm not sure what you mean by how they gods "tie in," but if you're looking for more of a general daily life point of view rather than separate, insular myths, I recommend "Daily Life of the Egyptian Gods."  Can't remember the authors right now but if you look at the link in this forum to books about myths it'll be in there, along with other helpful books to look into.  

Have you considered taking the House of Netjer beginner's course?  It's online and free, with no pressure to join.  The nice thing about it is that you can talk to actual people if you have questions, and the information is given to you in small, digestible chunks.

Bastemhet

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.perbastemhet.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »
Quote from: Elizabeth;39847
That's a good idea. I wasn't sure if approaching the Egyptian gods/goddesses a little more informal than the usual ritual was okay.

In antiquity the only people who we are sure did formal ritual was the priest caste and the Pharaoh himself.  Laypeople were not allowed within the confines of the temple.  There is some evidence of altars in homes, but as far as ritual goes, nothing has been found so far (to my knowledge, anyway) and that would be because none has been documented, considering over 90% of the population of Egypt was illiterate.  I have a rundown of an article on domestic religious practices here if you're interested.

Tags: