"Christ Is King" by Altair
[Today at 01:09:34 am]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Author Topic: "Your Path"  (Read 17418 times)

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
"Your Path"
« on: January 20, 2012, 12:03:09 pm »
This topic was on the the earlier forum and I thought I would bring it over, since I wanted to comment on it but couldn't.

So what is your path? What do your rituals (if any) consist of?

Right now, I consider myself as pagan. I am not particularly religious (I do not worship gods or a divine spirit). I simply believe that there is a common energy that flows throughout everything (pretty much animism). As humans, we can touch/interact with this energy by doing things we love or being around those we love. For me, music is a way to interact with this energy. I have played oboe since about 4th grade (I am now a senior in high school) and have wanted to major in music since 8th grade.

For rituals, I keep it fairly simple. Lighting candles, burning incense, taking cleansing baths, opening my chakras and general meditation. Eventually I would like to visualize a ritual space (for lack of a better term) that I can visit while meditating. I just need to keep working on visualization.

Well that's pretty much all I've come up with in the ~4 months I've been studying this path.

-Bluewave

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: "Your Path"
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 02:07:46 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;39587

I'm pretty sure I answered over there, but updates are always nice!

The tradition I practice is a small initiatory religious witchcraft tradition, founded in Minnesota about 15 years ago (and with roots in several other groups/paths in the area.)

My tradition's practice includes:
1) Rituals on the full moons and Sabbats (though we use a model of the wheel of the year that's about transformation, more than either agriculture or pure mythology.)

Our ritual method is a combination of structured (a specific set of things we do every time) and improvisational (many of the specific calls are done on the spot, though usually with some advance prep work to think about what we want to say). The full ritual set up takes 15-20 minutes, usually, and about 10 at the end to take everything down. Plus, of course, whatever one does in the "insert working here" portion.

(For that reason, combined with the cross-country move and the residual exhaustion issues from health stuff, that means I have been doing formal ritual less the last 2 years or so than I'd like, but am slowly gearing back up into it.)

2) a desire for personal (daily/weekly) practices, but a lot of variation in how that happens.

3) some stuff we do as part of training, and then many of us revisit. (I'm contemplating revisiting the elemental attunement process again.)

4) The tradition is polytheistic in practice (though personal beliefs vary: we've had everything from "all part of one creation" to a few people on the "aspects of life" side of things, to people like me, who really are ardent polytheists.) I primarily work with two deities in my personal practice, two for coven practice (this I need to revisit, now I've moved as I look at reestablishing group work), and two who have a particular importance in the tradition (who I mostly invite at specific rituals.)

Personal practice:
- I always have a small shrine set up, though I go through phases of actively doing anything with it on a regular basis (right now, I'm in a 'not' phase.)

- I paint my toenails deep blue as a devotion to M'Lady (my primary deity commitment). They've been deep blue pretty much constantly since something like 2003. My single longest-running religious practice.

I basically put a new layer on every week or two, and strip everything off every 6 weeks or so, usually just before a Sabbat or other more significant ritual. (But, um, after 8 years, sort of flexible about it.)

- I'm currently in the midst of a (lunar) month-long commitment of picking a song, and then writing about it (it's on my Dreamwidth/LiveJournal accounts: they're locked because I sometimes talk about stuff that I do not want out in search-engine land, but if you're reading this, I'm Jenett on both of them, and feel free to ask for accesss.)

I'm really enjoying those, and so are the people reading them, which is a lot of fun. I actually want to extend it through late October, as part of my larger goal of more music in this year, but I may pull back from doing daily ones after this month. (They're fun to write, but take about 45 minutes to do..)

- And finally, there's a whole bunch of stuff that is a part of my daily practice, but that I don't think about consciously any more, just like I don't really think about taking a shower, I just do. Centering, grounding, adjusting shielding, all that sort of stuff.

- Astral work (both in personal space, deity-related spaces, and tradition-related spaces) has been a part of my practice in the past: the health stuff threw major wrenches into it. I'm about ready to look at trying it again sometime later this spring, I think.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »

My path has evolved into my becoming a independent eclectic Vedic witch.

I have chosen to work independently from other people as I found that working within a coven can be a little too stifling for my liking (no offense to those of you who love being in a coven). Independently, I can work at my own pace, stop one day and start the next and/or decide not to do something at all once I've begun, if you get my gist.

I'm eclectic in the way that I use a plethora of things in my spells. I write my own spells which, to me, is half the fun. In those spells I can use anything from candles, crystals, incense, to you name it I can use it! At least that is my idea of eclectic which leads me to my next paragraph as I use mantras as well.

Vedic (Hindu) describes the pantheon I use, but my Patron is Ganesh, specifically, whom I honor every day. I also honor Lakshmi every day as I feel an extreme affinity for her, but there was no UPG with her like there was with Ganesh. When I write a spell I will, 99% of the time, use a God/dess in the Vedic pantheon and the 1%, none at all. I have a stack of cards that has a mantra and blessing for each Vedic God/dess, that I will incorporate as part of the spell. It was a fantastic find!

Every day I honor Ganesh and Lakshmi by lighting incense for them both. I have a statue of each of them on my permanent altar (I don't like calling it a shrine) that are only there as a visual aid as I talk to them both throughout the day, Ganesh more than Lakshmi (mainly because Ganesh talks back...most of the time). At least once a week I light their 'special' candles and recite their 108 names, individually of course. (Ganesh gets his recited, then Lakshmi. I will flip-flop who goes first so no one's feelings gets hurt :)) Right now I am studying up on Lakshmi because I am hoping that the more I honor her and show my devotion perhaps she will honor me with a UPG. Here's hoping...

Oh, and I'm a straight up witch. My idea of being a witch is that I see the divine in everything from our relationship with nature to our relationships with each other (Ganesh has taught me that). I don't think I truly saw or realized that until I had my UPG with Ganesh. I just used to see the divine in things around me, but aren't other people around us too. If we can see the divine in ourselves shouldn't we see the divine in other people too? It was like a 'duh' moment. I honestly hadn't thought abut it that way and didn't I feel stupid! Anyway, I'm rambling...
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

outlaw393

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:13 pm »
This topic was on the the earlier forum and I thought I would bring it over, since I wanted to comment on it but couldn't.

-Bluewave

I am Wiccan. I don't belong to any specific tradition. Well I suppose you could say I belong to my own tradition. :)

What do my rituals consist of? Well I won't get into specifics, since my religious practices are largely private. I cast a circle, like (most) Wiccans do. I light candles. I have an altar. I keep and write a Book of Shadows. I chant. I say prayers. I talk to The Goddess, and usually that's Gaia (The Greek Goddess of the Earth), but sometimes she can be from other pantheons too. Sometimes I work with the Norse pantheon, so if I do, I never change pantheons in circle. Sometimes I work with Freyja (Norse Goddess of Love and beauty, to name a couple).

I rarely work with the God, but if I do it's usually Odin since he's my Patron. Odin is the Norse God of poetry, death, war, magic, prophesy...to name a few.

I recently reverted to Wicca after a long spiritual struggle. I'm glad I returned. It was a long time coming. :)
Conformity is the death of individualism

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 10:48:49 am »
So what is your path?

I'm in a pretty conflicted place right now as I'm trying to pursue something very different than what I've been accustomed to over the past 8-9 years. That is, I'm entertaining the idea of committing myself to the Maya religion whereas having come from your typical European Wiccish fare. I've been reading and learning since last spring, and I'm nowhere near being able to decide yet, though. I do have a god-form that I'm drawn to mythologically, so I'm mostly just in a place of listening and absorbing. A spiritual SETI project, you might say, LOL.

My three major points of contention is reconciling Classic and Contemporary Maya beliefs and culture, reconciling my draw toward Celtic and Germanic imagery because that's what I was exposed to first, and reconciling the fact that I am a solitary practitioner when that defies the communal structure that forms the very basis of the path I'm trying to walk. I'm willing to accept that it might not work out in the end.

As for ritual, I don't really feel like I'm in a good place to do much of that legitimately yet, mostly due to the above lack of community and communal roles that typically need to be filled in order to have a successful ritual (lifelong dedicated shamans are also usually the ones to run rituals, so I am doubly unqualified to do much on my own in that worldview). I offer specific things and hope that they are received, and try to do a daily devotional to the act of creation, as is almost always alluded to in some form during every ritual and festival for modern Maya communities. I also meditate and am learning how to solidify my astral experience... interesting things are happening on that front as well, and I'm hoping that it can help me in my waking spiritual wanderings.

So in short... LOLDUNNO
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:51:37 am by Maps »

Castus

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Happy Science
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:41:15 am »

Cultor of the Religio Romana. As I am in casts, I cannot properly preform my daily rites, but they consist of giving offering to Vesta, Janus, and the household deities and propitiating them for protection of the home. As it is, I now do simply nightly prayers.
“Castus, meanwhile, goes straight for the bad theology like one of those creepy fish that swims up streams of pee.” — Darkhawk

“Believing in the Lord means you are connected to me no matter when you are poor, sick, or struggling in a relationship. I am always with you. I want you to believe that. The future is uncertain, and much suffering awaits. However, the mission of the believer is to live life doing their best, no matter what the circumstances.” — Ryuho Okawa

The Grumble

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.Kyoht.com
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:06:19 am »

I am an animist pagan, meaning I revere nature spirits and energy.  As an animist I feel everything has a life energy in it; I have been known to talk to rocks.  My animist feelings cover everything, man made and natural.  I talk to energy and it talks to me.  I have never found any other label that fits me other than just generic "pagan"... maybe "tree hugging dirt worshipper."  ;)  My path is one I have grown into over many years of searching, learning and growing (and falling on my face and then clawing my way back up again) and therefore is eclectic in nature.  I celebrate both the light and dark aspects of life.  I like balance.

I am also an atheist - I feel no connection to or believe in any deities (I do like certain deities from an aesthetic/symbolic point of view though). I don't believe in an afterlife other than our energy sticking around as a spirit, or dispersing into the universe to join other energy as something new is created.  

I love symbology, and so I make use of ritual objects and tools (most are "witchy" in nature). Typically I have a permanent shrine set up (though right now, because of space issues, it's in an abbreviated form) with symbols of the 4 directions, what season it is, something to represent Nature as a whole (I use a large, spiral horned sheep skull I was given as a gift years ago.  I like the whole "horned one" idea), symbols of my animal guides, incense, the rattle I made for ritual use, and an offering of some sort (Mostly for the guides and ancestors, but it is given to the earth afterwards.  My hubby and I home brew, so my spirits get a lot of beer and mead).  I typically have two candles for balance and my cauldron and broom are usually near by as well.  My home is full of wood, stones and bones.

My rituals are simple, mostly meditation or trance.  I sometimes do sympathetic-type magic if I feel I need it for peace of mind.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:10:59 am by The Grumble »

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 12:33:59 am »

Right now, I consider myself as pagan. I am not particularly religious (I do not worship gods or a divine spirit). I simply believe that there is a common energy that flows throughout everything (pretty much animism). As humans, we can touch/interact with this energy by doing things we love or being around those we love. For me, music is a way to interact with this energy. I have played oboe since about 4th grade (I am now a senior in high school) and have wanted to major in music since 8th grade.

For rituals, I keep it fairly simple. Lighting candles, burning incense, taking cleansing baths, opening my chakras and general meditation. Eventually I would like to visualize a ritual space (for lack of a better term) that I can visit while meditating. I just need to keep working on visualization.

Well that's pretty much all I've come up with in the ~4 months I've been studying this path.

-Bluewave
My path is that of a Brythonic Celtic Pagan, or Welsh Polytheist as I like to call it.

I honor the Welsh Pantheon of Deities, and especially my patron Amaethon! I mainly honor Arianrhod, Cerridwen, Don, and Gwiddion. But I do honor all of the Welsh deities in some shape and form.

I keep an altar to my deities and my ancestors and land spirits. I give offering about everyday. I always ask for guidance and strength from Amaethon. My rituals involve giving praise and asking for guidance and other things i might need to help me with this world.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Alienor

• View Profile
    • http://lavoixdalienor.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:18:22 pm »

-Bluewave

I usually use the term "pagan" to define myself, I'm an eclectic and polytheist pagan, a solitary one.

Witchcraft is one of my practices but this is something very rare. Meditation and chakra work are important in my daily life. I worship several gods and goddesses, and celebrate the cycles of nature. My home is my altar: I don't have only one but several altars and sacred spaces. Crystals are my favorites "tools".

I put it a point to always keep learning, research, experiment, etc.

SilverOak

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 10:36:50 pm »

-Bluewave

I follow a combination of Celtic Reconstructionism and Druidism. I call myself a Druid. The main Deities that I honor are Cernunnos, Rhiannon, Lugh and Brighid, and am a hard polytheist. The holidays I celebrate are Samhain, Imbolc, Beltane and Lughnasadh. I have an altar set up and I'm hoping one day to set up an outdoor shrine.

I use the Tarot, the Runes and the Ogham as divination tools. I also keep a grimoire and am constantly adding to it.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." -- Mahatma Gandhi

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 10:19:29 am »

I am a plain and simple heathen. I'm not a priest or a witch or a shaman, I am a content being a lay-heathen. I perform seasonal blóts, as well as blóts to honour other deities at need. In the mornings I pray Sigrdrifa's Prayer and I respectfully don my Mjölnir necklace. On thursdays I usually light a candle for Thor on his shrine.

Other than that I try to be the best person that I can be and to make my gods, friends, and family proud. Which of course does not always happen, but I try.

Also, I do really like hugging trees. :p

Iron Crow

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 12:42:10 am »

I am a follower of Chronos, though if asked flat out, I'll tell you that I follow the cult of Jailinus as a subtle reminder that my religion has no bearing on anything whatsoever. Typically my rituals consist of burning prayers on rice paper, lighting candles, talking to Chronos, and divining using my beloved lapis luzili pendulum.

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 01:05:00 am »

-Bluewave

Just thought I'd update on mine since I've been thinking of adding a sort of "ritual meditation" using the moon and the zodiac signs as a guide for what I should focus on. (Still working on that though). I also want to learn more about crystals and somehow work those into my meditation.

sephira

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 05:31:24 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;41937
Just thought I'd update on mine since I've been thinking of adding a sort of "ritual meditation" using the moon and the zodiac signs as a guide for what I should focus on. (Still working on that though). I also want to learn more about crystals and somehow work those into my meditation.

I've heard that crystals and stones can really enhance meditations. Unfortunately, I am unable to meditate, but I just wanted to wish you luck on the new aspect of your path.
"If it ain\'t fun, it ain\'t worth doing!"

nadkins733

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 11:48:25 pm »

-Bluewave

We have some stuff in common. I have the same thoughts you do with the whole animism deal. I've tried to make alters to certain gods and such but it just doesn't feel right to me. But like you said I also believe all things have some sort energy that connects us, most just don't realize it.

For rituals I like to do moon rituals, as the night feels more comfortable to me. I just have a basic alter with candles and little items that are special to me. I can't get too crazy, (I'm also a senior in high school) I still live with parents so they would get weirded  out. Lol

I'm still figuring out exactly what I am but for now I'll just call myself eclectic. I basically just make up my own rituals and such, whatever feels right.

Tags: