Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Looking for a celtic deck with celtic deities  (Read 3077 times)

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Looking for a celtic deck with celtic deities
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:52:46 am »
I'm looking for a deck with celtic deities because I want to draw daily cards and learn more about celtic deities that way.

(That method has worked well for me with other decks, the cards and the information in the guidebook give me some starting point for further research and my knowledge deepens everytime I draw the card. It's also a really good indication for me to know which deity is connected to things I experience at this moment in my life.)

The problem is I have trouble to find some. I'd love to have something like the Mythic Oracle (which is with Greek deities and heroes) for the celtic world, but I can't find anything like that. I've browsed aeclectic.net for celtic-themed decks, but there isn't what I'm looking for.

So I'm considering to settle on an alternative, like a celtic themed tarot deck, which contains celtic deities, but I'm not sure which one.

Anything someone can recommend for learning more about celtic deities and myths?

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Looking for a celtic deck with celtic deities
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 11:30:37 am »
Quote from: Waldhexe;39552
I'm looking for a deck with celtic deities because I want to draw daily cards and learn more about celtic deities that way.

(That method has worked well for me with other decks, the cards and the information in the guidebook give me some starting point for further research and my knowledge deepens everytime I draw the card. It's also a really good indication for me to know which deity is connected to things I experience at this moment in my life.)

The problem is I have trouble to find some. I'd love to have something like the Mythic Oracle (which is with Greek deities and heroes) for the celtic world, but I can't find anything like that. I've browsed aeclectic.net for celtic-themed decks, but there isn't what I'm looking for.

So I'm considering to settle on an alternative, like a celtic themed tarot deck, which contains celtic deities, but I'm not sure which one.

Anything someone can recommend for learning more about celtic deities and myths?

I went through something like this. I originally wanted something specifically "Irish", but in looking for one found that one or two deities or characters that represented a certain card were the wrong choice. Then decks that did had terrible artwork, almost too "cartoonish."

At the end of the day I thought that the the Celtic Tarot , by Courtney Davis&Helena Paterson (I'm sure you would have seen it on Aeclectic) came the closest. It combines deities&characters from various Celtic cultures, from Gaulish, Irish, Welsh, e.t.c, and the artwork is kind of Celtic Christian modeled off of pre-Christian archaeological finds. The deck isn't too elaborate, and just simple, and to the point which works for a lot of us with tarot. It also still follows the Western Esoteric Tarot model, so those used to the Golden Dawn Tarot, Rider Waite, or myself with Crowley's Thoth don't have to adapt too much. This is just my opinion though.
Semper Fidelis

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »

You might also check out the Celtic Wisdom Tarot deck by Caitlin Matthews.  The art style might or might not appeal to you (I like it), but many (most? all? I'm not sure) of the cards correspond to a mythic character, and the accompanying book gives a synopsis of the related story.  Review here.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 08:09:16 am »
Quote from: Micheál;39753
Then decks that did had terrible artwork, almost too "cartoonish."

Yeah, I've encountered those too.

At the end of the day I thought that the the Celtic Tarot , by Courtney Davis&Helena Paterson (I'm sure you would have seen it on Aeclectic) came the closest.

Yes, I've seen it. I'm not sure yet which one to buy, but hearing the opinion of others helps. There are so many decks, yet there isn't one just like what I was looking for so I have to make a compromise somewhere.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 08:18:26 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;39796
You might also check out the Celtic Wisdom Tarot deck by Caitlin Matthews.  The art style might or might not appeal to you (I like it), but many (most? all? I'm not sure) of the cards correspond to a mythic character, and the accompanying book gives a synopsis of the related story.  Review here.

Thanks for your recommendation. I really like the art style of that one, but wasn't sure how helpful the accompanying book is (as I'm not really looking for something for divination, but to get a better access to celtic myths by drawing a daily card and reading about the deity or hero/ine.) I might buy this one.

I also looked into Caitlin Matthew's new "celtic wisdom oracle", but I didn't like the artwork so much. It looked a bit pale to me, but that might just be on the screen. Has anyone tried out that one?

http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Wisdom-Oracle-Ancestral-Guidance/dp/1907486755/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327238173&sr=8-1

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 11:27:40 am »

Another deck that may or may not be of use is The Celtic Tarot by Julian De Burgh. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtic-2/

It focuses on Irish mythology and the book includes a story for each of the cards.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:42:55 am »
Quote from: Shadow;39863
Another deck that may or may not be of use is The Celtic Tarot by Julian De Burgh. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/celtic-2/

The artwork of this has also a nice look!

I've decided to try out Matthew's Celtic Wisdom Tarot, because I like the artwork best and I resonate well with some of her books.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations!

Tags: