+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journeyman Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Helmsman_of_Inepu is on a distinguished road Helmsman_of_Inepu's Avatar
    Last Online
    29 Jul 2013 @ 08:57 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic / Flamekeeping

Re: Traditional Offering Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhawk View Post
    Section titled 'Additions to daily temple offerings' contains:...
    Have you (or anyone else) seen any ancient references to offering blood to Sekhmet? I'm thinking of responding to the following:

I see it with a certain group of Wiccans who want to worship Sekhmet but refuse to allow blood, alcohol or weapons in Her sanctuary…..despite the fact that Alcohol is traditionally Her sacred libation and She is a war Goddess all about blood and weapons.
    Alcohol, sure. Though I have heard people UPG "She is still mad about the Red Beer thing, so don't give her alcohol."

Leaving aside the "don't do a ritual if you're menstruating" business, is there even the slightest hint of blood as an actual offering to Sekhmet?

To me, it sounds a bit like giving dung to Khepri. Because he's a dung beetle.
    Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
    ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
    FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Ab Khem mystic; Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Helmsman_of_Inepu View Post
    Have you (or anyone else) seen any ancient references to offering blood to Sekhmet?
    The only thing I've encountered is the notion that one should be extra-special-careful about blood around Sekhmet, lest Her bloodlust reawaken.

I doubt there would be any such resources; my understanding is that no animals were ever sacrificed in sanctuary area - a temple slaughterhouse was in the least sanctified portion of the temple grounds, and afterwards the plated meat was presented inside. (I think I saw someone making a passing reference to blood as taboo, perhaps suggesting something similar to kosher laws' exsanguination policies, but I have no idea what basis that person was using for that statement.)
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Aine Rayne is on a distinguished road Aine Rayne's Avatar
    Last Online
    4 Mar 2014 @ 05:55 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    beginner Kemetic

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhawk View Post
    so is it safe to assume that they would like toast?
    Last edited by SunflowerP; 4 Apr 2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: fixing quote code

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Ab Khem mystic; Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Aine Rayne View Post
    so is it safe to assume that they would like toast?
    I would say yes.
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree FriendsYour first GroupTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    SatSekhem is on a distinguished road SatSekhem's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2013 @ 06:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Recon-Slanted Kemetic; Solitary Voodooist

Quote Originally Posted by Helmsman_of_Inepu View Post
    Leaving aside the "don't do a ritual if you're menstruating" business, is there even the slightest hint of blood as an actual offering to Sekhmet?
    Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

I "give" blood to Sekhmet on a regular basis. No, I'm not talking about shoving a needle in my finger and dripping blood on her sacred space. I donate blood in her name. To me, it's the same as "giving" blood to her. I really don't like the negative associations with her because she really is a goddess of multiple facets.

So, I guess it really depends on your interpretation of what I do.
    Religious Blog
    Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Journeyman Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Helmsman_of_Inepu is on a distinguished road Helmsman_of_Inepu's Avatar
    Last Online
    29 Jul 2013 @ 08:57 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic / Flamekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by SatSekhem View Post
    I donate blood in her name.... So, I guess it really depends on your interpretation of what I do.
    I'd see that as a service related to her healing aspect. Seems like an excellent idea.
    Kemetic Reconaissance blog.
    ShrineBeautiful blog. Inspiring, enchanting sacred spaces.
    FlameKeeping- Open Source Spirituality!

Staff
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Words Mean Things; Kemetic God-Slave; FlameKeeper; Reluctant Mystic; Hmtadpmt
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Quote Originally Posted by SatSekhem View Post
    Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

I "give" blood to Sekhmet on a regular basis. No, I'm not talking about shoving a needle in my finger and dripping blood on her sacred space. I donate blood in her name. To me, it's the same as "giving" blood to her. I really don't like the negative associations with her because she really is a goddess of multiple facets.

So, I guess it really depends on your interpretation of what I do.
    I'm going to add to this by saying that (when it was an issue) Sekhmet didn't want me to worry about the "menstruation taboo". In fact, She was rather annoyed with me when I chose to follow it despite the fact that She told me not to.

This is UPG, of course. YMMV.
    Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
    Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
    "I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
    "...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree FriendsYour first GroupTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    SatSekhem is on a distinguished road SatSekhem's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2013 @ 06:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Recon-Slanted Kemetic; Solitary Voodooist

Quote Originally Posted by veggiewolf View Post
    I'm going to add to this by saying that (when it was an issue) Sekhmet didn't want me to worry about the "menstruation taboo". In fact, She was rather annoyed with me when I chose to follow it despite the fact that She told me not to.

This is UPG, of course. YMMV.
    I never had that issue with her, either. *shrug*
    Religious Blog
    Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2