Last Online
    6 Sep 2014 @ 08:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Shinto Blend

Traditional Offering Resources

Hey all,

Do any of you know of any good resources (print or online) that cite things that were traditionally offered in AE? I've seen a lot of generic stuff, but nothing that gets really 'deep' into what was offered regularly. So I was hoping that maybe someone here would know where I could look for more info.

Thanks!

-Devo

dA | FB | LJ | WP

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Ab Khem mystic; Etc.

Re: Traditional Offering Resources

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    Temple Calendars of Ancient Egypt has offering lists for daily and specific festival stuff for surviving temple knowledge. I can go through and dig up some comments on same when I'm not under the baby.
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    SatAset is on a distinguished road SatAset's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:18 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Orthodox, Northern Tradition, Orisha devotee

Hey all,

Do any of you know of any good resources (print or online) that cite things that were traditionally offered in AE? I've seen a lot of generic stuff, but nothing that gets really 'deep' into what was offered regularly. So I was hoping that maybe someone here would know where I could look for more info.

Thanks!

-Devo
    Ancient Gods Speak by Donald Redford has an article on offerings and lists a bunch of meats, vegetables etc for offerings that were used in temples. I'd also recommend the book Darkhawk mentioned.
    I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy. --SatAset

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class10000 Experience Points
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk has a reputation beyond repute Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Ab Khem mystic; Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhawk View Post
    Temple Calendars of Ancient Egypt has offering lists for daily and specific festival stuff for surviving temple knowledge. I can go through and dig up some comments on same when I'm not under the baby.
    I will just run through Medinet Habu because it's a) nearly complete and b) the one I opened to at random.

Section titled 'Additions to daily temple offerings' contains:
    bit-bread, both emmer and barley
    psn-bread
    sweet white bread
    white bread
    offering bread
    great bread
    dw cakes
    shtt bread
    idn cakes
    qw cakes of white bread
    ds-jars of beer
    bit-cakes
    date cakes
    various grains
    wine, very good quality
    wine, decorated jars(?)
    ro-geese
    waterfowl
    ordinary fowl
    long-horned cattle
    incense in sticks
    baskets of incense
    incense by weight
    baskets of fruit
    pyramidion qw cakes
    sweetmeats cakes
    milk in jugs
    baskets of vegetables
    bundles of vegetables
    fresh flowers in bouquets
    fresh flowers in baskets
    charcoal

Most of these offerings repeat as the major substance of each specific festival. Other things that I see scanning through quickly:
    flour (barley, wheat, fruit, bb3t)
    grain of various types (barley, "white", fresh)
    biscuits
    a variety of additional types of breads, cakes, buns, and so on; since we aren't clear on what most of these are, I suspect "anything from the bakery" is a potentially decent match! Some are shaped like animals ("biscuits in a lion shape").
    long-horned oxen, bulls, short-horned cattle, calves
    fattened geese, live ro geese, trp, srt, and s3t geese
    pigeons
    other qualities of wine
    set meals
    grapes, figs, dh fruit, zizyphus fruit, isd fruit
    honey in bowls and jars
    meat in bowls
    strings of onions
    moringa oil
    papyrus (sheets, rolls, and plants)
    wood for heating
    charcoal for cooking
    oryxes, gazelles (probably "wild game", functionally)
    salt
    natron
    greens
    baskets of onions, leeks
    necklaces (faience)

I am pleased, incidentally, both by "tasty bread" and "bread of presence" in this translation. Also that the Feast of Chewing Onions for Bast does not have onions - or vegetables of any kind - listed in the offering list.
    we rise and fall

Master Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Devo is on a distinguished road Devo's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Sep 2014 @ 08:04 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic Shinto Blend

I will just run through Medinet Habu because it's a) nearly complete and b) the one I opened to at random.
    Thank you guys for the book sources, I'll see if I can look into them further.

And thank you for the list, Darkhawk. That's very helpful :3

Can I say that I loled over the thought of cakes shaped like animals? Do you think that they served a specific purpose- shaping them like that? I can imagine the fun I could have shaping baked goods into various naughty and nice shapes

Thanks again!

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ | WP

Staff Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Can I say that I loled over the thought of cakes shaped like animals? Do you think that they served a specific purpose- shaping them like that? I can imagine the fun I could have shaping baked goods into various naughty and nice shapes
    I think the animal-shape ones were translated as "biscuits", but I'm again away from my library. But even so, yes, they clearly had some sort of purpose. I think they were all powerful animals - I remember lion and hawk.
    we rise and fall

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree FriendsYour first GroupTagger First Class5000 Experience Points
    SatSekhem is on a distinguished road SatSekhem's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Apr 2013 @ 06:31 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Recon-Slanted Kemetic; Solitary Voodooist

Thank you guys for the book sources, I'll see if I can look into them further.

And thank you for the list, Darkhawk. That's very helpful :3

Thanks again!

-Devo
    So... would shaping one like a penis be an okay offering for harvest time?
    Religious Blog
    Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Staff Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by SatSekhem View Post
    So... would shaping one like a penis be an okay offering for harvest time?
    Sounds like a Mysteries of Wesir offering.
    we rise and fall

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsTagger First Class5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos is a name known to all Nyktipolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Also that the Feast of Chewing Onions for Bast does not have onions - or vegetables of any kind - listed in the offering list.
    Really? Can I ask what is listed?
    "Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
    On the Rivers

Staff Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    USA
    Religion

Quote Originally Posted by Nyktipolos View Post
    Really? Can I ask what is listed?
    Mostly bread, IIRC. Not near the book right now.
    we rise and fall

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast