Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:56:00 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sophia C
[Today at 06:45:55 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 06:39:30 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Yei
[Today at 06:03:12 pm]

Author Topic: Hobbies: Who plays an instrument?  (Read 37517 times)

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Who plays an instrument?
« on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:38 pm »
I'm just curious...

I recently started to learn guitar and picked up my recorder again.

I've played recorder and keyboard as a kid, but decided as a teen to play saxophone. I gave back my borrowed saxophone when I moved away and never had enough money to buy one.

I know it sounds like I have learned a lot, but actually I can't play any instrument really well. I'm looking forward to learning guitar well enough for accompaning campfire singing. :)

I love folk songs and Jazz and I don't need to be a Mozart. ;)

So, what's your joy?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:02:59 pm by RandallS »

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
Re: Who plays an instrument?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:47:18 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;39425
I'm just curious...

I've played recorder and keyboard as a kid, but decided as a teen to play saxophone. I gave back my borrowed saxophone when I moved away and never had enough money to buy one.

I know it sounds like I have learned a lot, but actually I can't play any instrument really well. I'm looking forward to learning guitar well enough for accompaning campfire singing. :)

So, what's your joy?

Classical and folk guitar.  Recorder.  A little bit of flute. Can kinda find my way around a piano.  Guitar is my main instrument.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 03:07:39 pm »
So, what's your joy?

I have a harp, but I haven't learned to play her yet. My former teacher was... not very good at it, and I haven't been able to afford to find a new one for a while.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 03:29:52 pm »
So, what's your joy?

I have been making good on a this-wheel-of-the-year commitment to do more music - which for me means my folk harp. (She's a Stoney End Lorraine, 29 strings, for the curious, though made of walnut.) Also some singing. (My harp is the one in my avatar, though that image has obviously been color-edited.)

(My past musical history, through the combo of my mother believing that music is core to civilised life - has included Orff-Kodaly lessons, recorder, piano, flute, and bassoon, plus a range of chorus and choir and orchestra and band. I was a music major in college, but had a really miserable experience my last semester that scarred me big time for a while. I consider myself much better at the theory/composition side than performance, too, which complicates things.)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:30:48 pm by Jenett »
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:55:11 pm »

So, what's your joy?

Recorder and pennywhistle, at the earliest. I learned trombone and tuba in band class (still have my lovely dented trombone ^_^ ) and have a guitar I'm trying to learn to play on my own. I'll always have a soft spot for my big old brasses though <3
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

FizzyCat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 10:47:52 pm »

So, what's your joy?

Vocals, primarily. I took voice lessons for eleven years, until my teacher passed away, but I learned all of my music by ear. I'm finally teaching myself to read music properly and to play the piano, at least well enough so that I can teach myself new songs.  I am having the hardest time getting my two hands to work together though :o. I finally figured that I shouldn't keep letting myself "cheat", particularly if I want to pursue musical theater and vocal performance a bit more seriously.

I tried to pick up guitar when I was much younger, but I really wanted to start voice lessons instead, so my heart wasn't in it and I unfortunately did not get very far.

cigfran

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://cigfran.net
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 10:54:38 pm »
So, what's your joy?

My primary instrument always has been and always will be the synthesizer. From the days of the big modulars to the modern virtual instruments, synths are my passion and my idiom.

I also play bass (badly), am struggling with steel guitar (pedal and lap) and have recently taken up penny whistle and ukulele for the sake of portability and whimsy.

Waterfall

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:09:07 am »

So, what's your joy?

I played the trumpet when I was much younger and I've been thinking about picking it up again, but living in an apartment, I wouldn't really be able to practice.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:15:54 am »
Quote from: Waterfall;39544
I played the trumpet when I was much younger and I've been thinking about picking it up again, but living in an apartment, I wouldn't really be able to practice.

Yeah, I had lots of bad reactions from my neighbours when I was playing saxophone. (Which was half an hour a day.)

So far in the flat I'm currently living in nobody has complained about the recorder.

I think the classical guitar isn't that loud, at least I hope it isn't.

Waldhexe

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 06:21:09 am »
Quote from: Erinnightwalker;39456
Recorder and pennywhistle, at the earliest.

It's cool to see quite a few people play recorder. Often people think it's a beginner instrument for primary school children, but I must say I don't find it that easy. I seem to have lost some lung volume since I played saxophone, maybe because of my allergy or it might simply be lack of practice. But I struggle a lot not to go out of breath while playing 'just' the alto recorder.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 06:24:42 am »
I'm just curious...

Well I played the clarinet in middle school.  I completely forgotten how to play, though.  If I can go back and do it again, I think I would've picked orchestra over band.  Maybe then I would have stuck to an instrument.

There is a guitar in my house that I have been meaning to learn to play but never got around to doing so.

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 07:29:06 am »
I'm just curious...

So, what's your joy?

I play guitar, piano, and I sing. I'm planning on learning flute and violin. I used to play trombone and trumpet, but I always hated brass instruments.

I make music, which you can find here! I'm actually hoping to have a career in recording music, if I play my cards right.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 10:55:44 am »

I can play the flute and a little basic piano and dulcimer.  I also sing - I was classically trained and almost a voice major until my mother talked me out of it.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 11:37:16 am »
I'm just curious...

So, what's your joy?

I play oboe! (double reed pride!) I plan to major in performance and am graduating high school this june. I will also be taking a singing class this semester.

bluewave193

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tumblr.com/blog/oboeadventures
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 11:38:55 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;39573
I can play the flute and a little basic piano and dulcimer.  I also sing - I was classically trained and almost a voice major until my mother talked me out of it.

Sad that your mom talked you out of it :(. What did you end up majoring in?

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 195
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 2
  • Dot Users Online:

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal