Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Hobbies: Who plays an instrument?  (Read 37999 times)

woodhick

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Who plays an instrument?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;39612
It seems  a lot of musicians also like biology.

I am a biologist and play the recorder. :)  Back in high school I played the clarinet. I wish I could meet some people local who play the recorder to play with, but its not that common.
Where the wild things are is where I am most at home." - Kim Antieau

Katia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2013, 07:32:06 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;39425
I'm just curious...

I recently started to learn guitar and picked up my recorder again.

I've played recorder and keyboard as a kid, but decided as a teen to play saxophone. I gave back my borrowed saxophone when I moved away and never had enough money to buy one.

I know it sounds like I have learned a lot, but actually I can't play any instrument really well. I'm looking forward to learning guitar well enough for accompaning campfire singing. :)

I love folk songs and Jazz and I don't need to be a Mozart. ;)

So, what's your joy?

I play the violin. :) I am fairly new myself, but practice every day...and it's amazing to see proficiency develop :)
“When the superficial wearies me, it wearies me so much that I need an abyss in order to rest.” - Antonio Porchia

Katia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2013, 07:34:31 pm »
Quote from: bluewave193;39578
I play oboe! (double reed pride!) I plan to major in performance and am graduating high school this june. I will also be taking a singing class this semester.

I love the oboe! It's always been an instrument I've been interested in learning!
“When the superficial wearies me, it wearies me so much that I need an abyss in order to rest.” - Antonio Porchia

Katia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 07:35:49 pm »
Quote from: Mithril;39628
Yeah! Weird how that is. I'm a bio major, and two of my violin friends are also bio majors.

Odd - I may be new at the violin - but I was also a biology major for 3 years...before abruptly changing to Philosophy!

Caffeinated Autumn

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 02:14:01 am »
I'm just curious...

I've played recorder and keyboard as a kid, but decided as a teen to play saxophone. I gave back my borrowed saxophone when I moved away and never had enough money to buy one.

I know it sounds like I have learned a lot, but actually I can't play any instrument really well. I'm looking forward to learning guitar well enough for accompaning campfire singing. :)

So, what's your joy?

I'm currently re-learning violin! I missed playing it a lot.

I used to play flute in 5th grade band but I quit because I got bored. I moved on to violin but then I had to quit because my grades weren't doing so well.

Hekla

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2013, 01:26:19 pm »
So, what's your joy?

I've played clarinet since junior high band.  When I was in 9th grade I got my first guitar (finally; after wanting one since 3rd grade).  Added bass to my talents about a year later.  I have a keyboard, but the piano isn't for me so I just use it for synthesizer stuff.  I also have 3 whistles that I play from time to time.

Notable past mentions are the recorder in 3rd grade, and I had a plastic drum when I was 2 or 3 (pretty sure that doesn't count, but still).

Sefiru

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 07:25:09 pm »
Quote from: Waldhexe;39550
Often people think it's a beginner instrument for primary school children, but I must say I don't find it that easy.

I know, right? I've played the recorder on and off since grade 2. I taught myself to transpose sheet music so that I can play songs that were never intended for the recorder at all. It's been a while though, I should dust it off and practice some christmas songs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Me on AO3 & Deviantart

Kuu

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:48 pm »
So, what's your joy?

I play mostly ukulele, though I can kind of strum a guitar. I like to mess around with harmonicas and recorders. I'd love to learn to play banjo and the omnichord. I love, love, love music, despite not being really talented.

Tegan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 08:55:50 am »
I'm just curious...

(snip)

So, what's your joy?

Took a few weeks of guitar lessons as a kid.  All I learned was how to pick out the Ninja Turtles theme-song.

I can sing, but my voice seems to be good for only Country Western or Folk.  If you give me enough time with a piece of sheet music, I can figure it out on a piano or French Horn.

My love is drums.  I was in marching band for 6 years.  I can still feel the tape around my fingers and the see the carrier marks on my shoulders.  I was Snare in Jr. High, then went to the Baby Bass in High School.  Currently only participating in drum circles with my djembe.

Stratplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2016, 11:22:28 pm »
I'm just curious...

So, what's your joy?

I have been learning guitar i just got a new stratocaster im self taught i watch justinguitar.com justin is very good start off with his beginner course i learned all the chords and stuff

mandymk

• View Profile
  • Religion: Non-Theist Pagan Witch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2020, 01:43:03 pm »
I'm just curious...

So, what's your joy?

I play clarinet! Started when I was 9 years old. I picked up tenor sax in junior high, but ended up focusing on clarinet for my undergrad minor.

PerditaPickle

• Staff
  • It's all metta - at least, I believe it should be
    • View Profile
    • Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity
  • Religion: Druid-ish
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2020, 09:25:24 am »
I play clarinet!

I'm a little envious of everyone who can play an instrument - I'm too uncoordinated to have ever managed to learn anything (beyond a few nursery rhyme type tunes on the recorder as a small kid).

There's a couple songs I can belt out reasonably okay, but that's the extent of my musical-ness
“Radiate boundless love towards the entire world — above, below, and across — unhindered, without ill will, without enmity.” – The Buddha
(From the Metta Sutta)

My Portrait of Perpetual Perplexity blog

Tags:

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 90
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

* Please Donate!

The Cauldron's server is expensive and requires monthly payments. Please become a Bronze, Silver or Gold Donor if you can. Donations are needed every month. Without member support, we can't afford the server.

* Shop & Support TC

The links below are affiliate links. When you click on one of these links you will go to the listed shopping site with The Cauldron's affiliate code. Any purchases you make during your visit will earn TC a tiny percentage of your purchase price at no extra cost to you.

* In Memoriam

Chavi (2006)
Elspeth (2010)
Marilyn (2013)

* Cauldron Staff

Host:
Sunflower

Message Board Staff
Board Coordinator:
Darkhawk

Assistant Board Coordinator:
Aster Breo

Senior Staff:
Aisling, Allaya, Jenett, Sefiru

Staff:
Ashmire, EclecticWheel, HarpingHawke, Kylara, PerditaPickle, rocquelaire

Discord Chat Staff
Chat Coordinator:
Morag

'Up All Night' Coordinator:
Altair

Cauldron Council:
Bob, Catja, Chatelaine, Emma-Eldritch, Fausta, Jubes, Kelly, LyricFox, Phouka, Sperran, Star, Steve, Tana

Site Administrator:
Randall

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal