collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Silent Gods (Kemetic)  (Read 2598 times)

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Silent Gods (Kemetic)
« on: January 10, 2012, 05:28:10 pm »
What do you do when your Gods do not speak?

During my rituals, I practice meditation to focus my mind and visualize my Gods. I was concerned when I tried to visualize Bast as a housecat coming to me, and all I saw in my mind's eye was a panther. (Pleasant surprise, as I knew not She appeared this way but further research verified that She does).

She calmly circled me, looked me in the eye and after She had finished Her round, left the way She came. I do not know whether it was Bast, or another deity. Or something.. bad.
I asked the creature:
"Please state your name,"
"Is your Name Bast,"
"Are you Sekhmet," and
"Is your purpose here for harm/benefit".
All of these questions I received no answer. No indication of an answer.

On another recent, vivid occurrence, I had a brief moment where Yinepu appeared to me. Arms folded and appearing in a way I had NEVER seen Him before, I asked if He was Yinepu. He gave a slight nod, and looked into the horizon of (for lack of better terminology) the place I imagine myself when I meditate, and as I looked where He looked He disappeared.

Any other time I've been approached by a God(dess), I have not heard them speak. I have not felt them speak. I have never been given the words of a God, as many people on this board seem to have experienced. The most I've gotten is eye contact, and sometimes a nod.

How do you hear your Divine? How do you better communicate with them?

Similar stories are always appreciated, if any.

Of course, I understand to keep with my rituals. I will not be giving up on them, nor my Divine. Even if They never speak to me, to be in Their presence and honor Them is enough for me.
Disclaimer: Anything I post can be classified as UPG unless otherwise stated.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
Re: Silent Gods (Kemetic)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »
Quote from: Inucirrus;38364
I don't hear my gods speak to me, and I think you'll find that more often than not when it comes to people on this board. As I've said before, in various areas, when I am communicating with netjer then it is usually via impressions, emotions, or ideas that are not something that have come from me but from "outside" of myself.

I cannot meditate for the life of me. This is something that I've always had issues with and it's possible, this is why I go through longer or harsher periods of quiet from my gods. I don't believe that that is the case, but I can't leave anything out.

When my gods are quiet, I continue to do what I know they want from me. In regards to Sekhmet, that means that I continue to give her daily offerings and awaken her statue as I learned from Eternal Egypt (by Richard Reidy, in case you are unaware of the book/interested). In regards to Hetharu, I find it far more difficult to continue with the tasks she has set out for me, but this is due to my own personal issues with our relationship as opposed to anything else. It's part of the package and something that I must work on, simple as that.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:40:46 pm by SatSekhem »
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 08:17:29 pm »
Thank you, that was very helpful! I wondered if I just wasn't getting something right, you know? A lot of people I've seen say they have conversations with their Gods.... Which makes me raise a brow.

Quote from: SatSekhem;38369
In regards to Hetharu, I find it far more difficult to continue with the tasks she has set out for me,

Tasks? I'm wondering how you know what, specifically, the Gods have tasked you with. I know once I had a feeling to offer a Coca cola one night for a ritual- to a specific deity.. Is it just a.. uhh.. sudden realization? Like an epiphany, that the thought of the God(dess) comes with it, or..? =/ Sorry if this seems like a noobish question. The only thing I've known for sure is visualizations of some Gods, and specific offerings.

Nehet

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://youtu.be/_1GRj6CNSGg
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »

I do the same rituals I do when they do "speak" to me.  Like others, I get
a sense of energies or mental impressions, not literal voices.   When
these things happen, though, I try not to immediately jump to the conclusion
that they come from the Gods.  I've seen people go in odd directions when they do this, and have some seriously WTF UPG.  Unfortunately, sometimes random head noise is just that.  It was a humbling experience, for me, when I recognized this.  

During my rituals, I practice meditation to focus my mind and visualize my Gods. I was concerned when I tried to visualize Bast as a housecat coming to me, and all I saw in my mind's eye was a panther. (Pleasant surprise, as I knew not She appeared this way but further research verified that She does).

There are a number of cat-formed Goddesses.  Have you considered Mafdet, for example?  I think some people (particularly new people) assume that all Gods with a cat-like theophany are Bast, or Sekhmet.  It's understandable, given the fact they are so well-known.  

You might want to read "the cat in ancient Egypt" by Jaromir Malek, for more info.  

She calmly circled me, looked me in the eye and after She had finished Her round, left the way She came. I do not know whether it was Bast, or another deity. Or something.. bad.

If you're not sure whether this entity is good, or bad, be careful.  Err on the side of caution.  Don't open yourself up to energies if you don't know what they are. :(

I asked the creature:
"Is your Name Bast,"
"Are you Sekhmet," and

Maybe She doesn't want to give you her name, at this time.  I'd advise against setting too many expectations.  To be blunt:  The Gods give us their names when...and if...they feel like it.  ;)

On another recent, vivid occurrence, I had a brief moment where Yinepu appeared to me. Arms folded and appearing in a way I had NEVER seen Him before, I asked if He was Yinepu. He gave a slight nod, and looked into the horizon of (for lack of better terminology) the place I imagine myself when I meditate, and as I looked where He looked He disappeared.

Any other time I've been approached by a God(dess), I have not heard them speak. I have not felt them speak. I have never been given the words of a God, as many people on this board seem to have experienced. The most I've gotten is eye contact, and sometimes a nod.

This board is full of people who have experienced Divine contact, so there is a lot of emphasis on that.  Perhaps too much.  It's easy for people to forget that divine communication is a rare thing.  Even among most people who are God-bothered, it is a rare thing.  I think the Gods sometimes "speak" to us to let us know that they exist.  Then, they back off.  

Of course, I understand to keep with my rituals. I will not be giving up on them, nor my Divine. Even if They never speak to me, to be in Their presence and honor Them is enough for me.

I agree!  I go through dry spells where I do not feel the Gods' presence.  It's been worth it, for me, to carry on with ritual.  I know that I'm still serving the Gods and upholding Ma'at, even though I don't always get "feedback."
See, life is but a movement of eternal return.  Even Trees fall ~ Berlin papyrus 3024, (A man tired of life).

Live, Ausir, for all time and all eternity! Ankh Neheh Djet!

Devo

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seshemherkekew.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:57:43 am »

It really depends. Sometimes the divine comes to me in an emotion, speech, a vision... a breeze. Gods are vast, and they come as they please. I imagine they choose whatever form will come across to you the easiest. Usually Set straight up talks to me. Osiris is far more subtle. He often shows up in emotions or visions.

What do you do when your Gods do not speak?[/B]

You keep going. Just because the gods aren't speaking doesn't mean you shouldn't still attempt to work with them. Gods speaking is the exception, not the rule. Many people give the gods attention without ever hearing a word back. Perhaps you should continue to work despite the lack of communication- maybe you're supposed to develop a relationship that doesn't rely on words, but on something else. Gods not speaking doesn't seem to be the end of the world, honestly. Sometimes I think we put too much emphasis on the spoken word. Despite how chatty Set is, there have been months (literally. months.) when he is absent or silent. That's just how it goes.

-Devo
dA | FB | LJ | WP

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 11:07:23 am »

I have never heard a god speak once in my life, and I have never felt an explicit presence--as in, I've never felt a presence that was meant specifically for me to acknowledge it--nor do I specifically "work" with any deities. Whatever ritual I do mostly consists of grounding and centering kinds of things (I usually do an hour of this every night) rather than worship. I do leave the door open for things, but more in the way of "if you can receive this, then this is for you", because if I am making any sort of connection, then I cannot currently claim to know who I'm connecting to. I'm also still learning on what the connection between god and mortal was in the worldview I'm looking to adopt, so everything that I'm doing right now is tentative.

I remember spending a year or so anxious and worried about whether or not any gods would speak to or contact me, but I'm getting over that and learning that it's okay to have something more resembling a one-way relationship... because in the end, it really isn't. You're still learning and taking away positive things from acknowledgement, even if you're not directly acknowledged back in the way that you want.

This path I'm trying to hammer out might not even work out for me in the end, but it's been such a positive learning and growing experience that there is no way that I could look back on it and see it as anything short of a blessing.

You might appreciate Juniperberry's post in the Divine Communication thread, as well.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »
Quote from: Inucirrus;38383
Tasks? I'm wondering how you know what, specifically, the Gods have tasked you with. I know once I had a feeling to offer a Coca cola one night for a ritual- to a specific deity.. Is it just a.. uhh.. sudden realization? Like an epiphany, that the thought of the God(dess) comes with it, or..? =/ Sorry if this seems like a noobish question. The only thing I've known for sure is visualizations of some Gods, and specific offerings.

It really comes from gut instinct. Both of my goddesses have set me up with tasks.

1. Sekhmet has given me the task of giving her offerings on a daily basis. This reasoning started around the time that Papa Legba entered my life. His request of me (at that point) was to give him a daily, fresh of coffee. One morning after giving him one, I turned to my Sekhmet statue and felt like I was slighting her in some way. It was then that I realized that I hadn't really offered her much of anything in a very long time. So, as time went by, I started giving her things on a daily basis (breakfast and a glass of something in the morning). After a while, I began to feel like I should go through the daily ritual I had picked up from Richard Reidy's book and TADA! That is where we are today. (Her other task for me is to honor her in a physical manifestation, which I do by donating blood.)

2. Hetharu's tasks are both even more personal, so I won't get into it in detail. Again, this stems from more impressions and gut instincts. I know that she wants me to work on such-and-such, and I understand the reasoning behind it is due to who she is as a goddess. It came more as an Ah-HA moment than anything else. A kind of, "OH, yeah. She probably would like to see that done, huh?"

Does that help?
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »
Quote from: Nehet;38398
I do the same rituals I do when they do "speak" to me.  Like others, I get a sense of energies or mental impressions, not literal voices.

I've gotten that a little, a sort of, "We appreciate the gestures" sort of feeling. Kinda a good fuzzy feeling. :D

There are a number of cat-formed Goddesses.  
You might want to read "the cat in ancient Egypt" by Jaromir Malek, for more info.  

I shall do this, thank you for the recommendation! I feel partially as though I were a cat in a past life- I really do! My partner feels the same way, and sometimes treats me as he would a cat.. Some would see it as a degrading act, I feel like a spoiled little girl. Scratch behind the jaw, petting, being up in his business... :3 (And he wouldn't do it if I didn't LOVE it; no abuse, don't worry! xD [Some people take it the wrong way])

If you're not sure whether this entity is good, or bad, be careful.  Err on the side of caution.  Don't open yourself up to energies if you don't know what they are. :(

I've been told that only on rare occasions- if ever- can a bringer of harm can claim to be a Deity. That's why I ask. If I don't get an answer for sure, then I don't allow that being to interact with me. I was questioning him/her/it when it decided to leave, anyway... <.<;; I try to make energies identify themselves.

This board is full of people who have experienced Divine contact, so there is a lot of emphasis on that.  Perhaps too much.  It's easy for people to forget that divine communication is a rare thing.  Even among most people who are God-bothered, it is a rare thing.  I think the Gods sometimes "speak" to us to let us know that they exist.  Then, they back off.  

This is comforting. Greatly so.

Quote from: Devo;38409
It really depends. Sometimes the divine comes to me in an emotion, speech, a vision... a breeze. Gods are vast, and they come as they please. I imagine they choose whatever form will come across to you the easiest. Usually Set straight up talks to me. Osiris is far more subtle. He often shows up in emotions or visions.
You keep going.

Enlightening, also comforting. And I shall keep going. I plan to always. (At least until I'm pushed in another direction, should that day come.)

Quote from: Maps;38432
I have never heard a god speak once in my life, and I have never felt an explicit presence-
This path I'm trying to hammer out might not even work out for me in the end, but it's been such a positive learning and growing experience that there is no way that I could look back on it and see it as anything short of a blessing.

You might appreciate Juniperberry's post in the Divine Communication thread, as well.

Thank you!! I very much enjoyed that!

Quote from: SatSekhem;38480
It really comes from gut instinct. Both of my goddesses have set me up with tasks.
It came more as an Ah-HA moment than anything else. A kind of, "OH, yeah. She probably would like to see that done, huh?"

Does that help?

It does help. I've been trying to avoid Bast, simply because I.. erm.. Let's not talk about that. I stopped feeling Her energy, or even comfortable speaking Her Name at my altar for a while. ._.;; But as I was preparing for a ritual one night, a sudden thought of her popped into my head, and I had that kind of gut-feeling that, "She wants some attention! ...And Coke?" On top of that, I had a gnawing at the back of my head to ask for permission to take a Coke (it was my gift to my partner for the winter season) even though I don't need to ask for permission to take Cokes. Normally, I'd just take one and it'd go unnoticed. Shared food and all. Had a feeling of dread or.. like.. GUILT, holding the Coke in my hand until I asked him for permission to take it. As if I was getting that look form my cat. O_o You know the look. I was kinda scared to leave the room until I did.
...That kind of feeling is normal?! Ooooh, boy... xD

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 01:24:17 am »

Since I follow three Egyptain gods / goddesses I suppose I can relate to parts of this from a Kemetic perspective.

Pahket is perhaps the quietest of all of them as she tends to say little and just looks or points.  When she does answer many times it more of a "Haven't you figured out yet how I speak to you?"

Bastet in many ways is the same.  She speaks on occasion but most times she is trully like a cat and says nothing and I have to figure out just what she means.  In many ways it like she is a cat and I am a mouse she plays with, a slap here, a shove there and sometimes just a wallup up beside the head.

Sekor speaks through my hands I think.  Sometimes I find I draw things or start writing things and his words and idea's come through the creation.

While they may speak on rare occasions more often than not it is via actions or examples to follow them.

Just a note but there is a ancient goddess who always takes panther form.  Can't think of her name now but every time I have ever encountered her she has never spoken to me.  She is really like the old notion of holding a tiger by the tail.  She pulls when she wants to leed, turns and snapes when you don't move fast enough for her and moves always at her rate never yours for she expects you to keep up with her.

When she has appeared its always been coming from a shimmering haze on an open field, almost desert like in its apperance.

I asked the creature:
"Is your Name Bast,"
"Are you Sekhmet," and

When I am being tested Pahket and Bastet tend to use that type scenario.  All I get is a "If you have to ask then you don't know me as I expect you to!"

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 04:24:33 am »

This depends upon the deity in question.  Some gods speak.  Some communicate through images, emotions or words that are perceived in the mind and the person knows that this information is not from the human him/herself.  

Aset communicates to me through dreams, emotions, images, or words in my head.  I also channel poetry for Her.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:08:14 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;38504
While they may speak on rare occasions more often than not it is via actions or examples to follow them.

Just a note but there is a ancient goddess who always takes panther form.  Can't think of her name now but every time I have ever encountered her she has never spoken to me.  She is really like the old notion of holding a tiger by the tail.  She pulls when she wants to leed, turns and snapes when you don't move fast enough for her and moves always at her rate never yours for she expects you to keep up with her.

When she has appeared its always been coming from a shimmering haze on an open field, almost desert like in its appearance.

I would really appreciate the name of this Goddess, if you come across it again, or remember. This sounds.. exactly as She entered- no lie. I meditate and visualize myself in a desert, so.. Well, maybe I should have mentioned that at the beginning :O Also, it seems as though Google just isn't turning up anything! :< Maybe my Google-fu is off or something today.

Quote from: SatAset;38514
,...and the person knows that this information is not from the human him/herself.  
Aset communicates to me through dreams, emotions, images, or words in my head.  I also channel poetry for Her.

Very helpful! I just need to focus less on words and pay attention to the other forms of communication! xD I wasn't blatantly ignoring them, but maybe I won't feel a little disappointed in myself when I don't hear Them speak. :D

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 03:21:20 pm »

I do think it's important to keep in mind that the default state of people is to not have direct divine communication.  Thus, what one does when the gods do not speak is keep on with life.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:26 am »
Quote from: Inucirrus;38525
I would really appreciate the name of this Goddess, if you come across it again, or remember. This sounds.. exactly as She entered- no lie. I meditate and visualize myself in a desert, so.. Well, maybe I should have mentioned that at the beginning :O Also, it seems as though Google just isn't turning up anything! :< Maybe my Google-fu is off or something today.   ..

The goddess I was thinking of is Mafdet / Maftet.  She is often seen with a Cheeta head but she is also known as the Panther Goddess.  Heck in some ways she is also known as a mongoose headed goodess from her association of killing snakes and scorpions.  Frequently seen as the cathead platform upon which the bodies are laid as Anubis leans over them.  Displayed as a black panther on images that show her climbing the Executions Staff as part of her symbology.

She predates Bast and Sekhmet with records going back to the 1st dynastic period.  Not a lot is known of her cult though as Bast and Sekhmet pretty much displaced her
though it is probable that some of the atributes of both Bast and Sekhmet are derived from her cult worship.

Tags: