Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: Conversion/Reversion  (Read 2158 times)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
Conversion/Reversion
« on: January 08, 2012, 05:17:06 pm »
Honestly, it took me completely by surprise.

I was in Greece for Christmas break, as a guest of my stepmother's family. On Christmas Day I tagged along to church, out of curiosity, as I knew next to nothing about Orthodox worship. And I was thwapped. Hard.

I'm still reeling, but let's say I know now why Christ and his Mother wouldn't give up on me. I also know that what I was fed as Christianity by the CoE while growing up was a joke compared to the intensity I experienced in that Orthodox cathedral.

I went again, during hours when there were no services, to see if it was just the crowd and the unfamiliar ritual in an incomprehensible language getting to me. Nope. In the quiet, with all those painted saints looking down at me from every inch of wall, I got to feel the pulse of a living faith that has been going on unbroken for nearly 2000 years, and I knew I wanted to be part of it.

The priest I talked to was very helpful and gave me several pointers towards resources. Luckily, there is an Orthodox chapel in town as well, a historical landmark, no less. I went to Epiphany service, and although the pulse was not as strong (the congregation is much smaller, and the chant doesn't sound just so in English), it is still there, and I still want in.

I'm not sure if I should count this as a reversion, just because I was nominally Christian before, or a conversion, because the kind of Christian I was has nothing to do with what I aim to be, but a change is a change.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Conversion/Reversion
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 08:16:01 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;38073

I think I would count it as a conversion.  The intensity and belonging you describe were no part of your early experience with Christianity.  This sounds more like  the way many people come to paganism, like coming home and being welcomed.

This does not sound like it has much in common with the background religion of your childhood - I would treat it as new.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:09:50 am »

I'm not sure if I should count this as a reversion, just because I was nominally Christian before, or a conversion, because the kind of Christian I was has nothing to do with what I aim to be, but a change is a change.

Yep, conversion is what I'd go with. Congrats!
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:21:15 am »
I'm still reeling, but let's say I know now why Christ and his Mother wouldn't give up on me. I also know that what I was fed as Christianity by the CoE while growing up was a joke compared to the intensity I experienced in that Orthodox cathedral.

Was the church old and/or with a history of a large and active congregation of believers (as opposed to people who just go through the motions)? I've noticed that any time this is true, I feel the intensity regardless of the religion. A worship area with a long history of use by "true believers" always stands out to me. What's weird is modern US megachurches with their often fringe beliefs often feel little different than the surrounding area even through thousands of people worship there every week.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 10:28:58 am »
Quote from: RandallS;38172
Was the church old and/or with a history of a large and active congregation of believers (as opposed to people who just go through the motions)? I've noticed that any time this is true, I feel the intensity regardless of the religion. A worship area with a long history of use by "true believers" always stands out to me. What's weird is modern US megachurches with their often fringe beliefs often feel little different than the surrounding area even through thousands of people worship there every week.

I've never been to a megachurch, but what I've seen of them, I suspect that sports venues can build up more character - at least there's true passion and commitment there.

The church I was in dates from the 1840s, but it was built on top of an older one, that could have dated from medieval times. I was told that's a very common practice in Greece, so yes, the sacred space can go very far back, in one or another form. Plus, it's in the 'historical centre' of the city, where there seems to be a restored palaeochristian church on every corner, like an energy web.

Outside
Inside

Our chapel in town also dates from Norman times, and the congregation are a mixed lot who hold on to faith as the stuff of community. I doubt there's much complacency or going through the motions there.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 10:29:59 am by Chatelaine »
~St Augustine~

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:02:16 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;38172

That's very neat. I've also noticed that, especially at Saint Joseph's Oratory in Montreal. I can't usually detect energy, but I could feel it streaming off of this place, especially the saints and the tomb of Frère André. It was enough to make me consider converting to Catholicism for a week afterwards!

Marigold

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:30:12 pm »
Honestly, it took me completely by surprise.

I was in Greece for Christmas break, as a guest of my stepmother's family. On Christmas Day I tagged along to church, out of curiosity, as I knew next to nothing about Orthodox worship. And I was thwapped. Hard.

I went again, during hours when there were no services, to see if it was just the crowd and the unfamiliar ritual in an incomprehensible language getting to me. Nope. In the quiet, with all those painted saints looking down at me from every inch of wall, I got to feel the pulse of a living faith that has been going on unbroken for nearly 2000 years, and I knew I wanted to be part of it.

The priest I talked to was very helpful and gave me several pointers towards resources. Luckily, there is an Orthodox chapel in town as well, a historical landmark, no less. I went to Epiphany service, and although the pulse was not as strong (the congregation is much smaller, and the chant doesn't sound just so in English), it is still there, and I still want in.

What a lovely story. I don't think it matters whether it is reversion or conversion. It just is.

My vote is with reversion as you at least had had some experience, but either could be true.

I felt like that at St. Peter's in Rome. I have also been to the Oratory and Notre Dame & St Denis in Paris as well as the tomb of St. Nicholas on Aegina in Greece. I think I felt the most feeling from St. Peter's. I want to go to Assisi next.

Very interesting comment about the megachurches. I agree. Sadly, I think their followers are a bit more scattered or something. My sil goes to a mini- megachurch where they had a rock band playing carols. ummm yea, but apparently the followers got something out of it.

Me, I prefer the feelings of centuries of true believers. The energy is palpable and beautiful.

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »

I vote for conversion, and would like to add I got a similar thrill listening to evening mass (with full choir) in the Lincoln Cathedral in England. So many years of devotion, welcoming you with kind and gentle arms.....
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 06:04:28 pm »

It's pretty common for people changing denominations within Christianity to refer to it as conversion (f'ex, C of E directly to Catholicism).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 03:56:28 pm »
before, or a conversion, because the kind of Christian I was has nothing to do with what I aim to be, but a change is a change.

That's amazing, thanks for sharing your story. I actually went to an Orthodox chapel a few weeks ago on a field trip with my university program, and it was intensely beautiful. I was tempted to convert, myself! The sanctuary and ceremony really stimulate all 5 senses, and the people who worship seemed to have a strong sense of piety and devotion. It really felt like it was alive for the worshipers, not just something they did out of duty and half-forgotten tradition.

I had a similar experience to yours when I first visited one of the Anglo-Catholic parishes in my city. I just felt a strong connection, and it just felt really beautiful and alive, with the statues, high liturgy, and people of genuine piety. It was so different from the more run-of-the-mill Anglican churches I had been to before. I had considered joining the Roman Catholic Church because I was drawn to the veneration of Our Lady, and I was happy to find Anglicans who honoured her in that way. I haven't exactly shed all my pagan practices, but one of the things that I like about the Anglican Church is that it's flexible enough to include heretics like me :p

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 06:45:20 am »
Quote from: Nyktelios;167077
That's amazing, thanks for sharing your story. I actually went to an Orthodox chapel a few weeks ago on a field trip with my university program, and it was intensely beautiful. I was tempted to convert, myself! The sanctuary and ceremony really stimulate all 5 senses, and the people who worship seemed to have a strong sense of piety and devotion. It really felt like it was alive for the worshipers, not just something they did out of duty and half-forgotten tradition.

I suspect such awareness and purpose have a lot to do with Orthodoxy being a minority in more than one sense. The faith has deep historical links with particular ethnicities (the eastern-southeastern European area), so Orthodox communities in the west are made up of cradle immigrants who hold on to the faith as part of their identity, and converts who came to it because it struck that deep chord. Neither kind is exactly likely to just go through the motions.
~St Augustine~

Tags: