collapse

Author Topic: Pagan Concept  (Read 4021 times)

Adhara

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Pagan Concept
« on: December 31, 2011, 11:28:36 pm »
Hello everyone, and jumping right here.. I was wondering .. how you, personally, would define the difference in pagan religion vs. pagan spirituality.. . I was trying to decide where to post a question and got to thinking.. and that's never good.  Still, I am interested in the answers.
"I swear by the Dog"  Socrates

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan Concept
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 12:06:41 am »
Quote from: Adhara;37094
Hello everyone, and jumping right here.. I was wondering .. how you, personally, would define the difference in pagan religion vs. pagan spirituality.. . I was trying to decide where to post a question and got to thinking.. and that's never good.  Still, I am interested in the answers.

I think for me i'd have to drop the "Pagan" facet for the path name doesn't really matter when speaking of Spirituality / Religion.  So it becomes a simple question of difference if any between Spirituality and Religion.

So for me Religion is the visible bells and whistles of the pathwalk.  It's the dogma, the rules, the somewhat tangible things one can hold in thier hand.  It's the way of viewing things and the guage through which one looks and evaluates their world and their place within it.

Spirituality is the non-tangiable facet of it.  It's the inner sensations and emotional facets of things.  It's the non-tangiable facet that allows us to "Know" and "Connect" with the divine influences.  Divinity being seen as both humanoid in form as well as the other people's of the world.  Spirituality is the way it makes us feel when we think about a certain god / goddess and the fire that burns there because of it.

Spirituality is the creative energy and force that allows us to take a leap of faith.  It's the ability to stand in support and belief of a thing even when there is no tangiable or solid evidence one can point to and say there he / she is as proof.

It's like I could stand at Lagina and know it is a place where Hekate / Hecate was worshipped and honored by the masses.  A place where religious ceremonies, rituals, actions where all carried out in her name.  A place where events where driven by date, by time, by some religious reasoning and the steps clearly identified and endorsed as the dogma of her worship.

Yet none of that reveals the charge that would go through my chest just from being there.  The many emotions that would roll over my being as the energy of the place filled my spirit and soul as it washed upon and crashed over my body.  Of the thoughs it would inspire within my mind, of the fantasies and realilities that would be triggered or initiated by being there.

Religion is the visible and tangible of my practice, Spirituality is the internal and hidden that has to be experienced and felt.  One is the day to day actions and movements of living it as a pathway while the other is the the mystery of moving within it and it within me.

Of course that is my own way of looking at it.  Yet I also know that the Religious facet via the visible is in many ways the same whether it be Artemis , Hekate / Hecate, Bastet, Pahket, Sekor or the Huntsman I honor and make offerings and libations to.  Yet no one can know the spiritual facet within my soul and spirit that each touches me with and through and the mystery and emotion of that contact and connection fills me with.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 08:17:11 am »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;37096
So for me Religion is the visible bells and whistles of the pathwalk.  It's the dogma, the rules, the somewhat tangible things one can hold in thier hand.  It's the way of viewing things and the guage through which one looks and evaluates their world and their place within it.

Spirituality is the non-tangiable facet of it.  It's the inner sensations and emotional facets of things.  It's the non-tangiable facet that allows us to "Know" and "Connect" with the divine influences.  Divinity being seen as both humanoid in form as well as the other people's of the world.  Spirituality is the way it makes us feel when we think about a certain god / goddess and the fire that burns there because of it.

I mostly agree with this, but I'd add that I see religion mostly defined externally, it's often a group's expression of beliefs, practices, etc. Spiritually is much more personal as by its very nature it is mostly internal to one person.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:17:49 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 12:26:38 pm »

I would just echo what monsnoleedra and Randall said. I would add that Religion tends to bring in very human tendencies like ego, greed and selfishness. Not always of course but whenever you get people organizing things into anything at all there will be politics and those dynamics have a better chance of rearing their ugly head.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 02:55:20 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;37122
I would just echo what monsnoleedra and Randall said. I would add that Religion tends to bring in very human tendencies like ego, greed and selfishness.

This does not in my experience distinguish it meaningfully from spirituality.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 04:11:40 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;37133
This does not in my experience distinguish it meaningfully from spirituality.

Thats cool, my experience has been different for the most part however. Perhaps I could word it better by saying it can greatly diminish the spirituality that is supposed to be the basis of religion. Personal agendas become much more of the focus than actual spiritual growth. But like I said that is just the majority of my experience with religion up until I found where I am at now.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 10:00:17 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;37145
Thats cool, my experience has been different for the most part however. Perhaps I could word it better by saying it can greatly diminish the spirituality that is supposed to be the basis of religion. Personal agendas become much more of the focus than actual spiritual growth. But like I said that is just the majority of my experience with religion up until I found where I am at now.

Given what I know of Darkhawk's experiences, I don't think she was disagreeing that it happens, just with the implication that it's sufficiently inherent to religion to make it a meaningful point distinguishing religion from spirituality.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:02:40 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;37210
Given what I know of Darkhawk's experiences, I don't think she was disagreeing that it happens, just with the implication that it's sufficiently inherent to religion to make it a meaningful point distinguishing religion from spirituality.

Bingo.  More than once I have run into people who have chosen to pursue "spirituality" rather than "religion" because it frees them to pursue their own personal agendas - as there is no structure for them to be accountable to unless they choose to make one.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 03:08:13 pm »
Quote from: Darkhawk;37231
Bingo.  More than once I have run into people who have chosen to pursue "spirituality" rather than "religion" because it frees them to pursue their own personal agendas - as there is no structure for them to be accountable to unless they choose to make one.

Mmmm, thats true as well.
-HeartShadow

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 05:54:27 pm »

QFT. Spirituality can be abused like this just as easily as religion can -- unfortunately.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 06:03:16 pm »

The other facet of that i've noticed is that many of them tend to migrate into religious influences or positions.  They follow thier own greed or desire for power then manipulate the existing religious dogma to obtain it.  Most go unnoticed outside of their grouping though some such as Jim Jones or David Karesh (sp) gain international fame, though usually through diaster.

I used to equate it to the P.T. Barnum concepts of "A Fool and thier money are soon parted!" and "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Daevyd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2012, 08:54:23 pm »

I don't think this will go against anything already pointed out, but I'll toss my answer in.  I've always thought spirituality and religion were different but not mutually exclusive.

Spirituality is your path in a relaxed, very personal way.  You go your own speed, make any turns or use whatever tools you wish.  It isn't restricted to being focused on a Higher Power, but if you think of it in that way then spirituality is like your personal relationship with your higher power.  

Religion is your path in a framework.  It's structured and you are guided by set steps.  It's much more formal and very much like the difference in walking a paved, manicured path versus the one that is uncharted.

I believe it's entirely possible to have spirituality without religion.  I know many people who have both to varying degrees.  And, sadly, I know too many people who have religion but no spirituality at all.

corvid04

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 04:48:29 pm »

My half a cent...

spir·it·u·al·i·ty    noun, plural -ties.  
1. the quality or fact of being spiritual.
2. incorporeal or immaterial nature.
3. predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.
4. Often, spiritualities.  property or revenue of the church or of an ecclesiastic in his or her official capacity.

re·li·gion  noun
1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

So, yeah, its kind of hard to have a religion with out an idea on spirituality, even if it is the lack there of. It is also hard to be spirtual with out a religion, though it is not always shared by others. The two go hand in hand, but are not the same. As for pagan

pa·gan    noun
1. one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks.
2. a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim.
3. an irreligious or hedonistic person.

This is the modern definition, which by no. two would make it fairly inclusive, it is also more than a little vague. I my self don't mind being called pagan because of the word origin.

Origin:
1325–75; Middle English < Medieval Latin, Late Latin pāgānus  worshiper of false gods, orig. civilian (i.e., not a soldier of Christ),
 Latin: peasant, noun use of pāgānus  rural, civilian, derivative of pāgus  village, rural district (akin to pangere  to fix, make fast)

(definitions by dictionary.com)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 04:54:19 pm by corvid04 »

Tags: