Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: Health: Having Self- Esteem While Fat  (Read 14181 times)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Having Self- Esteem While Fat
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:47 pm »
Quote from: Starglade;37695
"Oh, you were so pretty then."

I get that sort of thing from my mom all of the time. About my weight, gray hair, lack of makeup... whatever. My mom is also nuts, but she's a mean, passive aggressive, bitch too.

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 10:49:53 am »
Quote from: Catherine;37722
I get that sort of thing from my mom all of the time. About my weight, gray hair, lack of makeup... whatever. My mom is also nuts, but she's a mean, passive aggressive, bitch too.

My family are mostly really cool, my mum included, but she just seems to have this thing about my socially-acknowledged attractiveness.  I realised recently she's never been happy with my weight.  When I was 14-15 years old I wore a UK size 14 and was put on a diet by her.  I've only got bigger since then, and I wonder how much of that is metabolism changes induced by dangerous diets.

And that's another thing I want to see tattooed on some people's foreheads. You don't get to express "concern for my health" and in the next breath warn me off of fruit, nuts or oily fish "because it's full of sugar/fat/calories".  Or indeed, when you're a 2-packs-a-day chain smoker who hates exercise.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:51:31 am by BunnyMaz »

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 10:54:22 am »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;37813

And that's another thing I want to see tattooed on some people's foreheads. You don't get to express "concern for my health" and in the next breath warn me off of fruit, nuts or oily fish "because it's full of sugar/fat/calories".  Or indeed, when you're a 2-packs-a-day chain smoker who hates exercise.

Oh yeah, you've gotta watch out for that fresh fruit! It'll put you in an early grave! :eek:

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 01:11:50 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;37813

Hypocrisy is my favorite savory.

Brina

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:27 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;37823
Hypocrisy is my favorite savory.

Brina

My mother is fine - she has always struggled with her weight and lost every time - but her mother is a passive aggressive bitch who never really had any weight troubles.  But she DID age and in her eighties she was being snippy about my then teenaged daughter's small waist and got her to lift her loose t-shirt before I could intervene.  The bitch got what she deserved - not only was the 16 yr old slim, but she had been doing cardio-kickboxing and had a fine six pack under that shirt.  Shut great grandma's mouth for a few minutes. ;)  And yes, every other woman in the place (none of us were stupid enough to go up against an athletic 16 yr old) enjoyed it immensely.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:22:10 pm by Owl »
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 03:31:48 pm »
Quote from: Owl;37832
The bitch got what she deserved - not only was the 16 yr old slim, but she had been doing cardio-kickboxing and had a fine six pack under that shirt.

Lucky you never did anything that gave her reason to throw a chair at you.  ;)

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2012, 02:40:08 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;37833
Lucky you never did anything that gave her reason to throw a chair at you.  ;)

LOL!  She knows I would throw it back!

Actually, my kids and I never had any violence in our relationship.  Spankings on diapers when they were young, but that's about it.

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2012, 03:17:09 pm »
Quote from: Owl;37933
Actually, my kids and I never had any violence in our relationship.  Spankings on diapers when they were young, but that's about it.

I was kidding about throwing a chair at my mom, I swear.  Sometimes I long to, but have so far kept my righteous indignation in check.  ;)

Brina

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2012, 04:44:53 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;37814
Oh yeah, you've gotta watch out for that fresh fruit! It'll put you in an early grave! :eek:

Oh yeah, it's totally dangerous.  Apparently if you're fat, any sugar, fat or oil intake - even of the stuff that is good for you - is poison and totally the reason you're fat.  Nothing better than having people try desperately to figure out what you're doing wrong.

"Well junk food is full of fat, you know."

"Yup, it also tastes like crap and leaves me with grease shits, and is expensive.  Good thing I cook all my food from scratch."

"Ah.  Ummm... it's important not to eat dessert too often."

"Yeah, it'd be nice if I ever got to eat it, though.  The other half doesn't really have a sweet tooth, so I don't bother to make anything sweet except on special occasions."

"Oh.  Umm, umm... red meat is really fatty?"

"Also expensive.  I'll generally buy stuff I can spread across meals - pig trotters to make a vat of soup that'll last a week, mincemeat that can be eked out mixed with lots of veg, that sort of thing.  We generally eat vegetarian 3-4 days a week."

"Ah.  Really?  Oh, umm... portion sizes are..."

"I mean, yesterday we had a lovely dinner.  I made a spinach tart the day before and we still had half of it left, so I reheated the rest and we had it with a green salad and some new potatoes.  Yum!"

"Ahhh... oh!  Aha!  A tart?!  You had pastry!"

"Well, yes.  Otherwise it would just have been a lump of spinach, eggs and nuts bound up with a sprinkling of cheese."

"Cheese?  Nuts?!  Those have calories in, you know!  And oil! Fat!"

"No shit."

...Not that making it hard for them makes it okay, of course.  I shouldn't have to submit to interrogation to prove whether I'm "one of the good ones" or not.  I do like watching them tie themselves into knots trying to tell me off, though.  Even if they do end up deciding that my spinach tart is evidence that I sit in a dark corner eating entire slabs of raw pastry and sticks of butter every night, or something.

I think the best one so far has been herbal tea.  Yup.  Drinking fennel tea, hibiscus tea and rosehip tea is the reason I am fat, because I add a teaspoon of sugar to it.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 04:47:19 pm by BunnyMaz »

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2012, 06:27:22 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;37944
Even if they do end up deciding that my spinach tart is evidence that I sit in a dark corner eating entire slabs of raw pastry and sticks of butter every night, or something.

Sheesh, you do that too?
Think it could have anything to do with - whisper - overweight? :confused:

No seriously...
See here is the real problem.
A major problem.
A fatal problem.

And it is in most heads, whether the owners of the heads are aware of it or not.
It's a terrible mantra, that stole its way into thinking and it is:

"Food makes me fat."

Oh sweet gods above and below.
This is the worst that could've happened.
Food now is the enemy. Not the sustainer of life.
And thus every other second an 'expert' pops hir head up and explains to us all what is good and what is bad. Never mind, that they change opinion every half another second.

All those myths and lies about food.
I am so sick and tired about it.

Sir Peter Ustinov said once: The last thing we will hear, before the earth is exploding, will be the voice of an expert saying 'well, practically this is impossible.'

I don't believe anything anymore I hear.
Everybody who is determined to tell me my orange juice is bad for me, can stick it.
My body wants it, everytime I have a cold and then in abundance. I believe my body more than some 'experts'.

So now all repeat:

Food is good.
Food is good.
Food is good.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2012, 12:14:21 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;37944
Even if they do end up deciding that my spinach tart is evidence that I sit in a dark corner eating entire slabs of raw pastry and sticks of butter every night, or something.

And chocolate-covered bacon.  And baby doughnuts, made with real babies because we unrepentant fatties are so evil, daring to have self-esteem and all that.

(Note:  these are not original to me; they're running gags in the Fatosphere.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2012, 12:19:37 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;38036

http://www.haescommunity.org/

Here is a link I received from another site that some people may find interesting. You have to sign the pledge and then a number of further resources become available for you to access.

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2012, 01:27:41 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;37937
I was kidding about throwing a chair at my mom, I swear.  Sometimes I long to, but have so far kept my righteous indignation in check.  ;)

Brina

I hear that!  My mother has been driving me insane.  The only good part is that she somehow refuses to call me (local call) from the nursing home even if she needs something.  That way she can lay the guilt on about how long since the last call.

BunnyMaz

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 11:41:18 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;38036
And chocolate-covered bacon.  And baby doughnuts, made with real babies because we unrepentant fatties are so evil, daring to have self-esteem and all that.

(Note:  these are not original to me; they're running gags in the Fatosphere.)

Sunflower

What?  I thought those were two of the main food groups!

And there I thought my chocolate-covered bacon-wrapped deep-fried baby doughnuts dipped in deep-fried butter sauce were the secret to perfect nutrition.

Ah man, I know there are other blogs in the fatosphere, but man do I miss Shapely Prose.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2012, 08:04:01 pm »
Quote from: BunnyMaz;38125
Ah man, I know there are other blogs in the fatosphere, but man do I miss Shapely Prose.

I was really distressed when they closed up shop, though that was mainly because my previous exposures to Fat "Acceptance" blogs had been annoying/depressing - lots of internalized fatphobia; the main theme I was seeing was more, "People shouldn't pick on us; isn't it bad enough that we have all this horrible ugly fat?  I already hate myself; it's mean for other people to hate me too!"  I don't need that crap.

But I came to the conclusion that SP's demise was the best thing to happen to the Fatosphere - when SP was running, everyone thought, "Well, Kate and Sweet Machine and Fillyjonk are already saying it better than I could, so there's no point me blogging about FA."  But when it closed up, that was a different story - instead of just being Shapelings and posting their perspectives in comments, many of those amazing articulate voices stepped up to blog, or blog more.

There were other good FA blogs before then, too, but they were - IME, anyway - harder to find.  Once SP was no longer dominating the scene, there was a lot more networking.  It's so very much easier now to find other FA blogs, and "the community" now means the Fatosphere with its many diverse voices and perspectives, not just the community of Shapelings.

I've since seen this happen in a few other subcultures - the Big Blogger burns out, but is replaced by a myriad of smaller voices that network into a chorus that's both louder than any one person or blog can be, and more inclusive of varying perspectives.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: