+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic Witchcraft; Maenadry; D'Angeline Recon
    Pronouns
    zie/zir/zirs

Period Woes and Weirdness Ranting and Commiseration thread

I'm tired of ranting about my lycanthropy* on FB, and figured maybe some other TC folks could use a spot for ranting and commiseration!

*called such because a) mood swings turn me into a raging werewolf-like beast, b) makes me so miserable I just want to curl up, nose under tail, like a wolf in its den, and c) it's a gender-neutral euphemism for a non-gender-specific problem! (Many people who get periods aren't women (like me!) and many women don't get periods. Personally, I find it pretty upsetting to see periods referred to as "lady business" or "womanly troubles" or "goddess blessings". Lycanthropy seemed like a nice alternative.)

So currently the thing that's driving me nuts? Last month my period was, like, EIGHT DAYS EARLY. Which turned out okay, even if it sort of pissed me off at first.

So this month, nine days before the general "you might get it now" date, I start spotting. And I'm like ok, fine, I guess it's period time, and start preparing for the horror film to come while wondering if my body is trying to make up for all the times it was late and made me scrabble to get a pregnancy test. (It used to be that it would just START, no spotting before, just some cramps; now I sometimes get pre-showtime spotting, sometimes not, and very often wake up with my sheets looking like Carrie at the prom BECAUSE IT IS APPARENTLY NOW A NIGHT AFFAIR.)

(For reference -- when I say "used to" I'm referring to pre-IUD years, which were a clusterfuck of random so far as periods go. I've had my IUD out for a year and I guess my body is still trying to figure out what the hell just happened to it. In other words, my uterus is drunk.)

So I spot for four days and then...poof, nothing, back to normal. No period. No more spotting. Just...random four days of spotting; a pre-show show without the actual show.

Which normally, okay, fine, whatever, it comes when it comes you know? Except that today or tomorrow, I'm heading over to Victoria for a business trip. This requires being a walk on passenger on the ferry and then taking the bus and walking around Vic all day and then getting a bus back to the ferry and doing the walk-on thing again.

On a day when the RED TSUNAMI COULD HAPPEN AT ANY TIME. (The first day of my period is HORRID; I'm actually not sure that normal humans can lose that much blood and live. Obviously I'm a superhero. Worst. power. ever.)

Guess who's wearing a station-wagon pad today and tomorrow just in case? *points to self with thumbs* This genderqueer person.

(And I know it's coming soon because I have started craving salt like CRAZY before my periods. In the past week I'm pretty sure I've eaten the equivalent of a salt lick.)

So. Bring on the ranting and rage and woe!
    Misandric Ice Queen.

Journeyman
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    beachglass has a spectacular aura about beachglass has a spectacular aura about beachglass's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:35 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Wicca-influenced religious witchcraft
    Pronouns
    she/her/her

Re: Period Woes and Weirdness Ranting and Commiseration thread

Quote Originally Posted by Morag View Post
    Personally, I find it pretty upsetting to see periods referred to as "lady business" or "womanly troubles" or "goddess blessings".
    My bolding, because nothing drives me up a wall faster than "goddess blessings." I'm sure it's like that for some lucky(?) people, but all that idea calls up for me is the memory of my poor teenage self, curled up on the floor in pain and wondering what is wrong with me this is supposed to be my blessed time.

So, yeah, personal issues there. Now I just call it "closed for scheduled maintenance."
    "The further we go, and older we grow, the more we know, the less we show." ~ Robert Smith

Grand Master Member Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh has much to be proud of stephyjh's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Deer, beer, and Mac Lir
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Quote Originally Posted by beachglass View Post
    My bolding, because nothing drives me up a wall faster than "goddess blessings." I'm sure it's like that for some lucky(?) people, but all that idea calls up for me is the memory of my poor teenage self, curled up on the floor in pain and wondering what is wrong with me this is supposed to be my blessed time.

So, yeah, personal issues there. Now I just call it "closed for scheduled maintenance."
    Oh yeah. And whoever came up with that "have a happy period" slogan should be shot in the gut and left to bleed out.
    A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
    That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

Staff
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesOverdrive
    veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf is a name known to all veggiewolf's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Words Mean Things; Kemetic God-Slave; FlameKeeper; Reluctant Mystic; Hmtadpmt
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

.... Personally, I find it pretty upsetting to see periods referred to as "lady business" or "womanly troubles" or "goddess blessings".

...RED TSUNAMI ...
    I used to call it the Uterine Chainsaw Massacre (UCM in polite company).
    Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
    Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
    "I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
    "...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Adept Member
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree Friends1 year registeredYour first GroupCreated Album pictures
    Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack has a reputation beyond repute Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:37 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Fictional Reconstruction
    Pronouns
    he/him/his
    c) it's a gender-neutral euphemism for a non-gender-specific problem! (Many people who get periods aren't women (like me!) and many women don't get periods. Personally, I find it pretty upsetting to see periods referred to as "lady business" or "womanly troubles" or "goddess blessings". Lycanthropy seemed like a nice alternative.)
    Thaaaaaaank you.

No other ranting to add today, just wanted to high five for that.
    Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
    Sidekick Ex Machina
    Pop Culture Pagan: Ruining all of your serious spiritual pursuits with Sailor Moon and Joss Whedon since 1995!

Master Member Achievements:
    Aranel has a spectacular aura about Aranel has a spectacular aura about Aranel's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:15 PM
    Country
    UK
    Religion
    Pagan
    Pronouns
    they/their
    I'm tired of ranting about my lycanthropy* on FB, and figured maybe some other TC folks could use a spot for ranting and commiseration!

*called such because a) mood swings turn me into a raging werewolf-like beast, b) makes me so miserable I just want to curl up, nose under tail, like a wolf in its den, and c) it's a gender-neutral euphemism for a non-gender-specific problem! (Many people who get periods aren't women (like me!) and many women don't get periods. Personally, I find it pretty upsetting to see periods referred to as "lady business" or "womanly troubles" or "goddess blessings". Lycanthropy seemed like a nice alternative.)

So currently the thing that's driving me nuts? Last month my period was, like, EIGHT DAYS EARLY. Which turned out okay, even if it sort of pissed me off at first.

So this month, nine days before the general "you might get it now" date, I start spotting. And I'm like ok, fine, I guess it's period time, and start preparing for the horror film to come while wondering if my body is trying to make up for all the times it was late and made me scrabble to get a pregnancy test. (It used to be that it would just START, no spotting before, just some cramps; now I sometimes get pre-showtime spotting, sometimes not, and very often wake up with my sheets looking like Carrie at the prom BECAUSE IT IS APPARENTLY NOW A NIGHT AFFAIR.)

(For reference -- when I say "used to" I'm referring to pre-IUD years, which were a clusterfuck of random so far as periods go. I've had my IUD out for a year and I guess my body is still trying to figure out what the hell just happened to it. In other words, my uterus is drunk.)

So I spot for four days and then...poof, nothing, back to normal. No period. No more spotting. Just...random four days of spotting; a pre-show show without the actual show.

Which normally, okay, fine, whatever, it comes when it comes you know? Except that today or tomorrow, I'm heading over to Victoria for a business trip. This requires being a walk on passenger on the ferry and then taking the bus and walking around Vic all day and then getting a bus back to the ferry and doing the walk-on thing again.

On a day when the RED TSUNAMI COULD HAPPEN AT ANY TIME. (The first day of my period is HORRID; I'm actually not sure that normal humans can lose that much blood and live. Obviously I'm a superhero. Worst. power. ever.)

Guess who's wearing a station-wagon pad today and tomorrow just in case? *points to self with thumbs* This genderqueer person.

(And I know it's coming soon because I have started craving salt like CRAZY before my periods. In the past week I'm pretty sure I've eaten the equivalent of a salt lick.)

*offers hugs*

This thread is such good timing.

I have PCOS and my periods are fucking weird. Longest I've had between them was 20 months (longest naturally. I've had longer when I was on the POP). Shortest was 3 days. That was my lovely period that lasted from November until April with just 3 days of no bleeding. Fucking hell. (Part of that was due to going onto the POP to try to stop them (it's worked before), and it stopped for 3 days then started again and the doctor told me I had to take it for 3 months (I didn't )

Anyway, last period was April. Normally I get a cold and sore boobs for a week or so before it appears but I've had a cold and sore boobs since July.
    The fucker appeared today. While I was at work. And the first day of my period is like yours, and it's also the most painful.
    But I couldn't go home and curl up in bed because I had 10 miles of dog walking to do.

Today has not been fun

Journeyman Achievements:
    Viv will become famous soon enough Viv's Avatar
    Last Online
    27 Oct 2014 @ 03:49 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    evolving daily
    Pronouns
    she/her

Used to call my time of the month Hell Week. Now I don't know whether its going to be one week or two a month. When I do have it...my family lives in fear. I am NOT joking either. They swear my eyes glow red

My rant: its painful to the extreme; I should have bled to death long ago; and if the health insurance paid for an elective hysterectomy I would have had one years ago! I'd rather take my chances with hormone replacement than deal with this CURSE. That really is the correct term for it...CURSE.

Whew...felt good to let that out! ---Slinks off to find chocolate and a place to hold up till the PMS inner-meanies are abated---
    "As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Adept Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsCreated Album picturesTagger First Class10000 Experience Points
    Eskiv Champion Aisling is a jewel in the rough Aisling is a jewel in the rough Aisling is a jewel in the rough Aisling is a jewel in the rough Aisling's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan Witch

Personally, I find it pretty upsetting to see periods referred to as "lady business" or "womanly troubles" or "goddess blessings".
    "Goddess Blessings"? Maybe if the goddess in question is Eris or Kali. Otherwise, no, just no.
    Into the Grey Mists (Spiritual Blog)

"All your questions can be answered, if that is what you want.
    But once you learn your answers, you can never unlearn them."
    ~Neil Gaiman,
    American Gods

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    victoreia is on a distinguished road victoreia's Avatar
    Last Online
    30 Oct 2014 @ 01:55 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    armchair Shin'a'in, student of headology
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers
    Quote Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
    "Goddess Blessings"? Maybe if the goddess in question is Eris or Kali. Otherwise, no, just no.
    Personally, I've always preferred "the Curse." It's so appropriate.
    Do. Or do not. There is no try. --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three FriendsCreated Album pictures5000 Experience PointsYour first GroupVeteran
    Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag is a splendid one to behold Morag's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic Witchcraft; Maenadry; D'Angeline Recon
    Pronouns
    zie/zir/zirs

Quote Originally Posted by Aranel View Post
    *offers hugs*

This thread is such good timing.

I have PCOS and my periods are fucking weird. Longest I've had between them was 20 months (longest naturally. I've had longer when I was on the POP). Shortest was 3 days. That was my lovely period that lasted from November until April with just 3 days of no bleeding. Fucking hell. (Part of that was due to going onto the POP to try to stop them (it's worked before), and it stopped for 3 days then started again and the doctor told me I had to take it for 3 months (I didn't )

Anyway, last period was April. Normally I get a cold and sore boobs for a week or so before it appears but I've had a cold and sore boobs since July.
    The fucker appeared today. While I was at work. And the first day of my period is like yours, and it's also the most painful.
    But I couldn't go home and curl up in bed because I had 10 miles of dog walking to do.

Today has not been fun
    That really sucks.

((((Aranel))))

(PCOS is a possibility for me; been working on getting a diagnosis for a while. I know I get ovarian cysts because a) ultrasound and b) I can feel the fuckers and they hurt, but at this point my doctor isn't sure I have PCOS or if it's just...cysts. Idk.)
    Misandric Ice Queen.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast