Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: WHAT is going on with my Altar?  (Read 2839 times)

Arienwen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
WHAT is going on with my Altar?
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:58:53 pm »
So I have written about this new (creepy) phenomenon here

And it just keeps happening, but only with two of the glass jars.  The one by her offering shell (left front), and the one by the herb jar (left back).  

I'm wondering what in the hell is going on, and I was hoping for some new thoughts on it.  To be honest, I'm a bit creeped out by the whole thing.
Spiritual Blog
Regular Blog Writing Blog
I\'m gonna survive, even if it kills me. :cool:

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: WHAT is going on with my Altar?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 05:37:27 pm »
Quote from: Arienwen;36471
And it just keeps happening, but only with two of the glass jars.  The one by her offering shell (left front), and the one by the herb jar (left back).

Do you have a cat with access to the altar? (I ask because the post mentions "Pixie".) If so, the cat would be my first suspect.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Arienwen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:12:44 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;36475
Do you have a cat with access to the altar? (I ask because the post mentions "Pixie".) If so, the cat would be my first suspect.

It was my first reaction too, but if it was the royal pain in the butt that is my cat, the whole altar would be in shambles.  Dainty she is not. It really is just those two glass bottles.
Spiritual Blog

Erinnightwalker

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://nightwalkinghedgehog.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 07:28:55 pm »
Quote from: Arienwen;36481
It was my first reaction too, but if it was the royal pain in the butt that is my cat, the whole altar would be in shambles.  Dainty she is not. It really is just those two glass bottles.

Non-woo-woo reasons- could there be a slight tilt to the table? Glass bottles would slide where others may not, and if its just those two glass bottles then they may be slick enough to move. I didn't realize a table of mine had a tilt until I was pouring candles and the tops weren't level XD
The Nightwalking Hedgehog
I make ceramic art and am currently taking commissions. Have dream altar ware you\'ve always wanted, or a statue for a deity or spirit that you could never find? PM or email me and I\'ll see what I can do ;)

Arienwen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 08:14:22 pm »
Quote from: Erinnightwalker;36489
Non-woo-woo reasons- could there be a slight tilt to the table? Glass bottles would slide where others may not, and if its just those two glass bottles then they may be slick enough to move. I didn't realize a table of mine had a tilt until I was pouring candles and the tops weren't level XD

There probably is a slight tilt to it (gods knows my floors aren't level) however, there are four bottles on there, on opposite sides of the table, so I'm not sure why it is just affecting those two...
Spiritual Blog

River

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:22:38 pm »
Quote from: Arienwen;36492
There probably is a slight tilt to it (gods knows my floors aren't level) however, there are four bottles on there, on opposite sides of the table, so I'm not sure why it is just affecting those two...

And if it was a tilt, it would probably be obvious from the time you put them there. The amount of friction should be enough unless both surfaces were slick. You could put a non-skid surface underneath. Ideally, do you have a camera of some sort that you could video it for a couple of nights?

Keep us posted!

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 12:07:03 pm »
Quote from: River;36494
And if it was a tilt, it would probably be obvious from the time you put them there. The amount of friction should be enough unless both surfaces were slick. You could put a non-skid surface underneath. Ideally, do you have a camera of some sort that you could video it for a couple of nights?

Keep us posted!

Maybe Hermes is trying to tick off Aphrodite. :D:
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 11:18:34 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;36579
Maybe Hermes is trying to tick off Aphrodite. :D:

I don't think it is a tilt because then those two glass jars like you have mentioned wouldn't have been the only one moving. I saw the pic and all the the jars are glass so if is it sliding due to the lack of friction because the jar glass is smooth then all should be sliding. Also why is it that both glass jars are also heart shape when whatever is causing it  could have moved any of the jars. yeah, it can't be the cat because how is it possible even if your cat was 'dainty' only manage to move a couple. It not a crowded altar there are spaces, but not very big spaces where a cat or any small animal could move through without moving multiple jars at once.

I definitely agree with the person who suggested the camera that way you could see what is going on. keep it on day and night though being as how you don't know exactly when it is happening. Unless you are sure it is only at night.  I doubt a draft because that would have to be a might strong draft to move a glass jar.

I believe in spirit but not to the obsession where every time something moves I say 'it is a ghost' although it did enter my mind. I wasn't even going to mention it until after I read the other posts first. After reading how it can't be the other possibilities then that idea resurface. now, I'm not trying to freak you out it just a suggestion which is why you should definitely consider the camera. either way it is  really creepy.
R03e

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:57:20 am »
Quote from: Arienwen;36481

Could still be the cat. I have a 13lb Maine Coon Mix, and she's managed to jump up on my cluttered dresser several times and not really knock much of anything over.

Definitely set up a camera, if you can. Do webcams come with a night shot option? I have a night shot video cam I use for paranormal investigations, but it was spendy.

Karen

Arienwen

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 01:06:09 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;36797
Could still be the cat. I have a 13lb Maine Coon Mix, and she's managed to jump up on my cluttered dresser several times and not really knock much of anything over.

Definitely set up a camera, if you can. Do webcams come with a night shot option? I have a night shot video cam I use for paranormal investigations, but it was spendy.

Karen

Someone actually suggested to me yesterday that it could be the fairies (since I do have the Fairy Oracle cards, and they've been known to mess with me before this).  The jars are rather shiny and pretty...
Spiritual Blog

R03e

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 01:24:49 pm »
Quote from: Arienwen;36841
Someone actually suggested to me yesterday that it could be the fairies (since I do have the Fairy Oracle cards, and they've been known to mess with me before this).  The jars are rather shiny and pretty...

Holy cow, I had a feeling this is related to the supernatural.  Maybe the cat is still involved somehow. Animals can sense paranormal stuff maybe the cat wanted to play with the fairies or chase them away. Definitely get a cam to record it that is if you can get a  night vision cam.
R03e

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 01:29:44 pm »
Quote from: R03e;36845
Holy cow, I had a feeling this is related to the supernatural.  Maybe the cat is still involved somehow. Animals can sense paranormal stuff maybe the cat wanted to play with the fairies or chase them away. Definitely get a cam to record it that is if you can get a  night vision cam.

If there's a nearby higher surface it could be that the cat is using the altar as a launching platform. I've seen mine do that. Either way I'd set up a camera before blaming fairies.

SatSekhem

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://satsekhem.wordpress.com/
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 01:55:16 pm »
Quote from: Asch;36849
If there's a nearby higher surface it could be that the cat is using the altar as a launching platform. I've seen mine do that. Either way I'd set up a camera before blaming fairies.

I can swear on everything y'all want: it is not her cat. The Pix-i-nator is (A) too big to just jump up there and not leave the shells Arienwen has casually placed across the altar in a shambled and (B) seems incredibly aware of what surfaces are okay for her to sit on. I have never once seen that cat sit on any sacred space Arienwen has set up and I've known the two of them (lived with 'em, too) for years.

I'm all for the fae, personally. They like to rearrange small things, the bottles are both small and shiny... It could just be an inquiry for attention: "Hey, we're here. Can we have some lovin's too plz?" Or, it's Aphrodite and Hermes having a war. XD
Religious Blog
Regular Blog

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Tags: