Re: "Christ Is King" by SirPalomides
[Today at 08:57:21 am]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Author Topic: Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2011  (Read 20850 times)

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2011
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:07:42 pm »
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Wednesday, December 21, 2011, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the winter solstice (a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

So if you’re trying to stay up till dawn, or just want to pop in to converse with those of us who are, this is the place! (Or if you're lucky enough to be in the Southern Hemisphere, enjoying the warmth and sun of summer solstice, tell us what we're missing!)

In that spirit, I'm yet again resurrecting a modest rhyme I composed specifically for our winter solstice efforts. Tradition dictates that I offer it as invocation to kick things off:

A WINTER SOLSTICE REVEILLE

by Altair

Light dwindles, life despairs
A bitter chill is in the air
The sun departs, and with it goes
A fruitful season free of woes
As winter’s icy grip takes hold
The sleeping landscape to enfold
Many hours of dark must pass
Before the sun returns at last
To make its long-awaited climb
With promise of a flowering time

Until that hour, let dark prevail
Greet longest night with strong wassail
Sing and dance, feast and drink
Or solemnly reflect and think
From strange and hidden wells partake
With one rule only: Stay awake!
From dusk till dawn, hear our refrain:
Let the solstice revels reign

[In the last line, swap in the word “vigil” for “revels” if the feeling is more contemplative than festive]
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2011
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:35:49 pm »
Quote from: Altair;35634
The night beginning at sunset on Wednesday, December 21, 2011, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere.

And I've gotten the thread started early, so that those in the East of the world (Australia, Asia, and such), if any such Cauldronites there be, can get the ball rolling, since sunset on the evening of the 21st is fast approaching there.

Here's some helpful info:

The precise moment of the solstice is 5:30 AM Universal Time on the morning of December 22. For the North American Eastern Seaboard, that would be 12:30 AM EST on the 22nd (just after midnight on the night that begins at sundown on the 21st).

Sunset times on Dec. 21 for some key Cauldronite locations. (All times are local times.)

Berlin, Germany -- 3:54 PM
New York, NY -- 4:32 PM
Philadelphia, PA -- 4:39 PM
Lansing, MI -- 5:07 PM
Calgary, Alberta -- 4:31 PM
Winnipeg, Manitoba -- 4:29 PM
Nanaimo, BC -- 4:20 PM
Honolulu, HI -- 5:55 PM

As for this year's "non-theme" for this thread, it's sharing songs and/or videos that capture that holiday (whichever holiday you celebrate this time of year) spirit. (Thanks to Juni for the great suggestion.) Run with that or ignore it as you see fit.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 02:50:59 am »
Quote from: Altair;35641
Sunset times on Dec. 21 for some key Cauldronite locations. (All times are local times.)

As for this year's "non-theme" for this thread, it's sharing songs and/or videos that capture that holiday (whichever holiday you celebrate this time of year) spirit. (Thanks to Juni for the great suggestion.) Run with that or ignore it as you see fit.

And since you've got my location on the list, I'll start early, too.  ; I love this version. :D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:52:28 am by victoreia »
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 07:41:59 am »
Quote from: Altair;35634
Hey, what is this thread? The night beginning at sunset on Wednesday, December 21, 2011, is the longest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. To celebrate the winter solstice (a.k.a. Yule, Midwinter, and probably other things, depending on your tradition), a bunch of us plan to stay up all night and post here in this thread off and on throughout, sharing our experiences or random thoughts...sharing photos or artwork throughout the evening...or just encouraging each other to stay awake!

And wouldn't you figure it would be raining all day and I probably wouldn't see the sunset?  Might be able to catch the sunrise, though.

I'm planning to get ready by taking short naps in the daylight hours punctuated only by an errand I need to run this afternoon.  Hopefully I will be able to get back on my computer before sunset!

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:46:42 am »
Quote from: victoreia;35658
And since you've got my location on the list, I'll start early, too.  ; I love this version. :D

Very cute!

Altair

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:48:05 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;35666
And wouldn't you figure it would be raining all day and I probably wouldn't see the sunset?

Same here in NYC. But at least it's mild, so I may be doing a lot of outdoor stuff in the middle of the night, to keep sleep at bay, if the rain lets up.

Saoirse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 09:57:33 am »
...Sunset times on Dec. 21 for some key Cauldronite locations. (All times are local times.)

Just a couple of minutes until Sunset here, although it's be dreary all day so I can't actually see the scene itself... I'm just drinking some eggnog :p contemplating the past year and how much I have grown spiritually.

Stardancer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 10:17:12 am »
Quote from: Saoirse;35679
Just a couple of minutes until Sunset here, although it's be dreary all day so I can't actually see the scene itself... I'm just drinking some eggnog :p contemplating the past year and how much I have grown spiritually.

It is twilight here now. Clouding over, so the dark is approaching fast. Be welcome, night.
My (mainly) astrological blog
http://sidselh.livejournal.com/ Last update 25. oct \'11

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 10:21:02 am »
Quote from: Saoirse;35679

Where exactly are you?  Sunset isn't for hours in most parts of the US:confused:

My Spiritual Blog

Saoirse

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 10:27:22 am »
Quote from: Melamphoros;35686
Where exactly are you?  Sunset isn't for hours in most parts of the US:confused:

I'm actually in Frankfurt, Germany :)

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 10:33:24 am »

It's just getting a darker shade of murky.
The sun was not out the whole day.

But now it starts to get dark. Street lights are not yet on, but I guess it'll be a matter of a few minutes. (4:33 pm local time)
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 10:37:33 am »
Quote from: Saoirse;35687
I'm actually in Frankfurt, Germany :)

Ohhh, makes sense:ashamed:

My Spiritual Blog

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:54 am »
Quote from: victoreia;35658

There are two movies that make me feel the holiday season has started; one is White Christmas. The first (solo) version of White Christmas in the movie always puts me in a thankful headspace.

[video=youtube;tRYPWlyU_Zk]http://youtu.be/tRYPWlyU_Zk[/video]
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Trillcat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:43 am »
Quote from: Altair;35677
Same here in NYC. But at least it's mild, so I may be doing a lot of outdoor stuff in the middle of the night, to keep sleep at bay, if the rain lets up.

I'm in Madison WI, and it's overcast and drizzly here as well,  but mild. Supposed to clear up this afternoon, then cloud back up overnight, snow showers expected for tomorrow.
I'm putting up decorations right now, well trying to anyway, my new cat, Luna, is deciding everything is just the best toy ever!  We will see how it goes, I may have to take it all down (anything with tinsel/garland already had to be put away)

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
Up All Night: A Technopagan Winter Solstice 2011
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:54 am »
Quote from: Tana;35688
It's just getting a darker shade of murky.
The sun was not out the whole day.

But now it starts to get dark. Street lights are not yet on, but I guess it'll be a matter of a few minutes. (4:33 pm local time)

It's 15:48 in Glasgow, Scotland and the sun has just set - though it's been hiding behind the clouds all day. The streetlights are on and it's getting pretty dark

Tags: