collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Creation Myth  (Read 6124 times)

Meritmut

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Creation Myth
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 04:23:34 pm »
Quote from: SatSekhem;36170
I know what you mean.

As far as creation myths, I was given to understand that there are a few variations: There are the ones where a creator deity manifests on an island, in/on an egg, on a lotus blossom, or creates themselves.

The lotus blossom myth is by far my favorite, I found one last night where Amun-Re emerged from the blossom rather than Re or Nefertem. I think that was is just beautiful :)

PrincessKLS

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: goddess worship grey, folk magick, hoodoo inspired.
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 11:20:55 am »
Quote from: Meritmut;35965
I am also a distance learner lol, that's why I was hoping there was a virtual source or at least another book that is less expensive. Thanks so much for looking :) I really appreciate it, this has been a several month hunt and this is the closest I have gotten to a creation myth for him lol I am wondering if it is possibly in Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume II: The New Kingdom by Miriam Lichtheim

I have a book about creation myths and as far as I've read it sounds interesting. I can't remember the name right off hand but I do wonder how many pagans actually believe that their creation myths happened. I know a lot of Christians in the US take there's literately or at least semi-literately and that's one of the reasons why evolution can't be taught properly in schools. I didn't even get a good story and facts on evolution until I went a college level science class. In college they are more blunt about teaching evolution.  I was just wondering about that.
PrincessKLS

Darkhawk

• View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 02:41:13 pm »
Quote from: PrincessKLS;160696
I do wonder how many pagans actually believe that their creation myths happened.

Define "happened".

You seem to mean this question as, more or less, "How many pagans are stupid enough to mistake poetry for scientific fact".  The idea that poetry, allegory, and parable are historical transcriptions of events is always a minority religious position; it is uncommon in Christianity, and its apparent popularity is relatively recent in terms of religious history.

(Exercise for contemplation:  what test could someone devise to distinguish between the Big Bang and the orgasm of a creator deity?  Gods know I've gotten off hard enough that I see nothing but a bright light, every so often.)
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Tags: